Hair loss in a dog with EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
awesome
State: Georgia

Hair loss in a dog with EPI

Post by awesome » 02 Oct 2018, 11:57

Hey Folks,
I am new to the EPI4DOGS forum. I rescued a 3-1/2 shetland sheepdog in April. Shortly thereafter she was diagnosed with EPI. Started her on the enzymes and B-12 injections. The first enzyme we tried didn't work so my vet switched her to another one. It seems to be working because she gained almost 3 lbs. the first month she was on the new enzyme. But now she has suddenly started losing her fur. I took her back to the vet last Friday and her labs were normal. Has anyone had a dog with EPI and experienced sudden fur loss? Any words of wisdom for me? thanks,
Susan, mom of "Awesome" my sheltie.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Re: Hair loss in a dog with EPI

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 02 Oct 2018, 12:12

I could filled my dyson eveyday :lol: when Maddie was first DX they blow a new coat even when they shouldnt its all part of the repair process.
Are you folowing the EPI protcol that we recommend.
Porcine Enzymes 1 tsp to 1 cup of food.( if usa based)
We recommend grain free food below 4 % fibre do not restrict the fat.
B12 important you keeo this above 600 for life.
Antibotics if the poop goes south if the intial dose of enzymes dont improve the poop.
Also dont worry if they start to pong that normal as well :D
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 02 Oct 2018, 14:28

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum!
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

C.U.pup
Pet name: Dash
My name: Leonard

Post by C.U.pup » 02 Oct 2018, 17:32

:shock: OMG am i sooooooo glad to see this post as my pup too has had a lot of his coat come off him too and he is non Malting
So this may be be the norm for IEP dogs ???

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 02 Oct 2018, 18:11

Hello Susan,

A warm welcome to you and your "Awesome" pup!

Yes, many dogs "blow their coat" when they are first diagnosed. My German Shepherd, Kolby, strangely enough did not lose his coat. He did everything else!

Glad to hear Awesome is gaining weight and doing well. Hopefully, the enzymes you have now are porcine replacement enzymes. I am guessing that you may have been using plant enzymes before and they are not effective.

How are her poos?

Barb

sonjawooden
State: Colorado

Post by sonjawooden » 04 Oct 2018, 12:00

Hello,

I would love to hear more about what to expect in the newly diagnosed and newly treated EPI dog. My 3 y/o female German Shepherd is a long haired GSD. Prior to diagnoses, we noticed her tail went from looking like a fox tail, to looking like a rat's tail (yuck!). Her coat had thinned out and colored had dulled. Now after one month of treatment, she is getting a little new fur on her tail, and her fur is coming out in huge clumps when I brush her. Her coat still looks bad and seems matted and dull. I am hoping as she continues to get better she will get a new fluffy long haired coat again. Should I be patient or should I give her some type of salmon oil or something to help. If time will fix it, I'd rather not have to spend money on one more thing, as I just ordered Tylan to help her probable SID. And maybe the SID also causes their coat to be a mess too, I'm not sure. Thanks again. Sonja
My name is Sonja. Zoe is a 3 y/o female German Shepherd. Dx 8/30/18. Weighed 60 pounds at dx and now weighs 66.6 pounds (after 19 days of treatment). Sport Dog Food Whitefish formula 2 cups 2 times a day. Currently using Bio Case enzymes 1 7/8 teaspoon per 2 cups of food 2 times a day, but will be switching to Enzyme Diane's 6x when we run out. Add slightly less than 1/2 teaspoon Slippery Elm to each feeding (2x/day) and 1000 mg of B-12 PetFactor once a day added to dinner.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Oct 2018, 19:13

Hi Sonja,

The body having gone so long without absorbing nutrients from food (EPI) is why the coat gets ratty looking..... once they start on the enzymes.... it takes time, but little by little... the old ratty looking coat starts coming out and a healty new coat starts filling in...........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 08 Oct 2018, 14:04

Oh I remember the shedding in the beginning - it was awful!! It should get better once the body gets the nutrients it needs and replaces the old malnourished coat with the new fur. However, if it continues to the point you are concerned, don't hesitate to see your vet.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 08 Oct 2018, 22:42

Izzy has curly hair like a poodle.... and she looked pathetic..... kind of like a patient in the cancer ward where they lose hair from treatment..........it was so sad ....... but then OMG.... her hair when it grew back in was lush and thick with lots and lots of curls !
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jessicamiller269
State: New York
Pet name: Samson
My name: Jessica

Post by Jessicamiller269 » 02 Sep 2019, 01:52

So people experienced hair loss when that happens did your dogs also have dry
Flaky skin and itching ??