Need help

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Kzh

Re: Need help

Post by Kzh » 10 Oct 2018, 14:19

Hi Olesia
Thanks for the info. We took the epi test and B12 test on Monday. So we are still waiting for the results. For now I will continue with the Creon as his allergy to beef is higher than pork. Also vet wants to wait for the epi results to come before he treats for sid. In the meantime I am giving pre and pro biotic on the hope that it will clear on its own as antibiotics will take their toll on his system.
I have increased the dose of Creon to 1 and a half capsule with each meal and his poo seems a little better.
Is it OK to soak his dry food in hot water, let it cool and sprinkle the half Creon on it? I found that sprinkling it on dry it doesn't blend with the food well and he leaves some at the bottom of his bowl. I had rather preferred to give it to him whole but ever since I increased to 1 and a half capsule, I can't give him the half capsule by mouth.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Oct 2018, 22:48

Yes ... it is okay to "soak his dry food in hot water, let it cool and sprinkle the half Creon on it" just as long as you wait for the food to cool..... you just don't want the enzymes to be on hot food, as that can destroy the enzymes.... and with Creon.... just sprinkle it on top of the food and then serve immediately, do not mix it in the food.

Sounds like the increased dose of CREON helped. Lots of people have to give an increased amount of CREON, but we always recommend starting with the least amount and then working up to a larger dose only if needed.

Let us know when you get the test results!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 22 Oct 2018, 15:17

Welcome to our family. You are in good hands with Olesia and Jean and all of our Creon users!

Hang in there. This is the hardest part.....waiting for diagnosis and getting everything balanced. You are doing great. Your pup is lucky to have you.

I heartily endorse the log/journal. It saved our sanity. It helps keep everything in one place and it lets you see what is working and what isn't. Record everything you give your pup and the amounts and the resulting poos.

Let us know when you get the test results.

Barb

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Oct 2018, 19:20

you should be getting the test results back very soon.... PLEASE keep us posted.

And... i just realized that in yourlast post, you mentioned that you wish you could continue to give in capsule form but felt that with 1+1/2 capsule... that you no longer can do that..... well.... you can.

Buy empty gel caps on line (....or they are often available at health food stores..... and when yo open 1 capsule to split in half, just pour the half into an empty gel cap... and leave the remaining half in the existing CREON capsule. :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 24 Oct 2018, 14:08

Hi just wanted to pop in and say welcome to our EPI family. Have you received the test results?
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Kzh

Post by Kzh » 26 Oct 2018, 16:38

I have been out of the country for the past 10 days so I have not been able to keep in touch with you. The break was good for me cause I was at the edge of a breakdown with all the stress I have been going through with my pup for the past months.
First of all I would like to thank all of you for your warm welcome and encouragement. You have made this situation easier.
I have not got the epi results yet. It has been 2 weeks now. The vet said any day now. I am still giving him 1 and a half capsule with each meal. He us doing better. Gas gained 2 kilo on the past 3 weeks and seems stronger and more energy. His poo most of the time is good. Still have one or 2 a little soft. Can't pick it up without leaving half of it behind. Not sure if I should add more Creon or maybe order online for something better. What advice can you give me please? Thanks

pommymommy
State: California

Post by pommymommy » 29 Oct 2018, 00:47

Hi! We struggled for 2 years due to a porcine intolerance. Long story short, my little one couldn't tolerate the powder enzymes. After exhausting every option possible (including plant based enzymes), I decided to try Creon. It was the best decision ever! Emptying the capsule onto his wet food gave my little one (he is only 7 pounds) mouth sores so I ended up splitting the capsule into 2 #4 gel capsules (he can't swallow the large ones). He is now on half a Creon 10 with every meal. I wrap the capsule with a tiny piece of Greenies pill pocket paste, hold it in my palm and he just takes and swallows it whole. I immediately follow up with his food.

I was buying 3 bottles for 104.00 online at www.universaldrugstore.com but found the exact same product on a recent trip to Italy for about 20.00 per bottle. Needless to say, I stocked up for the next year :)

Good luck and let us know about the results!
Suzy - Greatful for finding this forum and meeting such nice and helpful people.

Romeo, DOB 04/23/2004- healthy weight 11.1 pounds (I should say overweight); EPI weight 5.8 Pounds :(..Currently 7.2 :)

11/18/13 results: TLI: 1.3 (5-35), diagnostic for EPI. Folate 17.2 (6.5-11.5). (Consistent with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth or vitamin supplementation). Cobalamin 458 (249-733)

Pepcid AC, 2.5 mg as needed

Update 11/2/2016 started using Creon 10,000. Update 1/7/2017...the Creon is working. Gained almost a pound in one month! Keeping fingers crossed :)