Update on Ruby

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Patsy

Re: Update on Ruby

Post by Patsy » 10 Oct 2018, 05:33

Great news! It would be lovely to have a photo of beautiful Rubydoo! I at last managed to post a photo direct from the iPad without using photobucket etc.
Yes, too many cosmetics chemicals cause problems and even too much washing. Groomers ought to be aware of this. Being patient has worked for you both. Clever you!
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Ruby
State: Florida

Post by Ruby » 04 Apr 2019, 23:31

Have a question and also a warning. My question is Since my dog was shampooed 3 timew with medicated shampoo.. Lost her hair her skin has turned black. Did anyone have to deal with this problem? And how did you handle it? I bought Vetericyn for wound and skin irritations and spray it on her 2 times a day. It has made her skin softer, but still dry if that makes any sense. Her hair has started to grow back. I know I posted before that her hair was growing back BUT when I used Advantage on her for fleas it made her itchy and she also lost the hair that had been growing...Scream So let me know if you can help about the black skin.

Warning>>>> I used Advantage II on my other dog and called to see if I could apply another application and they told me it was alright after the 1st application if it was 14 days later. Well, I did what they told me. (It is even on the website for Advantage II) ...Anyway, my other dog had the 2nd application.....FORGET IT...he started coughing, wouldn't eat, and then after awhile didn't know where he was or where we were if we were in another room. He would just stand there and scream till we would go to him and let him know we were there and he would come with us. Even out in the backyard to do business he would stand there and scream for us. I became disorientated. He is doing much better now ...eating, not coughing and stays close. Please don't give your dog this stuff when they say you can use so soon. I have switched to Frontline and at least he isn't going nuts. I did call the company and they said it wasn't caused by the two applications. Go figure.

Ruby

Post by Ruby » 04 Apr 2019, 23:33

I meant He became disorientated .... my mistake lol

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 05 Apr 2019, 03:50

hi there

thanks for the update

now then

my friends dog had the same issues with losing hair, skin outbreaks, blackened skin, etc and it occured to me it might be Cushings disease, and the blackness of the skin makes me think even more so, and, I was on the money Cushings it was, and is,

and the dog was going to a groomer, and they thought a reaction to shampoo

so

Can you ask your vet to run tests specifically for Cushings ASAP

or

https://wagwalking.com/condition/black-skin-disease

this one, my friends dog was also considered to have this as he is a Pomeranian, but Cushings it was, and its treatable, he is 14 now and gorgeous

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 05 Apr 2019, 09:18

Thanks for the update on Ruby. I have never had a dog have a reaction to Advantage, Advantix nor Frontline plus, sorry you did. What was the need for the second application before the 1 month time was up?

I know they always recommend blue original Dawn dish soap to get things off coats.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 05 Apr 2019, 10:47

Oh Marilyn I'm so sorry Ruby has had such a time. I know you are just the right person to stick with her and get her straight.
It is interesting what Jean said about Cushings.....I hope your vet will check for that so she can be treated if so.
I had a dog years ago that didn't do well with Advantage, she would do strange things like hide in the closet or jump on someones bed and pee. Behaviors that were very atypical for her. So I'm glad you have moved on to another treatment for ticks and fleas.
Hang in there, I have faith you will nurse your Ruby back to full coat again!
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 Apr 2019, 18:40

So sorry to hear sweet Ruby is having issues again. I too agree with Jean - I would contact the vet and get her tested for Cushings. My sister's cocker spaniel had it and lived a very long, happy life.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Ruby

Post by Ruby » 08 Apr 2019, 01:00

I have a question about Fish oil for dogs skin ....I use Earthborn Great Plains Feast The fish oil in this do food is listed as follows: Omega-6 Fatty Acids not less than 2.60% Would my dog need more because her skin could use some help because it is dry.

I can's seem to find anything about amounts of fish oil for EPI dogs. But, I will try and look up some info if it is listed on this website. Thanks for any input you have on this question .

Thank you for your previous replies

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 08 Apr 2019, 05:00

Hi Marliyn its hard to determine a dose in dog food compared to a tsp dose you could try and add some salmon oil but as with all epi things go slowly the other option would be coconut oil that skin being dark may indicate as others have said another problem may be worth discussing with your vet.

Ann
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 08 Apr 2019, 18:45

Hi Marilyn
Googling brought up Alopecia X. It doesn’t make anything else worse. Dogs with immune problems are susceptible. Vets can give help, so I would bring it up next time you are there.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.