Update on Ruby

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Ruby
State: Florida

Update on Ruby

Post by Ruby » 06 Oct 2018, 22:40

DON'T GIVE UP.....Want to thank you all for your input. Ruby my collie girl is doing better. She had lost almost all her hair months ago WHY? Because the groomer shampooed her 3 times at one visit with medicated shampoo. She went through a very difficult time ...lost hair on her legs, face, all the top part of her body and sides. Really sad, really scared. My vet gave her antibiotics made her itch more,,,, then gave us anti-itch med...made her itch even more. So I stopped it. ONE PERSON FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY ON THIS EPI WEBSITE shared one thing with me.which helped to hang in there. She stated that I should leave her alone. No shampoo, no anything just let her body rest and the hair will start to grow back.
Well, I listened to her advice about the follicles resting and that the hair would grow back. It has been 9 months. I have used cool wash cloths to keep Ruby's skin cool, Rub her, like a massage now every night. HER HAIR IS GROWING BACK...on her legs and on her back and even her face. Some are very short and some are longer so that I can see the hair. Long post I know. BUT, I want to thank all of you that have given input to help us through this time. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. Ruby will be in the upcoming calendar...when she looked real beautiful before all this BUT, she is still my beauty and will get to looking good again. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR LOVE, CARE AND DEDICATION..... DON'T GIVE UP.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Update on Ruby

Post by Jean » 07 Oct 2018, 04:51

Blimee, that has been a rough time for you, and thank you for your kind words, new people need all the support they can get, and peoples experiences are invaluable

this is an interesting article

https://wagwalking.com/condition/shampoo-allergies

lets face it we all have intollerances, and until its too late we have no idea

I look forward to her picture in the callendar, and for your updates

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 07 Oct 2018, 09:10

What a tough time you and Ruby have been through! Sometimes, less is more, and doing nothing (or letting things rest) is what is required, but oh that is so hard to do because we want to fix things and see results. It always amazes me how the wisdom of the Universe works through people and gives us the answers we need.

Thank you for sharing this. Gratitude to the person who gave the good advice. So glad Ruby is improving. Can't wait to see her beautiful picture in the calendar.

Barb

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Oct 2018, 10:28

I am so glad to hear that Ruby Doo has her hair growing back! Sometimes when we can't fix them spot on and it drags out it is discouraging but you hung in there and are on course. Thanks for sharing your story!
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Kodis Mom
Staff

Post by Kodis Mom » 07 Oct 2018, 11:56

Yeah Ruby ! Thank you for sharing Ruby's story and for a great update ! This forum is about helping and sharing with those in need. Even though I personally have 18 years experience with epi, I learn something new. Can't wait to see the photo !
Kodi
B. 8/19/2010 Diagnosed at 11 months.
Kodi is now on Natures Logic turkey and/or pork kibble, 2 cups with 2 teaspoons of enzymes, 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground fennel seed (for tummy upsets) twice a day, plus one one B12 capsule from Wonderlabs. She has been very stable and on occasion needs a dose ofTylan.
She is our second GSD with EPI. It was not so scary this time ! And thank goodness for epi4dogs.com ! 💝 Kodi passed on August 25, 2023 just after her 13th birthday.💝 Forever grateful to Olesia and epi4dogs. She live a long and adventurous life with EPI.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 Oct 2018, 16:30

I'm so glad to hear Ruby is finally on the mend. I know you have been through so so so much with her this past year. I agree, sometimes the best thing we can do is let nature take its course but when your little one is suffering you just want to fix it as fast as you can. Ruby is very lucky to have you
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Oct 2018, 18:27

Hi Marilyn..... and what great news... Ruby Do is finally healing..... WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to the person who helped you and thanks for updating us.

Please continue to keep us posted and very much looking forward to seeing Miss Ruby Doo in the 2019 EPI calendar :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Ruby
State: Florida

Post by Ruby » 09 Oct 2018, 22:03

Thank you for all your kind replies. I want to be an encouragement to anyone that needs that extra push to not give up on their pet with EPI. I am so blessed to have found this forum so Ruby can have a life. Your response brought tears to my eyes how touching that you should care. Thank you soooooooooo very much.

There is one other thing I would share with you all but I am not sure if it needs to be listed separately. Ruby started to have an infection in her eye so I researched once again. I don't sell this stuff or nothing like that. But, I found something to help heal her eye that is not with a prescription and is non-toxic and non-irritating. You could get it at Petco, Not Petsmart. It is called Vetericyn plus eye wash also Vetericyn plus antimicrobial ophthalmic gel. I have used the eye wash and have seen a great change in her infected eye. They also have Vetericyn plus wound and skin care. I bought it, but haven't used it yet. Ruby has very dry skin right now I probably would try it on a small spot and see if this will help her skin. I thought I would share this with all of you and you all can look it up and research it for yourself. It is used by a vet called Dr. Pol who has been on Animal Planet a number of times and he has u tubes. So anyway, I can tell you this the eye wash does work.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Oct 2018, 22:20

Marilyn, you are a great dog mom!
I have used the Vetricyn wound care on quote a few dings. Great products. Thanks for the tip on the eye care.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Oct 2018, 23:31

Marily, Ahhhh.... thanks for your kind words. Miss Ruby is quite the special gal :) and she sure has been thru hell this past year so we are thrilled to hear that she is finally doing so much better.

Thanks for mentioning the Vetericyn... i too have used it in the past and was pleased :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........