Enzymes given in capsules

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
ed33935

Enzymes given in capsules

Post by ed33935 » 07 Oct 2018, 08:22

I would love to know who gives their pet the enzymes in capsules and not mixed with the food. How do you do this? Before eating or after? Do you find that this is effective? I'm so happy I have this group because nobody at my Vet seems to know much about this.

Thanks in advance.

Judith
State: Delaware

Re: Enzymes given in capsules

Post by Judith » 07 Oct 2018, 09:55

Hi.
I give Nate Chemeyes Enzymes capsules. I give them a few minutes before he eats. They have worked perfectly for him. I import them from the UK. Hope this helps
Nate and Raymi's mom
Nate 4 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
EPI, typical Addison's disease and epilepsy
TLI 2.0 June 2016
Chemeyes enzyme capsules
Hydroxocobalamin injections weekly
0.5mg prednisolone daily for Addison's
Percorten-V/Zycortal injection every 28 days for Addison's
Zonisamide 2x for epilepsy

Raymi 6 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Allergic to chicken and turkey

Eats Canine Caviar Venison kibble 3x

Nate and Raymi happily live in Bogotá, Colombia and Dover, Delaware.

ed33935

Post by ed33935 » 07 Oct 2018, 10:00

Judith wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 09:55 Hi.
I give Nate Chemeyes Enzymes capsules. I give them a few minutes before he eats. They have worked perfectly for him. I import them from the UK. Hope this helps
Wonderful to know. How did you arrive at a dose amount? Don you have a link to their site? I live in Florida in the US.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Oct 2018, 10:12

Hi. I gave Mickey his enzymes in capsules right before his meal. He was 17lbs and 1/8 teaspoon per meal. I got a capsule filler on Amazon.com. If you do this you need to monitor the poop to make sure it doesn't take a bad turn. I used enzymes from Diane. The dose is 1 level teaspoon per 1 cup of kibble or 3/4 teas for 1 cup wet food.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

ed33935

Post by ed33935 » 07 Oct 2018, 12:05

jilbert57 wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 10:12 Hi. I gave Mickey his enzymes in capsules right before his meal. He was 17lbs and 1/8 teaspoon per meal. I got a capsule filler on Amazon.com. If you do this you need to monitor the poop to make sure it doesn't take a bad turn. I used enzymes from Diane. The dose is 1 level teaspoon per 1 cup of kibble or 3/4 teas for 1 cup wet food.
thank you so much, I was told by my vet a much higher dose. I suspect they dont know what they are talking about. My little Lizzie is only about 8lbs and i'm reducing the dose from what the vet said.

I will be ordering the capsules and filler as you suggest. Your information is a godsend. I'm helping her get over a urinary tract infection and EPI.

This will help tremendously.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Oct 2018, 15:36

Glad we all can help.
Please remember the enzymes have nothing to do with the weight of the dog. It goes by how much your dog eats.
You will need to get the empty gel caps also.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 Oct 2018, 16:22

Well your little Lizzie is adorable!! Most vets simply go by the instructions on the prescription enzyme bottles, which is incorrect. The recommended starting dose is 1tsp per cup of kibble or 3/4tsp per can food as Jill stated. Too much enzymes has the same result as not enough enzymes - loose poop. Also as Jill said, watch the poops carefully to see how your little one does with this method.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Oct 2018, 17:00

Ann, Jill and Madelon all gave you spot on advice with how to use powdered enzymes and YES you can pour the designated amount (according to how much food you are feeding that meal) into an empty gel cap. Just know that every so often.... a little more or a little less is needed... give the recommended dose suggested here a few days trial (3 to 5 days or even more day) watch the poos and then decide if you think maybe a dose adjustment is needed. Also know that sometimes too much enzymes will cause loose stools as will not enough enzymes.... so if you have to make an adjustment....especially since you are encapsulating the powdered enzymes.... it might take some trial and error... but you ahve been given a great guideline to start with :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

ed33935

Post by ed33935 » 07 Oct 2018, 17:35

Madelon wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 16:22 Well your little Lizzie is adorable!! Most vets simply go by the instructions on the prescription enzyme bottles, which is incorrect. The recommended starting dose is 1tsp per cup of kibble or 3/4tsp per can food as Jill stated. Too much enzymes has the same result as not enough enzymes - loose poop. Also as Jill said, watch the poops carefully to see how your little one does with this method.
Thank you very much. Today was a good day. Lizzie actually is eating her EN food with her enzymes. I was shocked. She seems to like it. :)

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Oct 2018, 18:24

Well that is INDEED good news :)

Wishing you continued good luck with her eating all her food and hopefully things will start to improve. Please keep us posted on her progress and just know that if you run into any more hiccups, just let us know and we will do our best to help you out!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........