Doc's Skin

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Doc's Skin

Post by Madelon » 03 Jul 2018, 16:41

Doc's skin is the worst it's ever been - poor guy looks like he's been neglected - almost his entire body, except limbs, is covered with crusty, flaky skin and sore spots. I think it's from the salt water pool. Any suggestions?
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Doc's Skin

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Jul 2018, 16:51

Hi Madelon,

What you might want to try is prepare a little squirt bottle of warm water and baking soda (shake until dissolved) squirt Doc with the mixture when he gets out of the pool, rub him all over and then rinse. This should take care of any bacteria and it should also soothe the inflamed skin.......
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Buttermom1
Staff
State: Texas

Post by Buttermom1 » 03 Jul 2018, 16:54

Baking soda is an excellent idea!! When I was on the swim team, I had to rinse my hair in vinegar. It was really blonde and would turn green from the chlorine.

Stacie & Dizzy
Staff
State: Arkansas

Post by Stacie & Dizzy » 03 Jul 2018, 16:54

Hi I haven't really dealt with that issue a lot with Dizzy. She had flaky skin once and I added a little coconut oil in her food and it seemed to clear it up.
My name is Stacie and my girl's name is Dizzy. German Shepherd, Age 10-diagnosed 12/24/2011 at 55 pounds, current weight is 93 pounds.
Feeding Taste of the Wild 4 cups a day with Enzyme Diane 1tsp per cup. Wonderlabs b12 once daily.
Dizzy has Pannus, given Cyclosporine drops in each eye twice daily. Pepcid once daily. Apoquel for allergies once daily.

Shirl D.
Staff
State: New York

Post by Shirl D. » 03 Jul 2018, 16:59

Hi Madelon, I have no suggestions for you, but wanted to say how nice it is to get notifications of new topics and responses! I hope the baking soda suggestion helps.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 03 Jul 2018, 18:13

I am sorry that this is happening...but it is nothing i have had to deal with, unlike Shirl i had no notfication. :o
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Mister Admin
Staff
Pet name: Archie & Zilli
My name: Craig

Post by Mister Admin » 03 Jul 2018, 20:39

Miss Maddie Moo wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 18:13 I am sorry that this is happening...but it is nothing i have had to deal with, unlike Shirl i had no notfication. :o
Hi Ann, there's a quik step-by-step guide on how to follow topics in the Forum Rules & Tips section (Go to Board Index > Forum Rules & Tips).

So nice to see the forum being used after playing with it for so long :geek:

Paula and Maya
Staff
State: North Carolina

Post by Paula and Maya » 03 Jul 2018, 21:23

:| Sorry to hear about Doc!

Diane S
Staff
State: Ohio

Post by Diane S » 03 Jul 2018, 21:51

I am sorry, I hope there is an easy answer.
Diane S.
Executive Vice President, EPI4Dogs Foundation
Chardon, Ohio, USA

Kodis Mom
Staff
State: Washington

Post by Kodis Mom » 04 Jul 2018, 10:20

Sorry I can offer no help . will be following !!
Kodi
B. 8/19/2010 Diagnosed at 11 months.
Kodi is now on Natures Logic turkey and/or pork kibble, 2 cups with 2 teaspoons of enzymes, 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground fennel seed (for tummy upsets) twice a day, plus one one B12 capsule from Wonderlabs. She has been very stable and on occasion needs a dose ofTylan.
She is our second GSD with EPI. It was not so scary this time ! And thank goodness for epi4dogs.com ! 💝 Kodi passed on August 25, 2023 just after her 13th birthday.💝 Forever grateful to Olesia and epi4dogs. She live a long and adventurous life with EPI.