Be wary of "limited" commercial diets

A sub-forum for announcements of new initiatives, surveys, promotions and technical issues related to the day-to-day life of EPI4Dogs.com.
Olesia711
Founder
State: North Carolina

Be wary of "limited" commercial diets

Post by Olesia711 » 31 Oct 2018, 21:38

Many of us, with EPI dogs also battle food sensitivities and/or food allergies.

.......sometimes feel that we can best manage the diet issues with OTC dog foods that are labeled "Limited" ... so we scrutinize the ingredients ... an offending meat or fish is not mentioned on the label and we think 'Aha, this one will work" .....but then are befuddled when we feed it to our dogs and they continue to have loose stools, acid issues or continue to scratch, bite and itch........................well.................that "limited" dog food item may not be as limited as you think. So much in the labels are mis-leading (this report REALLY proves that!).

The following research article explains how a bag of food might be labeled with only bison, but when tested..... included is DNA from bits and pieces from a cow.... and in one case there was no bison whatsoever even though that is what the label claimed......................

If your dog has a food sensitivity or food allergy... and you and your vet feel they need to be on a special diet- -limiting certain proteins- - it is best to go with a "hydrolyzed" food vs. a "limited" food for a specific health concern.
[attachment=0]Caution with Limited Cani ... ttachment]
Attachments
Caution with Limited Canine Diets.pdf
(2.51 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Doing great 12+ years later! Once stable at 3+ months, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each cup of food, but as she aged- -had to go back 1 tsp enzymes per cup of food. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil / fish oil daily .... until she developed Diabetes and she now cannot tolerate higher fat foods. Currently feed an 80% home-made diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, 1/3 of a raw egg, fat free cottage cheese, fish oil+vitamins and bone meal with 20% Annamaet Lean & Grain Free kibble. This combo has regulated her Diabetes (takes Vetsulin) and EPI and is very well managed. In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. This is when we discovered that she also developed Diabetes & Low Thyroid. Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the generosity of folks on Epi4dogs! Izzy continues to wake up every day full of joy. I am not a vet. All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal experiences, observations, information gleaned from EPI researchers & pet parents alike, and EPI research. Please share with your vet everything we suggest.

Jean
Staff

Re: Be wary of "limited" commercial diets

Post by Jean » 01 Nov 2018, 03:47

this has haunted me for 8 years

thanks O

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We use Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Jeanx

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 01 Nov 2018, 09:14

It irritates me so much how they are able to get away with stuff like this in our pet food!
Thanks for letting us know.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 9 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her food. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Olesia711
Founder
State: North Carolina

Post by Olesia711 » 01 Nov 2018, 09:23

thanks.... i kind of suspected that there were possibly trace amounts of other "proteins" in some of these foods.... and i know that there is much "mis-leading" representation on the bags of food ............ BUT........... i had no idea to the extent that we are mis-lead. This detailed research was a real eye-opener for me.
Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Doing great 12+ years later! Once stable at 3+ months, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each cup of food, but as she aged- -had to go back 1 tsp enzymes per cup of food. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil / fish oil daily .... until she developed Diabetes and she now cannot tolerate higher fat foods. Currently feed an 80% home-made diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, 1/3 of a raw egg, fat free cottage cheese, fish oil+vitamins and bone meal with 20% Annamaet Lean & Grain Free kibble. This combo has regulated her Diabetes (takes Vetsulin) and EPI and is very well managed. In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. This is when we discovered that she also developed Diabetes & Low Thyroid. Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the generosity of folks on Epi4dogs! Izzy continues to wake up every day full of joy. I am not a vet. All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal experiences, observations, information gleaned from EPI researchers & pet parents alike, and EPI research. Please share with your vet everything we suggest.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 01 Nov 2018, 20:23

Thank you Olesia for the informative article.
My name is Jill and I live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. I have two dogs: Kiya is an aussie/blue heeler and is 12 yrs young. TJ is a 3 year old Jack Russell. They keep me on my toes.
Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.
6/1999 - 8/2014

Madelon
President
State: Tennessee

Post by Madelon » 03 Nov 2018, 16:49

Thank you Olesia for always being on top of the latest research to help our pups!!!
MADELON and Doc. DX EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
Test Results: (1st) 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; (2nd) 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; (3rd) 10/2015 TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4. Prior to DX: May 2014 (2mos) - DX coccidia/bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Dx SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May 2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop. Regimen: 5 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 1/2tsp Slippery Elm 2xday; Multivitamin; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Salmon Oil