Enzymes-My pup smells awful!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Enzymes-My pup smells awful!

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Nov 2018, 19:02

yes, you can incubate the enzymes in anything moist....anything safe for dogs to eat, that is :)

The yogurt, cottage cheese, etc ... all fine.

When you get back (too much on your plate right now) if she still doesn't want to eat for with enzymes on it.... the next step would be to try pouring her enzymes in empty gel caps and give it to her this way.... you might have to then play around with the dose, but we will help you work thru it.

Regarding the B12.... it may not work immediately, althou some do claim they see an immediate improvement.. but generally we say you should see improvement anywhere between a few days to (max) 3 weeks.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Caroline831

Post by Caroline831 » 21 Nov 2018, 21:03

This evening, after i bought about 40$ worth of baby food, tuna, wet dog food toppers, and some fish broth, Loo was almost frantic to eat. Just to see, I put the food down without any toppers and she started licking it as if she was going to eat it without ANYTHING extra!! :lol: I imagine she was pretty hungry after not eating this AM. I only left it down for a few seconds and then added some baby food chicken to it. She lapped that up. I definitely think she doesn't like the enzymes, but i also think her anxiety plays a part. In the AM, she sometimes freaks out if she thinks i'm leaving her and refuses to eat. At least the toppers will be helpful when I"m gone as i imagine her anxiety will be higher.

B12 arrived today! I added a little bit to her supper tonight.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! i'm thankful for this site and all of the support. (cheesy but true!)

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Nov 2018, 22:24

Happy Thanksgiving to you too... and hope all goes well with the pupsitter :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Caroline831

Post by Caroline831 » 28 Nov 2018, 10:40

Ugh... So, while I was gone, she was pretty hesitant to eat. The last night, she ate her whole meal.

SInce I've been back (3 meals), I have tried ALL of the things (mixing the enzymes and food with baby food), adding lots of toppers, giving it to her on a plate, giving her small bites just on the spoon...

She looks at me skeptically like I"m trying to poison her... and bsically will only eat the topper portions if anything. We're about to go out for our morning walk. I've heard her stomach making some crazy noises (i'm thinking it could be from rich topper overload)... up till now her poos have remained pretty normal 1-2-3.

I plan to call the vet, but I imagine he will say, "i'm at a bit of a loss. Loo seems to be the exception in all of these cases. You can try raw pancreas"...

Looking for other suggestions...I will mention putting it in capsules. I haven't tried changing her food, but I can't imagine it'll help that much sense i think she's repelled by the enzymes themselves. I think I read it's odorless, but I have trouble believing that...

Question--The b12 is definitely odorless, right? I believe her probiotics are flavorless or meat flavored, but I think i'll try removing them and see how it goes... Open to any and all suggestions... my gal needs to eat. :cry:

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Nov 2018, 17:08

Welcome back!

Question for you. Where are you on the Tylan administration????

Next.... i need you to email me privately at (olesia.kennedy@gmail.com) with your mailing address.... i am going to send you some CREON capsules to try. They are "enteric-coated" pancreatic enzymes..... to see if it really is the enzymes and if this helps........

if it helps..... then you can have your vet write you a script for some :)

Caroline831

Post by Caroline831 » 28 Nov 2018, 17:40

She has been receiving tylan via pill 2x/day with meals since about 11/10/18. I was out for about 4 days and just got back Monday PM. She still smells rough...

This AM i ended up giving her un-enzymed food because i just wanted her to eat. When I gave it to her at a different location than I'd tried the other food, i believe she ate it happily. Not sure she will get much benefit, but i just want her to eat... also, i'm trying to be upbeat when i give her food :)

Caroline831

Post by Caroline831 » 28 Nov 2018, 17:41

I do have empty capsules I've saved from pouring out the Vitamin b12. Is there a link anywhere here that explains the process of how i would go about it? The vet said to just try giving it to her that way around the same time i gave her the food...fairly vague. Can i give it to her wrapped in cheese?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Nov 2018, 20:13

are you referring to pouring the powdered enzymes in the empty B12 caps???

If so... pour the amount of enzymes that she takes with her meal into one of the empty B12 capsules.

If you have more than one capsule..... then give her the meal first and after she eats a little food... THEN give her the first capsule with the enzymes in it..(and yes you can wrap the capsule in some cheese) then let her eat some more food... and then ....give the remaining capsule(s) stuffed with enzymes..

Do this for a few days and watch the poos. Sometimes when done this way, it works out perfectly, and at other times, you just need to give a little more enzymes. Keep us posted on this!

Regarding the Tylan.... keep on giving it...... as it sounds like her SID is still uncontrolled... and i am sure the stress from you being away kind of set things back a bit too...... but no worries...... this happens and it will b rectified in time.... it jsut might take a wee bit longer, that's all.

How much Tylan are you giving and how much does she weigh? SHe might be on the dose cusp and could use a little more.......... so just let me know if this is even a possibility.

Caroline831

Post by Caroline831 » 28 Nov 2018, 23:23

hello.

Yes. I am referring to empty B12 capsules i have from pouring B12 on to her food and saving empty capsules.

I am currently trying to pour enzymes into capsules. It looks like it'll take several capsules. I think i've seen theres a machine or an easier method than I"m doing, but for now, i'll make anything work!

She weighs approximately 30 lbs. Tylosin capsules are 260mg. instructions take 1 capsule every 12 hours.
B12 is the 90 capsule bottle from wonderlabs petfactor B-12. Folic acid 800mcg, Vitamin b12- 1000mcg. i'd been pouring 1/2 capsule on the food in the AM and PM. Enzymes are at approximately 1/2 tsp.
She had a heaping spoonful of prescription wet food this AM without enzymes. This afternoons poop looked deceivingly great, but was SUPER soft. i imagine it was due to lack of enzymes or ANY meds this AM... Hopefully tonight we'll get on track a bit!

Caroline831

Post by Caroline831 » 29 Nov 2018, 00:07

Update. Put enzymes into capsules... Six capsules (all i had available) filled 1/2 of the enzymes (1/4 tsp...). Who knew tsps were actually SO BIG...
.Gave food with no enzymes or powders of any kind... She ate it willingly. Gave 1 pill midway. Tried to mix the rest of the enzymes in a LOT of topper with food... wasn't happening. and also made her skeptical of the other pills and food wihtout enzymes. Eventually got 5 of 6 pills (<1/2 of tsp of enzymes)... sheesh!

So, she ate about 3/4 a cup of food + some baby food topper and 3/4 enzyme pills... i guess it could be worse?? I just want her to eat :cry: :|

I guess I need to look into getting some pills and a pill filler (i think i saw a link in one of these posts) and see how it goes.
Question, would different types of enzymes have a different smell? If i were to get the small package of Enzymedianes, is there a chance it would smell differently or is it likely to have the same issue.