Peeing ALOT

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
missopal75

Peeing ALOT

Post by missopal75 » 06 Nov 2018, 13:37

So my little Bruno has been peeing a lot lately...any idea why this might be - the vet wasn't sure if it was related to the EPI or not. I give him 1-2 B12 pills everyday and the last test his levels were good according to the vet. Not sure what his other levels are because he hasn't been tested since he was diagnosed about 1 1/2 years ago. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Peeing ALOT

Post by Madelon » 06 Nov 2018, 13:53

Hi. I think you have another topic posted "Burping"? Yes some dogs will pee more when they first start on the enzymes but it usually subsides. I would however recommend getting a urine test done to be sure it's not an infection or something.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

missopal75

Post by missopal75 » 06 Nov 2018, 13:59

Thanks. I was also wondering if maybe just because he's home alone now. My BF has been out of work for a long period of time and was home with him all day, and he just started a new job so he's been home alone all day again. Could it just be stress related, is there a way to tell or should I just have him tested? He's been on the enzymes for over a year now.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Nov 2018, 21:54

Since he has been on enzymes for 1+years.... my thought is to have the vet check out your pup and rule out the usual suspects like diabetes.. but then also check for UTI / crystals / stones....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

K.vitanova
Pet name: Nora

Post by K.vitanova » 16 Nov 2018, 09:51

Hello, I am new here, but me and my Nora have been having the same problem.
She has been diagnosed with EPI about 2 months ago. Ever since we have been struggling to find the right supplements and dosage. In Bulgaria it seems like this illness is very uncommon so our vets don’t really know what to do. Everything I have learned I have learned from this forum. Finally we got it right - the dosage - and she is back to normal. But another problem occurred - she has been peeing a lot even at home without any warning, also she has increased thirst. The glucose levels are normal so I am thinking it’s the enzymes. So I wanted to ask what happened with your dog, did the problem pass with time? And what should I do?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Nov 2018, 10:14

Hi Nora's mom..... since your pup has only been diagnosed about 2 months ago, and since you are in Bulgaria and not everything to readily treat EPI is available to you- -so you had to try things...... i am "guessing" that this excessive peeing and excessive thirst is due to the enzymes.

We often see excessive thirst and peeing in the beginning (for a few weeks/months) when some our dogs start on the enzymes but then this issue subsides.

What we suggest is when it first happens, it is pretty common....so at the moment it is safe to assume it is from the enzymes.... BUT.... if this excessive peeing and drinking goes on beyond a few months.... then we suggest to bring the dog in to the vet to have them checked out for other possibilities. If you know it is not diabetes ... then the next thing to looks at is a UTI (...... usually taken care of with the right kind of antibiotics to address whatever specific type of bacteria is causing the UTI) .... or, crystals / stones which depending on the type the vet will suggest the appropriate treatment.

thank you for letting us know that this website was helpful to you :) and please feel free to ask any questions you might have... we will do the best we can to help you out.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

K.vitanova

Post by K.vitanova » 16 Nov 2018, 10:26

Thank you very much! I hope everything will pass soon because I feel very helpless as I can’t help her and this increased urination stresses her too. Do you know if all the enzymes cause this and if changing the supplement will help?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Nov 2018, 12:03

yes... if this excessive peeing is going to happen with an EPI dog, it doesn't matter which enzymes you try.....

the good thing is if it is the enzymes.... it will subside soon.

BUT.... just to err on the side of caution....i would not let this go on for too long without having the vet check for other causes like UTI, crystals/stones (all very treatable) and of course rule out diabetes.

K.vitanova

Post by K.vitanova » 16 Nov 2018, 14:02

I am sorry for all the questions but I am new to this and I don’t know who else to ask. Can I limit the water she drinks? Now she drinks about a 1.5 litres / she is a boxer around 20 kilos/ and wants to pee and pees 4-5 times a day and as I am working and I can’t be always home to walk her she pees all over the house. So can I give her less water during the period that she adapts to the enzymes?

K.vitanova

Post by K.vitanova » 16 Nov 2018, 14:02

I am sorry for all the questions but I am new to this and I don’t know who else to ask. Can I limit the water she drinks? Now she drinks about a 1.5 litres / she is a boxer around 20 kilos/ and wants to pee and pees 4-5 times a day and as I am working and I can’t be always home to walk her she pees all over the house. So can I give her less water during the period that she adapts to the enzymes?