Natural oils and treats

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Lassie H

Natural oils and treats

Post by Lassie H » 23 Nov 2018, 04:32

Hi. I'm looking into using natural oils for Lassie's skin, she has dermatitis, which I see from the website happens to a lot of dogs with EPI. Oils including diluted essential oils and from seeds and nuts. I would need to apply it directly to her skin (finally got her diet right).

My other question also relates to diet.

If anyone has a game that will stretch her mind and doesn't need food treats to train her to understand the steps of the game. (I used to use food before her EPI kicked in. At the moment she likes ice cubes but really only used as a reward at the end of the game.)

Patsy

Re: Natural oils and treats

Post by Patsy » 23 Nov 2018, 09:34

Hello from Yorkshire, glad to hear you are keeping things under control, it’s not easy. Any people here have dogs with an itching problem, but mine had blisters that went raw. She had steroids and antibiotics.
How does the dermatitis present itself? What part of the body, is it inflamed or raw? As you know, it can have different causes. Often it is allergies, or it can be part of the auto immune condition. So what is the vet prescribing? Natural remedies don’t declare the ingredients, even oils will have preservatives or impurities. Some, like tea tree are astringent and sting delicate skin. They may be allergenic . I’m not very helpful here because there is no proper clinical evidence to support them, otherwise vets would recommend them.
Many people here have had proper allergy tests done , which can then resolve the problem, and I’m sure they will come online.
We’d all be delighted if you share your story and meds in order to help us help you, and other epi parents!
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 23 Nov 2018, 10:24

Hi and welcome to the forum. My jack russell had a hide a squirrel plush toy that he loved to find. But then one day the instinct took over and the whole thing was shredded.

https://www.thisdogslife.co/10-of-the-b ... bored-dog/
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Kodis Mom
Staff
State: Washington

Post by Kodis Mom » 23 Nov 2018, 11:12

Yes , good to see you on the forum! The crew from England will help you with the products. They are very knowledgeable.
Kodi
B. 8/19/2010 Diagnosed at 11 months.
Kodi is now on Natures Logic turkey and/or pork kibble, 2 cups with 2 teaspoons of enzymes, 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground fennel seed (for tummy upsets) twice a day, plus one one B12 capsule from Wonderlabs. She has been very stable and on occasion needs a dose ofTylan.
She is our second GSD with EPI. It was not so scary this time ! And thank goodness for epi4dogs.com ! 💝 Kodi passed on August 25, 2023 just after her 13th birthday.💝 Forever grateful to Olesia and epi4dogs. She live a long and adventurous life with EPI.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 23 Nov 2018, 11:46

Hello are you seeing white flakes like dandruff we had this with Maddie it just went as the body repaired itself ...but alot of us use organic coconut oil i did add it to he food but started slowly with 1/4 tsp per meal and increased once she tolerated it some also us salmon oil but it didnt seem to suit her.
As for treats she loved playing so wasnt intrested in treats ...dogs do survive with out them it was even harder for us becuase when Maddie was DX we had a food mad other GSD ...i always found hiding there favourite toy was a hit with her i would lock them in the kitchen and then go hide th etoy somewhere silly in the house and in the summer in the garden.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Nov 2018, 13:04

I too found "hiding" things and asking my gal to "find it" was (for her) more rewarding than treats. she LOVED doing that (started by hiding something behind my back while sitting on the floor. Progressed to giving her a "whiff" of something, calling it a name, made her "sit" while i hid the items and then i would ask her to go (and i would use the name) of the item she got so good that she would not only find things for me, but items of other people, AND she knew the difference between sets of shoes... would bring me one and then i would ask her to go get "the other one" and she would :)

Regarding oils / topical... you can also try calendula oil... i used to grow these little flowers and make a balm out of them for hot spots... it was a nice way to help it heal naturally. COconut oil as a salve also is very good. BUT is your dog has sores/ hot spots you can always give a nice body wash rinse with baking soda and warm water- -kills many bacteria and softens the skin.

To fix dry intchy/flaky skin in an EPI dog... many of us give coconut oil in the food.. or supplement daily with fish oil... for some folks it take about 3 weeks before you see results.... but all 3 of my dogs (1 is an EPI dog) improved with these oils...
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Nov 2018, 13:06

i also taught Izzy to put her toys away... to get me certain items.... and to "carry it" (she would carry something in her mouth when we went for a walk....) i always started off with a small item and just a few paces... but increased distance a little at a time
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Lassie H

Post by Lassie H » 23 Nov 2018, 13:12

:D for your kind intro, and advice.

Putting together information, hopefully help (amazing how complicated her condition is). Many thanks for the idea of the find game. Hopefully she won't shread her toys.

Lassie H

Post by Lassie H » 23 Nov 2018, 13:21

Funnily enough I've been growing Calendula, a lot of them, and they're still flowering in the cold of November.

For the balm, may I ask what base oil used?

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 23 Nov 2018, 13:22

hi

i am sorry i late to this party

where are you, we are in Liverpool

games, where to start, the hiding game is a good one, Kara has always been to highly strung to play in the house, but outside she would play for hours, and a squeaky ball is a must , and a tug rope, and a ball launcher

I give you a huge welcomer

they do sometimes get a dry coat, and coconut oil is brilliant, however, if it is dermatitis there are various types, if the vet is involved I would ask

please ask anything
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx