Nikita update

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Brodgers323
State: Florida

Nikita update

Post by Brodgers323 » 25 Nov 2018, 13:44

Hi all just wanted to give an update on Nikita. She is holding her own but still trying to figure out the best food for her. I’ve tried several and still can’t get it just right. Anyone have any suggestions? I’ve looked on the list but at this point I have spent so much money on different foods, would love to get others personal opinions..

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Nikita update

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Nov 2018, 15:55

Do you have a list of all the foods you tried.... and did you keep a journal / EPI Log......

what helps is when changing foods (you list the brand (with ingredients) and then record the poop condition & delivery while on that food.... and what usually happens is that over time, we start to notice which foods agree better and which don't and then we often discover certain ingredients keep popping up in the foods that didn't work out so well.... or crappy poos seem to lean more towards the higher fiber or carb content foods.

If you didn;t start keeping a log, you might want to.

In general (but not with every single EPI dog) many appear to do better on even lower fiber food than 4% like 3.5% or even 3.% fiber content.

Another thing that sometimes seems to help a lot of these dogs, but then again, not all.... is fish based foods...

Definitely avoid foods with too many types of peas in it or peas in the top 4 or 5 ingredients.... in addition to all the chatter about peas/lentils, etc and taurine deficiency.... we at Epi4Dogs have observed for years now that as soon as the dog food companies started swapping out sweet potatoes and using peas instead, our dogs started having worse poos. Many people had to even change foods completely cause it got so bad.

1. Can you share with us some of the foods your dog has already tried .... AND....
2. does your dog have any food allergies that you know of.... AND....
3. does your dog have any other health conditions that require her to avoid certain foods????

This would be helpful to us so that we can be more helpful to you ..........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Nikita update

Post by Madelon » 27 Nov 2018, 21:47

It took me almost a year to find the right food. Buy small bags until you find the right one. I will say after finding the right food and my boy doing GREAT on it for 3yrs the company changed the formula and added more peas and potatoes which through his poop into a tail spin soooooo 3 1/2 yrs into our EPI diagnosis we are on the hunt for a new food. Our problem is not just finding food that fits the EPI guidelines, we also have LOTS of food sensitivities. Like Olesia said, keep a detailed list of the foods you try - the ingredients in them and the resulting poos to help you find the right food.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.