Newly Diagnosed Corgi w/EPI - Suggestions?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Bri S
State: Washington
Pet name: Opal

Re: Newly Diagnosed Corgi w/EPI - Suggestions?

Post by Bri S » 09 Apr 2019, 11:09

Hi All,

I no more than post a positive update and I think I jinxed myself! :(

My poor little Opes hasn't been feeling too well since Sunday - but she's been up and down and her normal self at times which is confusing. So Sunday morning out of nowhere she vomited twice, and then wasn't interested in eating her food. She got bad diarrhea. She was trying to go so much that it was that mucus red/orange jello substance that I'm sure you've all seen. She was shaking and upset. I held her and calmed her down and a few hours later she was happy to eat again. Poo's that day were still soft.... but nothing like they had been earlier in the day on Sunday. I thought we were in the clear.

Yesterday all was seemingly getting better, so we decided perhaps over the past 2 weeks us trying to transition her food was upsetting her. She had gotten a bit constipated since the food transition and we have changed NOTHING else. So she has done well over the past months on the original food (minus having gas) which is Hills Prescription Diet i/d dry food. After Sunday's events we decided to start feeding her only the Hill's and take away her new food. We were only up to a 50/50 mix after two weeks or so of transitioning VERY SLOWLY. Yesterday while I was gone she had thrown up and had a potty accident - totally unlike her! However last night she was totally normal..... excited to eat and a happy dog after the afternoon accident. So I thought we were on the right track!

Today she must have asked to go outside a dozen times in a matter of an hour this morning and it started with her being constipated and having slightly runny poo until she went so much that we were back to the mucus red/orange jello substance that she was "pooping" out. My poor little babe :(

I called her vet this morning asking for advice - and am waiting on a call back currently. Idk if we should bring her in to be seen, or what.

I know the vet has given her a syringe orally of medication that helped her stop going when she got really bad diarrhea - but we've been doing SO WELL. that I am baffled at the sudden issues. The food transition had been going okay for the past 2 weeks and we had worked up to 50/50 with her two foods. The only negative we saw was her stools weren't quite as solid and sometimes she was a bit constipated. I don't know if it might be finally affecting her? Or maybe this is the cause of us deciding to bring her back to her normal food after Sunday's issues? Could she have somehow gotten worms.....?!

Any thoughts? You all have been very helpful and we'd been doing so well that I don't know what this might be!
My name is Bri and I have a Corgi named Opal who was born on 09/05/17. We live in Washington State and Opal was diagnosed with EPI in September of 2018 shortly after she turned 1 year old. Opal currently takes the following daily: Pancreapowder Plus 1/16 TSP 3x day - Proviable DC Capsule Probiotic 1x day - WonderLabs Slippery Elm Prebiotic 1/16 TSP 1x day - WonderLabs B12 w/Intrinsict Factor 1x day - Tylan antibiotic 1/16 TSP 2x day - Eats Hills Prescription Diet Dog Food / Dry Kibble / Low Fat i/d 3 x day 3/4 cup

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Apr 2019, 21:44

Sorry to hear Opal is not doing too well. Are you only feeding the dry i/d and is it a new bag or one she has been on?
This article mentions blood tinged mucous could be from food changes or worms to mention a few. How was today? What did the vet say?

https://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Blood_ ... Dog_Stools
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 10 Apr 2019, 11:29

Hello!

I am feeding her the dry i/d, and it is the bag she had been eating - not a new bag. Yesterday when I got home on lunch she had two accidents and it was 90% blood/mucus and a little stool so I stayed home with her for the day. That was certainly scary to see! Her usual vet was out yesterday so I spoke to another vet and they gave us dia-gel which has worked for Opal in the past when she had loose stool. I gave that to her yesterday afternoon and she did really well last night. Opal had 3 feedings and only went potty once and that was clear of blood and mucus last night.

However this morning we went backwards :( she asked to go outside multiple times right after eating breakfast and there was the mucus and blood on her stool. Sigh, so my Fiance is home with her today as we didn't feel comfortable leaving her alone and I have a call in to talk to the vet that normally sees Opal. Not sure if she will recommend that we should bring her in today, or just ride this out until her tummy settles back down and stools are normal again because in the past she had done well on the i/d food.

I will definitely take a peek at the article, thank you for that!
My name is Bri and I have a Corgi named Opal who was born on 09/05/17. We live in Washington State and Opal was diagnosed with EPI in September of 2018 shortly after she turned 1 year old. Opal currently takes the following daily: Pancreapowder Plus 1/16 TSP 3x day - Proviable DC Capsule Probiotic 1x day - WonderLabs Slippery Elm Prebiotic 1/16 TSP 1x day - WonderLabs B12 w/Intrinsict Factor 1x day - Tylan antibiotic 1/16 TSP 2x day - Eats Hills Prescription Diet Dog Food / Dry Kibble / Low Fat i/d 3 x day 3/4 cup

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 10 Apr 2019, 13:30

Another thing you might do is scoop a little sample into a sanitized jar , drop it by the vets and ask to please run this for giardia, worms , bacteria and the likes. At least rule that out.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 10 Apr 2019, 14:00

Sorry to hear she is struggling so.
I agree with Jill, take a little stool sample in just to be on the safe side that she didn't get anything else. We tend to blame everything on EPI, but sometimes problems have other causes.
If you changed nothing else, I would have to suspect the new food for sure if everything else checks out.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 10 Apr 2019, 14:29

Thanks all for the recommendations and kind words!

I just talked to Opal's vet and she said to double her Tylan dosage until she stabilizes, do another dia-gel since that helped yesterday, bring in a poo sample to test it, and start her on Cerenia which she hasn't taken before - but that should help with nausea and vomiting.

The vet wants me to call tomorrow with an update on how she's doing and we'll go from there. Hoping that in 24-48 hrs she'll be feeling better is what the vet said.

Paws crossed!
- Bri & Opal

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 10 Apr 2019, 16:21

I am sorry to read that Opal is having difficulties. I know how stressful this is. Please let us know how she does over the next few days.

Barb

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 10 Apr 2019, 16:22

Thanks for the update, keep us posted!
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 11 Apr 2019, 16:12

Hi All,

Opal's stool sample came back negative for worms or parasites - so it's nice to rule that out.

We've been really having to coax Opal into eating - I think she's associated that the food makes her tummy hurt and isn't too keen on eating. So that is concerning. We are even giving her a little wet i/d food with her kibble to persuade her to eat and she doesn't usually get wet food.

I spoke to her vet this afternoon and she said that opposed to throwing anything else at her we just have to give it a little more time. So we are continuing with the Cerenia, and doubling her dose of Tylan for now.

- Bri & Opal

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Apr 2019, 16:36

Hi Bri, glad to hear no parasites. Please check this link to make sure your canned i/d is not on the recall list:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food ... l-expands/