Newly Diagnosed Corgi w/EPI - Suggestions?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Newly Diagnosed Corgi w/EPI - Suggestions?

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Dec 2018, 19:20

WOW... your vet is awesome..... :)

In general, you really don't want to give an EPI dog it's shots until the loose stools subside.... or when they are first diagnosed.... you also don't want to spay until they become stable.

IMHO... when Opal is delivering nice normal poos pretty consistently for about 3 weeks or more, no vomiting, has started to put some weight back on... then i would feel comfortable giving her whatever shots you and your vet deem necessary.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Bri S
State: Washington
Pet name: Opal

Post by Bri S » 15 Dec 2018, 05:48

Thanks for the info! I will certainly call my vet this week and discuss how Opal is doing and if we should proceed with shots.

An entirely new topic is gas.... today opal has been SO GAS-Y. Wow.... it’s not fun for either of us! Nothing has changed with her diet or schedule, her poops are still good.... not quite as solid but they’re quite smelly. There is almost a skunk like stench to both her poops and gas and she keeps farting loudly! Any thoughts on why? Is this normal for EPI dogs? Like I said I haven’t changed anything so I’m at a loss.

Thank You!
Bri & Opal
My name is Bri and I have a Corgi named Opal who was born on 09/05/17. We live in Washington State and Opal was diagnosed with EPI in September of 2018 shortly after she turned 1 year old. Opal currently takes the following daily: Pancreapowder Plus 1/16 TSP 3x day - Proviable DC Capsule Probiotic 1x day - WonderLabs Slippery Elm Prebiotic 1/16 TSP 1x day - WonderLabs B12 w/Intrinsict Factor 1x day - Tylan antibiotic 1/16 TSP 2x day - Eats Hills Prescription Diet Dog Food / Dry Kibble / Low Fat i/d 3 x day 3/4 cup

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 15 Dec 2018, 10:51

Hi Bri, sorry to hear Opal is gassy. Has Opal been treated for SID with an antibiotic? ( like Tylan or Metro). Is she taking B12 supplementaton?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 15 Dec 2018, 11:17

Hello! Yes she is taking 1/16 TSP Tylan twice a day, and a B12 chewable once a day. The latest thing I’ve added in (about a week ago) was 1/16 TSP of slippery elm twice a day - so I’m not sure what’s causing this.
My name is Bri and I have a Corgi named Opal who was born on 09/05/17. We live in Washington State and Opal was diagnosed with EPI in September of 2018 shortly after she turned 1 year old. Opal currently takes the following daily: Pancreapowder Plus 1/16 TSP 3x day - Proviable DC Capsule Probiotic 1x day - WonderLabs Slippery Elm Prebiotic 1/16 TSP 1x day - WonderLabs B12 w/Intrinsict Factor 1x day - Tylan antibiotic 1/16 TSP 2x day - Eats Hills Prescription Diet Dog Food / Dry Kibble / Low Fat i/d 3 x day 3/4 cup

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 15 Dec 2018, 11:34

Hmm, my jack has skunk smelling gas sometimes but he gets over it. It clears the room. So how much does Opal weigh?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 15 Dec 2018, 11:58

Jack looks just adorable!

Yeah it smells pretty terrible, that’s for sure. Opal weighs about 21 lbs right now. She has a SUPER SENSITIVE tummy which is why we’re still at 1/16 TSP for all of her meds. She was down to 19lbs a time of EPI diagnosis so she’s gained quite a bit back & is continuing to :)

I just don’t know about this gas that started last night.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Dec 2018, 12:08

ahhh... eau de stink.......that is most likely SID getting a little out of control again.... especially with the stools going soft.

With EPI (after the initial regimen is implemented) when things don't come together as expected then you start trying things one at a time.

In Opals case.... althou i strongly suspect SID, and usually SLippery Elm as a prebiotic often helps get SID back in good control, aside from all of this, since you said this started after you implemented the Slippery Elm...

1. my first suggestion is to stop the slippery elm... observe for a couple of days and see if things improve. (although i suspect they won't)
2. if the gas doesn't subside and the stools remain loose.... my strong next suggestion is to increase the Tylan to 1/8 of a tsp/twice a day with her meals. Althou i might be wrong.... i do suspect that this is the underlying cause of the SID becoming out of control.... she has been under-dosed with the Tylan for too long and needs it. However, i understand why you under-dosed since Opal is hyper sensitive to changes.... BUT i urge you to talk to the vet and if stopping the slippery elm doesn't work.... up the Tylan.

The reason why i am adamant about upping the Tylan dose is because we have repeated seen this before with many EPI dogs... and it was because of Tylan, being needed and being under-dosed.

Chat with your vet, explain what and why we are saying what we are saying and please keep us posted. :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 16 Dec 2018, 15:28

Hi there. You said you're giving a B12 chewable - what exactly is it you're giving? I may have missed something before so forgive me if this has already been addressed.

As for shots, follow Olesia's recommendations - I highly recommend breaking up vaccinations so their body is not overloaded all at one time.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 17 Dec 2018, 11:24

Thanks so much for the advice! I called Opal's vet first thing this morning and she agrees that we will up the Tylan dosage & that hopefully that will take care of her stink :lol:

The vet also said that since we saw such improvements from giving her the slippery elm to continue that and perhaps add in a TSP of yogurt to her food twice a day. So we'll try that along with more Tylan. As for the B12 I am honestly not positive what she's taking. I'd have to look thru her paperwork because the vet placed the sticker right over the bottle's label.

Opal will still go in for her shots on 12/28 but she said that she agrees in giving her one at a time of the shots that we deem necessary. So that's good news!

I'll keep you posted on how she is doing after up-ing the Tylan... thanks again all!

Bri & Opal

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 18 Dec 2018, 01:00

I gave Opal her usual 1/16 TSP Tylan tonight plus an additional half of her 1/16 TSP. I’m not noticing so much gas after that but man oh man is her tummy ever talking! There’s all sorts of gurgling and bubbly noises.

Does this mean the increase in Tylan is too much for her? I’d imagine tummy noises means her stomach is upset now :(