Newly Diagnosed Corgi w/EPI - Suggestions?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Bri S
State: Washington
Pet name: Opal

Re: Newly Diagnosed Corgi w/EPI - Suggestions?

Post by Bri S » 21 Jan 2019, 12:02

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would pop in to say hello and give an Opal update!

It was spot on that she had a UTI - so her vet sent us home with amoxicillin that she took one pill twice a day. We finished that prescription and she is a happy camper right now.

Thanks again everyone, we really appreciate it!!! :)
My name is Bri and I have a Corgi named Opal who was born on 09/05/17. We live in Washington State and Opal was diagnosed with EPI in September of 2018 shortly after she turned 1 year old. Opal currently takes the following daily: Pancreapowder Plus 1/16 TSP 3x day - Proviable DC Capsule Probiotic 1x day - WonderLabs Slippery Elm Prebiotic 1/16 TSP 1x day - WonderLabs B12 w/Intrinsict Factor 1x day - Tylan antibiotic 1/16 TSP 2x day - Eats Hills Prescription Diet Dog Food / Dry Kibble / Low Fat i/d 3 x day 3/4 cup

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 21 Jan 2019, 12:32

Bri, what a great update. Keep up the good work!
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 04 Feb 2019, 13:44

Hi Everyone!

My little Opal has been stable for a few months now and I think that soon it is time to look into feeding her another kind of dog food. She is doing okay and having sold stools with her current food which is Hill's Prescription Diet i/d Digestive Care Chicken Flavor Dry Dog Food - but she is still pretty stinky from time to time. She seems to love the food though, so sticking with chicken flavor would be nice!

She eats a decent amount for her size... she's a corgi and all of 24lbs but eats 4x a day and about 1/2 cup each time since she had lost so much weight at her initial EPI diagnosis. The vet thinks that she just has a fast metabolism and paired with the EPI she needs more calories than a dog her size usually would.

That being said.... what dry dog foods do you recommend? What has and hasn't worked for your dog?

Thanks so much :)
Bri & Opal
My name is Bri and I have a Corgi named Opal who was born on 09/05/17. We live in Washington State and Opal was diagnosed with EPI in September of 2018 shortly after she turned 1 year old. Opal currently takes the following daily: Pancreapowder Plus 1/16 TSP 3x day - Proviable DC Capsule Probiotic 1x day - WonderLabs Slippery Elm Prebiotic 1/16 TSP 1x day - WonderLabs B12 w/Intrinsict Factor 1x day - Tylan antibiotic 1/16 TSP 2x day - Eats Hills Prescription Diet Dog Food / Dry Kibble / Low Fat i/d 3 x day 3/4 cup

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Feb 2019, 17:01

So glad to read Opal is doing well. How many more days does she have of the 45 day course of Tylan?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 06 Feb 2019, 12:51

Hello!

The Vet isn't sure if we will be able to ween Opal off of Tylan or not. Her tummy started talking lots at one point so we had to up her dosage of Tylan by 1/2 of what we were giving her the two times a day she gets Tylan. I've heard that some dogs have to be on Tylan forever and that might be how Opal is unfortunately.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 06 Feb 2019, 13:12

If they have to be a lifer on anything tylan is a good one. It is easy on the system and I don't recall any side effects.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Feb 2019, 19:31

Jill summed it up nicely... if a dog has to be on any anti for life, Tylan is probably the best one :)

Regarding food... needless to say, EPI dogs are unique, so what works for one doesn't always necessarily work for the next one... the bst suggestion we can give is to look at foods that have 4% or less fiber content. When first trying foods, most of our dogs appear to do better with food that do not use grain.... AND be careful not to try a food that has all kinds of peas in it... especially as one of the first 3 or 4 ingredients.... as EPI dogs REALLY have a problem with too many peas.

I personally just switched to a food called "Sport" elite series..
https://sportdogfood.com/sporting-dog-g ... h-formula/
the reason why is because this one is grain free AND does not have any peas in it at all. I do 80% homemade and 20% kibble (to keep the weight on) so i was using Annamaet Lean and Grain Free which was low fat (for my gal's diabetes) and low fiber (for my gal's EPI)... but it did have a little peas in it and i wanted to get away from peas if i could.
So far i am pleased with this Sport food. But it is expensive. If you want to try it... or any food.... we strongly recommend jsut buying the smallest bag possible at first.......if successful, then go for the big bag :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 07 Feb 2019, 19:02

I am glad that Tylan hasn't been shown to have side effects if the dog must take it indefinitely.

Also thank you for the food recommendation, I will definitely look into it.... as well as stay away from pea's :shock:

Thanks!
Bri & Opal

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 08 Feb 2019, 10:07

Bri..... good luck with finding a new food.... but don't get discouraged... it often takes a lot of trial and error...

Please do keep us posted on your little cutie, Miss Opal :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 11 Feb 2019, 21:26

Good luck finding a food - unfortunately that can sometimes be the hardest part of EPI. Keep us posted
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.