Information Overload

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
NinaVee

Re: Information Overload

Post by NinaVee » 30 Nov 2018, 14:10

Jean wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 12:55 so, did you have a weight loss ?
She's been very slowly losing weight but in the last month she's lost about 12 pounds or so.

NinaVee

Post by NinaVee » 30 Nov 2018, 14:10

She's been very slowly losing weight but in the last month she's lost about 12 pounds or so.

NinaVee

Post by NinaVee » 30 Nov 2018, 14:11

Yes, her weight always fluctuated but over the last month (when her stool has gotten really bad) she's lost about 13 pounds or so.

NinaVee

Post by NinaVee » 30 Nov 2018, 14:14

Kodis Mom wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 14:07
NinaVee wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 11:17
Kodis Mom wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 10:43 Hi, you've gotten great info above. Take a deep breath, start a log or journal , and breathe ! Getting the diagnosis is sometimes the hardest part. Now that you have gotten it, things will come together.
What should I log/journal? I've seen people track "numbers" although I'm not sure what numbers I should be tracking? How often should a blood test be done?

https://epi4dogs.com/epi-log/ Here is a link to a couple of logs. I personally before these were available, used a notebook. In it you have the date, what you are feeding and how much, meds, supplements, B12 , etc. Then you also record how the poop is, any tummy rumbles, burping, stinky farts, etc. Then when you make a change, one thing at a time,wait 3-5 days and see if improved or worse. if worse, you can go back to the basics and get corrected, then try something else. It helps to have one so that you eventually works the best and what didn't work so good. It kept me from going crazy figuring this all out

Thank you so much!!! I had no idea about B12 and SID. I'm waiting on the vet to call me back so I can ask about them because she's showing most of the signs of SID.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Nov 2018, 19:32

I too highly recommend using the EPI Log (check out the link)... there is a template there and show you an example of what to track..

This will help you figure out ... when you try something new... of it is helping or hindering.
With EPI we start with a recommended protocol BUT with these dogs many times we have to tweak thing... rule of thumb is to only adjust ONE THING AT A TIME and next rule of thumb is to give the 1 change 3-5 days before you make another change. Record what the poop looks like (color, consistency, volume, frequency) record if you hear any SID signs (burping, upchuck, gas, tummy rumblings, ),, and record anything thing else you observe that may be not right like itching, lethargy, etc...
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 30 Nov 2018, 21:01

Hi Nina,

Welcome to our EPI family....although we are sorry you have to be here. The diagnosis and early stages of treatment are the hardest parts. Once you figure out the food and enzymes, and start your girl on B12 and an antibiotic, you will start to see improvement. The B12 is so important. If your vet is going to do injections, make sure they are only B12, not any of the combinations or B Complexes.

I heartily endorse the journal. As othere said, record everything you give your pup each day, the amounts, and the resulting poos. This will help keep you organized and will show you what is working. We just kept a notebook, but as others said, you can use the blank forms provided here, too. It definitely saved our sanity.

I forget if you said where you are getting your enzymes. Many, many of us get our enzymes from enzyme Diane. She provides an excellent product at amazing savings. She is a member here and is wonderful to work with. You can go to her website enzymediane.com or call her.....she publishes her number on her site.

I am so sorry to hear you are still recovering from Hurricane Michael. I remember how bad that was. I live on the east coast (New Jersey)and we were hit with Sandy 6 years ago. We are still recovering.....

Ask any questions you have. Hang in there. It will get better.

Barb

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 01 Dec 2018, 03:18

hi

sorry I should have explained

I have had several note books over the years

pictures, measurements, foods weight etc, its all very useful for the vet and for yourself

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 01 Dec 2018, 08:55

Hi Nina and Liberty - welcome to our EPI family. First let me say thank you for your family's service to this country.

EPI can be extremely overwhelming in the beginning with all of the information, medical terms, etc. and the only thing you want is a quick answer on how to heal your baby. We've all been there. The first thing to know is that although it's scary and overwhelming, you are not alone - we are all here to help guide you along the way. The second thing to know is that EPI is manageable - you just have to have patience while figuring out the exact right combination of things for your dog.

As stated above there are four cornerstones to EPI management: Enzymes (please check out EnzymeDiane www.enzymediane.com as her enzymes are about 1/3 of the cost of the prescription enzymes from the vet - the recommended starting dose is 1tsp per cup of kibble [for enzymes from the vet and Diane's 6x - if feeding raw or Diane's 8x the starting dose is 3/4tsp per cup]; B12 (most vets will say as long as the numbers are in the "normal" range that's okay - it's not - EPI dogs need their B12 in the higher range 600+ - you can either follow the B12 shot protocol or use the Pet Factor pills from WonderLabs - very inexpensive); Antibiotics (if you're dealing with SID we recommend trying the enzymes, food and B12 first and then if no improvement either try Slippery Elm Bark powder or ask your vet for a prescription for Tylan); Food (this is the tricky part - we recommend grain free with 4% fiber or less - try to avoid peas - buy small bags until you find the right food for your dog).

Hang in there - you've got this and we've got you!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

helendam
State: Nevada
Pet name: mile

Post by helendam » 12 Apr 2023, 00:46

very bad