TLI of 10. Confused and not sure

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Kyra

TLI of 10. Confused and not sure

Post by Kyra » 01 Dec 2018, 18:38

Hi! New here. I have an almost 2 yr GSD who has has soft mushy orange stools since birth. She is 54# and on the small side. She has never weighed more than 58 ish # but has not gained any weight and has actually lost a few pounds. People are walkways commenting on how thin she is. Doesn’t look amaciated but thin. Eats her own poop too! I had tried pumpkin in the past but didn’t notice much difference in her stool. I had vet test her TLI fasting and it was 10. Her b12 was 509 and folate 10.6. Now the vets are not overly familiar with this disease as I see most are not. We thought with the symptoms that maybe we caught it early ??? I bought enzymes from Diana and probiotics. Her stool is much firmer and darker and looks like she may have gained a few pounds. It’s only been 3 weeks. Am I on the right track or is it not epi ?? I need help. Thanks in advance.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: TLI of 10. Confused and not sure

Post by Olesia711 » 01 Dec 2018, 21:16

It could be EPI in the making although.... she is definitely not clinical EPI.

However. that being said, we have had dogs show all the signs, but when tested the TLI results are in the teens.... so they keep looking for a cause but nothing else pops up... Fast forward a few/+ months- -retest for EPI and WHAM! The dog is EPI.
Our President Madelon, her dog, Doc did this... and i think it was either 6 months or a year later that he finally tested positive for EPI. There was another one out mid west, same thing.... alll the problems but not clinically EPI.... then 8 months later dogs was a full fledged EPI dog after being re-tested.

On the flip side, we have had dogs like those above and yet they never ever developed EPI.

What we suggest is to go ahead and give the enzymes (if you notice they are helping). Talk to your vet about continuing to look for a cause (like possible IBD)..... and if nothing else is confirmed as the cause, then re-test for EPI in about 6 months......
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 02 Dec 2018, 15:55

Welcome to the forum. Make sure you are consistent in using the enzymes with all foods to be sure if they are helping or not. It also helps if you keep a diary of all food and meds going in and how things come out.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

TerryBin
Staff
State: Washington

Post by TerryBin » 02 Dec 2018, 21:54

It can be frustrating to think you have found a solution and then not be sure, Symptoms sound very EPI....some dogs do well on enzymes either because they are headed in that direction (as Olesia noted) or there is something else going on that responds well to the enzymes. One thing that might help is to do a log (there is one on the website you can download) and note everything that goes in and out and you might see a pattern that will help. What food are you feeding? How much food to what amount enzymes? And as noted make sure it is only enzyme treated foods for now....treats, etc. could through things off. If your vet's office allows it and you can get in there if you can weigh every 7 to 10 days it will also help you gauge how things are going. Poops tell a lot but if you start seeing definite weight gain that also shows you are on the right path.
The hardest is figuring out what is going on and what works...then it becomes routine (hopefully).
Currently 2 Shiloh Shepherd Pups! Two Shilohs that passed over the Rainbow Bridge.
Taiko was born 6 September 2006 and had EPI; she passed over the Rainbow Bridge 10 April 2019 NOT EPI-related.
Pharaoh born 24 November 2007 and had EPI. He passed September 2020 NOT EPI-related.
Moku born 15 April 2014 and was dx with EPI in January 2019.
Hoshi born 6 July 2019 and does not have EPI
Taiko and Pharaoh were half siblings through their sire; their sire is Moku's grandfather through his Mom. Moku and Hoshi have the same sire.
Moku uses PancreaPlus tablets and receives weekly B12 shots at home.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 03 Dec 2018, 04:17

can I just ask was the cTLI tst done with 12 hours fasting of food
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx