Treats/Homemade Jerky

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Foxysmom
State: Ohio

Treats/Homemade Jerky

Post by Foxysmom » 05 Dec 2018, 10:33

Hi Everyone! I am looking for a recipe for Jerky treats made with enzymes in a dehydrator. I looked at the recipe area but didn't see anything, I may have been in the wrong place. Has anyone made Jerky treats with Enzymes and if so, specifically what ratio of enzymes (enzyme diane 6x) say per cup of meat?
Thanks in advance,
Foxy's Mom

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Treats/Homemade Jerky

Post by jilbert57 » 05 Dec 2018, 10:58

Hi. I have never made the jerky but we do have one or two folks who do. They should reply sometime today!
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Treats/Homemade Jerky

Post by Madelon » 05 Dec 2018, 11:13

I make the jerky treats because my boy can’t handle anything but his kibble. I grind 2 cups of kibble in a blender until it’s a very fine powder, then I mix 2tsp enzymes with about 4oz Luke warm water then add in ground kibble. I incubate for 30 minutes as usual then use the jerky tool and make strips. Dehydrate at 120degrees for 7hrs. They come out pretty flat and crunchy and then you can break them into small pieces.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.