EPI GSD

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
hendersons

EPI GSD

Post by hendersons » 14 Dec 2018, 14:45

Hi all

I am just posting on here to tell you a little about our 5yr old GSD Zak. We are from the UK and it unsure our vet knows what they are talking about and thinking of getting a 2nd opinion. He started having bowel trouble around 3yr ago and we ended up at our local vet. They did various tests and confirmed EPI. They prescribed us Lypex, 2 capsules twice daily. He would maybe go around a month or 2 without any real problems and when he did they would prescribe 2 weeks worth of Metrobactin and this seemed to make him a lot better. Over the past few month though these do not really seem to be helping and he is having flare ups more often. Our vet prescribed steroids, this made Zak very ill so we took him off them after 2 days, They then gave us some Atopica but upon reading the leaflet these are actually for Dermatology problems so not sure as to why we got these. We have spoke to Jean today re Zak and she has been very helpful and has gave us lots of help and advice. We have an appointment on Monday with out vet about changing from Lypex to Panyzm and also about Tylan, we had previously asked about this to be told they wouldn't prescribe it to us as it has a lot of side effects etc. We are thinking of getting a 2nd opinion aswell from another vet.... Elaine

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: EPI GSD

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Dec 2018, 20:07

Hi Elaine,

So glad you spoke to Jean (thank you Jean!!!!)

Oh no!!!! they told you Tylan has a lot of side effects???? That opposite is true. Actually vets here in the USA are starting to prescribe Tylan over Metronidazo (Flagyl) because Tylan does NOT have any adverse side effects, where as many other antibiotics do. Please feel free to read and share with your vet the multiple and various veterinarian research we have supporting the use of Tylan (Tylosin Tartrate 100 grams soluble powder) for EPI dogs struggling with SID (small intestinal dysbiosis): https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

So glad Jean is helping you out, especially with the enzymes available in the UK :). I am guessing Jean already spoke to you about possibly changing the diet (if need be and you cannot get the SID under good control and i am guessing she also briefed you on B12.

Even though Jean is helping you out, Please keep us posted here on the forum regarding how Zak is doing.....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 15 Dec 2018, 13:14

hello Elaine and welcome

Lovely to talk to you and your Husband, if not frustrating at info given

we sure did talk about diet change, and the use of a small bagm at first, easily obtained from our largest pet store chain Pets at Home

so let me know how Monday goes at the vet and good luck

J
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Stacie & Dizzy
Staff
State: Arkansas

Post by Stacie & Dizzy » 16 Dec 2018, 07:17

Just wanted to say welcome. Zak sure is a cutie. I’m sorry your boy is having problems. Jean and Olesia have given you great advice. Hopefully your vet will give you Tylan. It always helps my girl when her poops are off.
My name is Stacie and my girl's name is Dizzy. German Shepherd, Age 10-diagnosed 12/24/2011 at 55 pounds, current weight is 93 pounds.
Feeding Taste of the Wild 4 cups a day with Enzyme Diane 1tsp per cup. Wonderlabs b12 once daily.
Dizzy has Pannus, given Cyclosporine drops in each eye twice daily. Pepcid once daily. Apoquel for allergies once daily.

Shirl D.
Staff
State: New York

Post by Shirl D. » 16 Dec 2018, 08:02

Hi Elaine, I can't even imagine how frustrated you must be right now after struggling with Zak for 3 years and having things just get worse now! The good news is that EPI can be managed with the right protocol, and Jean is helping you get that sorted out. My recommendation is to bring information on tylan to your vet and see how receptive they are to it. If they listen to you and look at the research and facts presented, then they can be a valuable ally in this. If they don't want to look at the information, then it's definitely time for a second opinion (and possibly a change in vet, in my opinion). By the way, my girl, Pixie, was on a maintenance dose of tylan for years with no side effects at all. Best of luck on Monday...please keep us posted on what they said!

hendersons

Post by hendersons » 16 Dec 2018, 11:02

Hi and thank you for all the info given...

We went to Pets at Home yesterday and now Zak is on a different diet. Hopefully he will be better on it.....

We have everything printed out for our vet to look at tomorrow....

Is Tylan just given when he has a flare up or should he be on it all the time..

cheers

Elaine

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Dec 2018, 11:17

Tylan (Tylosin Tartrate 100 grams) is given for a course of 45 days/ twice a day, with food (breakfast & dinner).......sometimes this course needs to be repeated, sometimes it doesn't. What appears to help in some cases is after the 45 day course is completed, is to slowly segue off the Tylan instead of stopping completely... For example, 1st week after the 45 day course, give only 1/2 dose morning and night, for the 2nd week after the 45 day course, give 1/2 dose only once a day, for the 3rd week after the 45 day course, just give 1/2 dose every other day and then stop.

There is no guarantee that this will work, but with some dogs, after they stopped the Tylan, within a few days/weeks the loose stools, etc returned but when they tried slowly reducing the tylan instead of stopping all at once.... their dogs did better.

Sometimes , just a course or two of Tylan is needed to get the SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) under good control and then well managed with a diet that best agrees with the individual dog, and sometimes a pre+probiotic added....
Other times, the dog is what we call a "lifer" and has to be on Tylan forever ... BUT.....over time, the vet and the pet owner figure out (thru trial and error) what is the lowest maintenance dose of Tylan needed to keep things in check. Check out Dr. Elias Westermarck, "Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency in the Dog: Historical Background, Diagnosis and Treatment" article published in Topics in Companion Animal Medicine.... stated that a suitable dose could be as low as 5mg/kg once a day.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Shirl D.
Staff
State: New York

Post by Shirl D. » 16 Dec 2018, 11:18

Elaine, You may very well have already seen this page, but here's a link to the page that discusses dosage just in case. https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/
The initial course of treatment is twice a day for 30-45 days (I would think 45 for Zak, based on the fact that he's probably had SID for a while). At that point, you can try to stop it and see what happens. Unfortunately, we have to figure this out by trial and error. Some dogs do fine once the tylan is stopped, but others show signs of SID again. With Pixie, whenever we stopped the tylan, her poops would start to get worse again after a short time. We finally decided just to try to keep her on a maintenance dose, which was just once a day. Hopefully you'll see a positive change with the new food and tylan.

Kodis Mom
Staff
State: Washington

Post by Kodis Mom » 16 Dec 2018, 11:57

Just saying hello . I have nothing too add...but to keep a journal or log. It helped me from going insane !! We are here for you.
Kodi
B. 8/19/2010 Diagnosed at 11 months.
Kodi is now on Natures Logic turkey and/or pork kibble, 2 cups with 2 teaspoons of enzymes, 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground fennel seed (for tummy upsets) twice a day, plus one one B12 capsule from Wonderlabs. She has been very stable and on occasion needs a dose ofTylan.
She is our second GSD with EPI. It was not so scary this time ! And thank goodness for epi4dogs.com ! 💝 Kodi passed on August 25, 2023 just after her 13th birthday.💝 Forever grateful to Olesia and epi4dogs. She live a long and adventurous life with EPI.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 16 Dec 2018, 14:59

Hi Elaine. Zak is very handsome and very lucky to have you!! I am so sorry you're having such a difficult time - especially finding a vet that you can trust. Jean and Olesia are the best and you are in good hands with them. I'm sure someone has already mentioned it but be sure to keep a detailed log of everything you give and the resulting poops - it will help you figure out what works and what doesn't. I'm also a big fan of poop pictures - when you're looking at it every day and multiple times a day it can be hard to remember what one poop looked like compared to another.

And don't worry - we are all here to help guide you through this.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.