Slippery Elm dosage

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Corgeze
State: Iowa

Slippery Elm dosage

Post by Corgeze » 15 Dec 2018, 15:08

Do you give the Slippery Elm once a day or twice? The bottle says morning or evening meals... the epi 4 dogs website says breakfast and dinner. Also how long do you keep them on it? Just trying to settle some gas down.
Last edited by Corgeze on 15 Dec 2018, 15:10, edited 2 times in total.

Kodis Mom
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Slippery Elm dosage

Post by Kodis Mom » 15 Dec 2018, 21:12

Hi , yes twice a day works great for most dogs. I personally use it for 10 days. How much does your dog weigh ?
Kodi
B. 8/19/2010 Diagnosed at 11 months.
Kodi is now on Natures Logic turkey and/or pork kibble, 2 cups with 2 teaspoons of enzymes, 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground fennel seed (for tummy upsets) twice a day, plus one one B12 capsule from Wonderlabs. She has been very stable and on occasion needs a dose ofTylan.
She is our second GSD with EPI. It was not so scary this time ! And thank goodness for epi4dogs.com ! 💝 Kodi passed on August 25, 2023 just after her 13th birthday.💝 Forever grateful to Olesia and epi4dogs. She live a long and adventurous life with EPI.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Dec 2018, 11:20

I too just use it as needed... for us, usually 5 to 10 days. However, there are some folks that like to use a very small dose daily.... i think it depends on the individual situation (and yes... i too ... when i give..... do twice a day with breakfast and dinner)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Corgeze
State: Iowa

Post by Corgeze » 16 Dec 2018, 11:34

Ok thank you. She weighs 22 pounds so am giving her 1/4 teaspoon. I will do twice a day... this group is so helpful.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 16 Dec 2018, 15:04

I love slippery elm!!! I give it daily to my boy and now have the rescue shelter I volunteer at using it to help the dogs when they get loose poop. Keep an eye on the poop - as you know even though it's a good thing - sometimes too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. I would use if for 10 days like the others and then if you stop it you notice the gas again you can always go back on it.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.