Newly diagnosed Pug

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Bruinwar
State: Michigan

Re: Newly diagnosed Pug

Post by Bruinwar » 15 Jan 2019, 07:33

Hi Madelan & everyone,

Sorry for the delay. We are dealing with another chronically ill furry roommate, one of our cats.

Shadow has improved markedly. The weird behaviors have mostly subsided & her poo is always solid. Kind of a mix of yellow & the original (pre-EPI) brown. We are getting into the routine of wetting the enzymes & food for 20 mins before feeding her. My wife actually takes Shadow's breakfast with enzymes upstairs before bed, rises early to wet it, then goes back to bed for 20-30 mins daily. Shadow seems to have become used to the enzymes & no longer looks like she has red lipstick on. We abandoned the capsule idea completely. Shes gained back some weight & is looking quite good!

We still need to follow up with a vet. Liver enzymes, SID, B12, etc.... Is the yellow in her poo a sign of continued SID?

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Joe

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 15 Jan 2019, 10:16

Good morning Joe. What a great update. I am so glad to hear the mouth sores are gone. I would say that the poop should continue to be less yellow the further into the 45 day treatment for SID you get. Might need to evaluate at the end if not brown. I hope the kitty is ok.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 19 Jan 2019, 11:03

Glad to hear you're getting into the EPI routine. Yes the yellow poop and the way you described it indicates something is still off - could be the B12 if you're not supplementing or could be SID. Let us know how things go with the next vet visit
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Kodis Mom
Staff
State: Washington

Post by Kodis Mom » 19 Jan 2019, 11:12

It's always good for the soul when the weight starts coming on ! Keep up the good work!
Kodi
B. 8/19/2010 Diagnosed at 11 months.
Kodi is now on Natures Logic turkey and/or pork kibble, 2 cups with 2 teaspoons of enzymes, 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground fennel seed (for tummy upsets) twice a day, plus one one B12 capsule from Wonderlabs. She has been very stable and on occasion needs a dose ofTylan.
She is our second GSD with EPI. It was not so scary this time ! And thank goodness for epi4dogs.com ! 💝 Kodi passed on August 25, 2023 just after her 13th birthday.💝 Forever grateful to Olesia and epi4dogs. She live a long and adventurous life with EPI.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Jan 2019, 15:29

great update..... sounds like everything is moving in the right direction.

I'm a little late with this next piece of info... but i think you mentioned earlier that her liver enzymes were through the roof (in the beginning)??? If yes, i suspect it was her ALT liver enzymes and that is pretty much a given with many of these EPI dogs... elevated ALT liver enzymes is typical simply because of the SID. YOu will see ALT liver enzymes elevated when there is an "infection" and we see this when SID (small intestinal dysbiosis)is out of control at the moment. Once the EPI dog gets the right balance of the EPI protocol in place (and this often means antibiotics to help get SID in check) then the ALT liver enzymes will flutter back down to a good/and or normal range. :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 21 Jan 2019, 19:55

What a great update! It sounds like things are moving in the right direction. I don't know if you've had a chance to talk with your vet about the B12, but we found that once we got Kolby's B12 level up, everything else fell into place. His appetite increased and he began to gain weight. It is so easy now with the Wonderlabs pills(Pet Factor or Trinfac B)with intrinsic factor.

Keep the good news coming.

Barb