Weaning off of antibiotics.

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Laraine

Re: Weaning off of antibiotics.

Post by Laraine » 04 Jan 2019, 07:59

None taken Patsy, this appointment was when his next check up was due and I was gathering all the information I need before going, as most of of the time, I have to suggest things myself. In the meantime I have ordered some probiotics for him so I am prepared. I will ring the vets next week and bring Harrys appointment forward. Many thanks for everyones help.
Harry German Shepherd born 27.3.2015.
Diagnosed with EPI 14.7.16. when he was 18 months and weight was 29kg.
After various food changes, he is now on Millies Wolfheart Countryside mix and a long course of Oxytetracycline, Harry now weighs 39kg. He has Panzym enzyme and 2 Chemeyes B12 capsules a day.
It has been a long road but I have had so much help from this site, we both say thank you.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Jan 2019, 09:55

Mickey's vet was great. If I did my research before an appointment on something I strongly believed in and would present my opening argument with back up, she would listen and a lot of the time I got a Yea. There is a lot of information out there for vets every day and they can only focus on some of them. Ibvb always try to make it a helping moment when I can give the vet some knowledge they didn't have😊.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 04 Jan 2019, 12:18

the one thing Laraine, they CAN get Tylan, you just have to sign a disclaimer as its not licensed in UK for companion animals, but it is only available via the vet

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Laraine

Post by Laraine » 04 Jan 2019, 15:26

I will remember that Jean about Tylan thank you. The worst of it is, I thought if the vet thought it was ok to be on long term oxytet, then it must be ok, but now it seems not. :shock:
After various food changes, he is now on Millies Wolfheart Countryside mix and a long course of Oxytetracycline, Harry now weighs 39kg. He has Panzym enzyme and 2 Chemeyes B12 capsules a day.
It has been a long road but I have had so much help from this site, we both say thank you.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Jan 2019, 17:40

Thanks Jean for posting that about "how-to" access Tylan in the UK. Very helpful.

Laraine, please do keep us posted .... and good luck :)
Oh... and if you think it would help any, feel print to print some of the research in the SID/SIBO section and check out the Microbiome section... that page is loaded with current research regarding a dog's gut Antibiotics, bacteria and pre+probiotics... https://epi4dogs.com/microbiomemicrobiota-research/
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 05 Jan 2019, 04:46

Now this IS interesting

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Tylan-Antibiotic/c323/

It still requires a script, but.........this must be fairly new, I will contact them Monday on a need to know basis

but as Olesia says you can print anything off this website

Jean

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 05 Jan 2019, 05:25

That’s really useful Jean. Just need to twist a vets arm to issue a prescription and disclaimer.
Loraine, I signed a disclaimer with my vet who told me he could give us B12 intended for farm animals, identical stuff, very cheap. When Marti was stable, I changed to Chemeyes capsules. It’s no big deal for the vet, it just absolves themof any legal responsibility for the drug harming the dog. Neither Tylan or B12 cause any problems.

Epi4dogs gives you a crash course in assertiveness training!
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Laraine

Post by Laraine » 05 Jan 2019, 07:24

Patsy EPI4dogs definitely makes you question everything with the vet and I thank you all, I never thought I would do that, but you do what you have to for your dog.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 05 Jan 2019, 07:53

my very good friend Pat made a wonderful statement

EPI is a long road, but with EPI4DOGS you have a map

loved it

and Laraine, just remember, its your Dog your money, just ask

my vet was wonderful , you could be in a consultation for 40 minutes, as is the current one, who is scary, he can talk on ANY subject at length , and is open to anything, lovely man

Jeanx

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Laraine

Post by Laraine » 05 Jan 2019, 09:16

Thank you all again, without your help at the start I know Harry would not have been diagnosed so quickly. I will keep you updated on what happens at the vets.