Need help and advice. At a loss for my poor dog luna

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Ashley1106
State: New York

Re: Need help and advice. At a loss for my poor dog luna

Post by Ashley1106 » 06 Jan 2019, 08:58

Yea
Jean wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 08:42 is she still on both drugs ?

J

Ashley1106

Post by Ashley1106 » 06 Jan 2019, 09:10

Imha was detected probably about a month ago I brought her in Bc she was panting and always seemed like she was out of breath I thought it was just her b12 being low but they told me that her levels were like 8 and 26 I think it was her hemoglobin and hematocrit levels and they put her on prednisone 20mg twice a day for about a week and her levels stayed the same so then they added imuran and we retested 10 days later and her levels went up to 11 and like 35 I’m not sure if those were exact numbers. So then they decreased her prednisone to 10 mg twice a day. And all while this is happening her epi is out of control with cow pie stools and weight loss. I wasn’t sure if it was prednisone causing it or what so we figured we’d see if while decreasing the prednisone of the stools would get better but nope. Idk what to do we did two diff meds the metronidazole and pro—pectin and nothings helping. What did you do!!????
Olesia711 wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 08:49 Hi,

I am so so SO sorry to hear about Luna.

My Izzy, diagnosed at 1+1/2 yr with EPI, was also diagnosed with IMHA (Immune mediated hemolytic anemia) at age 7.
She is now 13+12 and doing well.

I will gladly help you, but i need more information.

First....how long ago was the IMHA detected and exactly what was the treatment..... what is still being done for Luna regarding the IMHA if anything.
Also... how low did her hematocrit go? What is the level now... or when they said she was stable?

Next... the weight loss..... and the fact that she can't handle the food that she used to be able to.. my gal also lost a ton of weight after the IMHA......

Has your vet tested for :
1. Diabetes
2. Low Thyroid

Looking forward to hearing from you.... i'd like to get a more detailed picture of what is going on. so that hopefully, as a parent of and EPI + IMHA survivor, i might be able to help....

Ashley1106

Post by Ashley1106 » 06 Jan 2019, 09:11

Also did u find out if your dog had primary or secondary hemolytic anemia.
Ashley1106 wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 09:10 Imha was detected probably about a month ago I brought her in Bc she was panting and always seemed like she was out of breath I thought it was just her b12 being low but they told me that her levels were like 8 and 26 I think it was her hemoglobin and hematocrit levels and they put her on prednisone 20mg twice a day for about a week and her levels stayed the same so then they added imuran and we retested 10 days later and her levels went up to 11 and like 35 I’m not sure if those were exact numbers. So then they decreased her prednisone to 10 mg twice a day. And all while this is happening her epi is out of control with cow pie stools and weight loss. I wasn’t sure if it was prednisone causing it or what so we figured we’d see if while decreasing the prednisone of the stools would get better but nope. Idk what to do we did two diff meds the metronidazole and pro—pectin and nothings helping. What did you do!!????
Olesia711 wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 08:49 Hi,

I am so so SO sorry to hear about Luna.

My Izzy, diagnosed at 1+1/2 yr with EPI, was also diagnosed with IMHA (Immune mediated hemolytic anemia) at age 7.
She is now 13+12 and doing well.

I will gladly help you, but i need more information.

First....how long ago was the IMHA detected and exactly what was the treatment..... what is still being done for Luna regarding the IMHA if anything.
Also... how low did her hematocrit go? What is the level now... or when they said she was stable?

Next... the weight loss..... and the fact that she can't handle the food that she used to be able to.. my gal also lost a ton of weight after the IMHA......

Has your vet tested for :
1. Diabetes
2. Low Thyroid

Looking forward to hearing from you.... i'd like to get a more detailed picture of what is going on. so that hopefully, as a parent of and EPI + IMHA survivor, i might be able to help....

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Jan 2019, 11:17

yea, prednisone alone usually does not work..... they put my gal on super high dose prednisone + cyclosporine... but the fact that they put Luna on Imuran (which is Azathioprine) is another drug in place of cyclosporine.

My Izzy's IMHA was so bad that even pred+cyclosporine was not bringing up the hematocrit (the red blood cells were still breaking apart too soon) so my vet contacted a vet school and they said to try Leflonumide (another immune suppressant drug given for Rhematoid Arthritis.... this helped but then we went from regenerative to non-regenerative in the bone marrow and had to stop the Leflonumide.

Ask your vet for Tylan instead of Metronidazole... it will NOT interfere with Imuran (Azathioprine).

Also.....the 35 value... that is the Hematocrit.... Luna is in much better territory, but this is still not good enough. She still needs to be monitored. You will want to see the hematocrit at the very least in the high 30's but you can breathe a sigh of relief when her hematocrit is anywhere in the 40's.

My Izzy's Hematocrit got stuck in the low 30's ..... nothing worked and she wasn't out of the woods.... i asked the vet to test her thyroid. He looked at me like i had 3 heads. I insisted, he reluctantly tested. And then he apologized. Sure enough she had low thyroid.... as soon as they determined the right dose of levothyroxine / solaxine..... her hematocrit start moving upwards :)

THyroid can get out of whack when there is an immune situation going on so if this is happening to Luna too..you kind of have to fix the whole dog, just not one part, in order for her to fully recover.

And don't think jsut because Luna is losing weight that Low thyroid "might" not be involved.
Also.... have your vet check for diabetes.... just in case.

1. To deal with the loose stools.... my suggestion is talk to the vet and insist on swapping out the Metronidazole for Tylan.

2. Also... i know this is counter-intuitive to everything we tell you with an EPI dog..... but for now, greatly reduce the fat content of the food you are feeding her for now. Get something low in fat, low in fiber.... BUT give a tblsp of sweet potato or pumpkin or something for the right type and right amount of fiber.

3. And/or give a little slippery elm

This is a 2018 update on IMHA... but in short.... the key take-aways are:

IMHA is a complex soup of many different presentations,” he said. “Some versions destroy red blood cells by popping them and others eat the red blood cells; some dogs have the disease affecting their platelets and others don’t. You can’t expect one cookie cutter treatment to work.

The foundation of treatment is steroids often combined with one or more immunosuppressant drugs such as cyclosporine, azathioprine, or mycophenolate

Because blood clots frequently are a complication of IMHA and thrombosis is associated with higher mortality, aspirin, heparin, or clopidogrel also are often used to reduce the risk of blood clots, said Mackin.

However, there’s little evidence on which drug or combination of drugs is most effective, said Richter.

The upcoming consensus statement will provide recommendations for using immunosuppressants, said Mackin, adding that tailoring treatment to individual dogs is crucial and that more therapeutic drug monitoring tools are needed.

“Dogs have narrow therapeutic windows,” he said. “
The gaps between effective, ineffective, and dangerous drug doses are really narrow.”

One such tool is an assay that was developed at the Pharmacodynamic Laboratory at Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine.... that can help gauge the immunosuppression activity of cyclosporine and provide dosage guidance to veterinarians who submit blood samples of dogs they are treating. Similar assays likely will be available soon for other drugs, said Mackin

Our hypothesis is based on our opinion that there already are effective immunosuppressive drugs available, but that treatment should be individualized for each dog to control the disease while minimizing side effects

https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/ ... imha-near/

Hope this helps a little... talk to your vet. he is working with the right class of drugs, the problem is each dog is different..... BUT i hope some of the suggestions i have made will help.

Just a FYI.... it took us 5 months before my Izzy was truly stable. And it has been 6 yrs since, and we have not (thankfully) had a relapse!

Please keep us posted!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Ashley1106

Post by Ashley1106 » 06 Jan 2019, 14:46

Yes we did blood work I’m going to ask if the thyroid panel was included in the blood work as it was 300$ for just the bloodwork. I am going out to buy her a diff kind of food now. My question is should I go grain free? I’m already giving her food that is low in fiber and fat and not too expensive so I’m thinking of switching to grain free. Not sure which food to get.
Olesia711 wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 11:17 yea, prednisone alone usually does not work..... they put my gal on super high dose prednisone + cyclosporine... but the fact that they put Luna on Imuran (which is Azathioprine) is another drug in place of cyclosporine.

My Izzy's IMHA was so bad that even pred+cyclosporine was not bringing up the hematocrit (the red blood cells were still breaking apart too soon) so my vet contacted a vet school and they said to try Leflonumide (another immune suppressant drug given for Rhematoid Arthritis.... this helped but then we went from regenerative to non-regenerative in the bone marrow and had to stop the Leflonumide.

Ask your vet for Tylan instead of Metronidazole... it will NOT interfere with Imuran (Azathioprine).

Also.....the 35 value... that is the Hematocrit.... Luna is in much better territory, but this is still not good enough. She still needs to be monitored. You will want to see the hematocrit at the very least in the high 30's but you can breathe a sigh of relief when her hematocrit is anywhere in the 40's.

My Izzy's Hematocrit got stuck in the low 30's ..... nothing worked and she wasn't out of the woods.... i asked the vet to test her thyroid. He looked at me like i had 3 heads. I insisted, he reluctantly tested. And then he apologized. Sure enough she had low thyroid.... as soon as they determined the right dose of levothyroxine / solaxine..... her hematocrit start moving upwards :)

THyroid can get out of whack when there is an immune situation going on so if this is happening to Luna too..you kind of have to fix the whole dog, just not one part, in order for her to fully recover.

And don't think jsut because Luna is losing weight that Low thyroid "might" not be involved.
Also.... have your vet check for diabetes.... just in case.

1. To deal with the loose stools.... my suggestion is talk to the vet and insist on swapping out the Metronidazole for Tylan.

2. Also... i know this is counter-intuitive to everything we tell you with an EPI dog..... but for now, greatly reduce the fat content of the food you are feeding her for now. Get something low in fat, low in fiber.... BUT give a tblsp of sweet potato or pumpkin or something for the right type and right amount of fiber.

3. And/or give a little slippery elm

This is a 2018 update on IMHA... but in short.... the key take-aways are:

IMHA is a complex soup of many different presentations,” he said. “Some versions destroy red blood cells by popping them and others eat the red blood cells; some dogs have the disease affecting their platelets and others don’t. You can’t expect one cookie cutter treatment to work.

The foundation of treatment is steroids often combined with one or more immunosuppressant drugs such as cyclosporine, azathioprine, or mycophenolate

Because blood clots frequently are a complication of IMHA and thrombosis is associated with higher mortality, aspirin, heparin, or clopidogrel also are often used to reduce the risk of blood clots, said Mackin.

However, there’s little evidence on which drug or combination of drugs is most effective, said Richter.

The upcoming consensus statement will provide recommendations for using immunosuppressants, said Mackin, adding that tailoring treatment to individual dogs is crucial and that more therapeutic drug monitoring tools are needed.

“Dogs have narrow therapeutic windows,” he said. “
The gaps between effective, ineffective, and dangerous drug doses are really narrow.”

One such tool is an assay that was developed at the Pharmacodynamic Laboratory at Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine.... that can help gauge the immunosuppression activity of cyclosporine and provide dosage guidance to veterinarians who submit blood samples of dogs they are treating. Similar assays likely will be available soon for other drugs, said Mackin

Our hypothesis is based on our opinion that there already are effective immunosuppressive drugs available, but that treatment should be individualized for each dog to control the disease while minimizing side effects

https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/ ... imha-near/

Hope this helps a little... talk to your vet. he is working with the right class of drugs, the problem is each dog is different..... BUT i hope some of the suggestions i have made will help.

Just a FYI.... it took us 5 months before my Izzy was truly stable. And it has been 6 yrs since, and we have not (thankfully) had a relapse!

Please keep us posted!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Jan 2019, 17:57

Can you tell me what the name of the food is: the exact name.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Ashley1106

Post by Ashley1106 » 06 Jan 2019, 18:06

I was giving Purina pro plan focus all stages in the picture i attacthed and was going to switch to the pacific in the picture attacthed
Olesia711 wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 17:57 Can you tell me what the name of the food is: the exact name.
Attachments
FBA32C0C-2ED9-4CAF-9FC6-A9A34AD4F760.png
FBA32C0C-2ED9-4CAF-9FC6-A9A34AD4F760.png (639 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
D0D3FA5C-B3B3-4947-84A8-C0768C00CF9B.png
D0D3FA5C-B3B3-4947-84A8-C0768C00CF9B.png (496.04 KiB) Viewed 5221 times

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Jan 2019, 10:04

I see it has been a few days. Did you order the Taste of the Wild? A lot of folks use the brand. Let us know how your pup does.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Ashley1106

Post by Ashley1106 » 09 Jan 2019, 13:05

Thank you for checking up on us! I ordered it and have been slowly mixing it in with her old food. I wasn’t sure with epi dogs if you can just switch or have to do it by slowly mixing so I decided to just slowly do it since I was unsure. Her poops still aren’t good and I added slippery elm in starting Sunday night twice a day with meals. I am taking her to a new vet tomorrow to see if they can help us!
jilbert57 wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 10:04 I see it has been a few days. Did you order the Taste of the Wild? A lot of folks use the brand. Let us know how your pup does.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 09 Jan 2019, 13:29

slowly at first and keep a record

jx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx