Eating own poo

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Floramac

Eating own poo

Post by Floramac » 07 Jan 2019, 05:19

Hi, Kenzie has been doing well this past year. Currently 3/4 tsp panzym on all meals, b12 every other day and 1/8th tsp Tylan ( have not been able to come off completely). The past month, her poos have been inconsistent so I upped her Tylan which would normally work. They are still inconsistent, perhaps one good and two soft. Now I have noticed for the first time ever that she is showing interest and has even tried eating her poo. Is this a sign of anything in particular?
Thanks
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Eating own poo

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Jan 2019, 09:55

I am sorry to hear your pup is having issues. Have you changed foods lately or has the maker recently changed ingredients? Are you seeing undigested food in the poop?
You might try a small increase in the panzym. Sometimes when our dogs age they need the enzymes tweaked.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 07 Jan 2019, 11:39

No changes in the food. Her poo can be a bit sloppy and is also attractive to other dogs! Just don't understand her eating it, she has never done that in the 3 years she has had epi?
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 07 Jan 2019, 12:43

hi there

we are from Liverpool, I have a friend in Telford who had an EPI dog .small world

the normal reason for poo eating is that they are not digesting their food, and as my vet said it smells as good going out, as going in, so we need to tweak

what is she eating ?

How much per meal, how heavy is she ?

how many meals a day ?

how often daily are you giving Tylan

What b12 are you giving ?

If you can give me an idea of these questions, I will give you my best shot

that picture is amazing

jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 07 Jan 2019, 15:51

Hi,

She has 3 meals a day, Millies Wolfheart for the last 3 years.
130g per meal.
She weighs 35kg.
Tylan twice a day.
Chemeyes Trinfac b12.
This all has been routine for the past 18 months, no changes.
Thanks for your input.

We are just outside Telford in a village called Edgmond.

Fiona

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 Jan 2019, 19:53

Hi there. Sorry you are having a set back - it can be so frustrating. Have you tried tweaking the enzymes? We have noticed that EPI dogs often times need a tad more enzymes as they age. I would start by increasing the enzymes just a tad and give that 3-5 days and see if they improve.

Keep us posted.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 08 Jan 2019, 04:00

Hi there

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=166

this is the Tylan doseage recommendation

for a 77 pound dog, it is recommended that you give 1/4 teaspoon twice daily, and the recommendation is every 12 hours, thats if it fits into your regime, we give at each meal, normally 9-10 hours between, but Tylan is very forgiving as it is gentle

Panzym is 1/4 teaspoon per 100 grams food, so 3/4 teaspoon per 130 gm might be too much , too much Enzyme is as difficult as too little, however, as they get older, sometimes they need more, maybe tweak the enzyme,

Millies is a great food, and used by our members in UK

My thoughts are to up the Tylan to 1/4 teaspoon twice a day, I too have never been able to stop Tylan, Kara is on such a small amount its not really measurable, but as soon as she goes down hill, its back to full dose, and its quite often

when you say you upped her Tylan, what was it from, and to

and this past month, when you noticed the issues, was this when you changed the Tylan dose

and maybe up the b 12 to 1 per day

try to keep a diary /journal so you can see what if anything has changed

but change one thing at a time, and record the changes

I am at the end of the phone if you want to talk

My friend Val lives in Bratton

J

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 08 Jan 2019, 14:03

Hi, I upped the tylan to 1/4 tsp 5 days ago after I noticed issues with her poo. As yet no change which is why I wondered if it's something else, should I wait longer?. She has been getting 3/4 tsp panzym on all her meals for 18 months, would it suddenly be too much?
If I up the panzym I was thinking just an extra 1/8 tsp? What do folks measure with?
Thanks

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 08 Jan 2019, 14:03

The Tylan was at 1/8th tsp.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 08 Jan 2019, 14:17

I have a set of measuring spoons that includes an 1/8 teaspoon. There are also sets that include a pinch, smidgen, tad etc you can get on Amazon for smaller amounts.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.