2 yr old Sheltie diagnosed with EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: 2 yr old Sheltie diagnosed with EPI

Post by jilbert57 » 10 Jan 2019, 19:19

Thanks for clarifying on the weight. As for Dechra treats, the Epi part I think is happenstance, as the ingredients are ok but I see nothing that makes them Epi specific:

Description
Dechra EpiTreats Healthy Canine Snacks are a delicious treat that will keep your dog happy and healthy! These scrumptious dog treats have a unique blend of proteins and carbohydrates that promote skin and coat health. These treats make perfect additions to the diet of pets with skin conditions. They also taste great to act as the perfect snack to reward your dog during training sessions or to simply give him a nice treat. Directions & Dosage EpiTreats are intended for supplemental feeding only and should never be used as a complete diet. In order to maintain a healthy weight, please us the guidelines below and use caution not to exceed the maximum number of treats per day. Ingredients Dried potato product, hydrolyzed chicken liver, water sufficient for processing, corn syrup, glycerin, chicken fat [preserved with mixed tocopherols], calcium carbonate, lecithin, potassium chloride, phosphoric acid, salt, sorbic acid [preservative], rosemary extract.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 10 Jan 2019, 19:23

When we switched from commercial brands of enzymes, like the one you are using, to Diane's enzymes, we ordered Diane's 6X Pancreatin. Kolby had absolutely no negative reactions (and he reacted to everything). We have been using them for 9 years. But to feel sure about your decision, you can talk to Diane personally. She publishes her phone number on her website and is glad to help you make the right choice.

Barb

lourde0927
State: California

Post by lourde0927 » 17 Jan 2019, 20:13

I used CBD Oil for my dogs when we go to our Vet. They are so excited when we go outside. I gave them CBD Oil 15 to 30 minutes prior. CBD oil for our pets can treat health issues such as digestive or upset tummy, inflammation, joint pain or even allergies.
I tried this in my dog, I gave it when I know he faced a stressful situation. And as I done researching, I came across to this article about Cannabis and Mj kylekushman.com/00-box-personal-humidor/

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 17 Jan 2019, 21:05

Glad to hear she is gaining weight. Yes, please contact your vet about the WonderLabs pills - we always recommend discussing with your vet any recommendations we give and highly recommend they review our website which is recommended by the AVMA. B12 is critical to properly managing EPI and supplementing is for life. There is actually a veterinarian office in Canada that after using B12 shots and not having a good response they tried the WonderLabs pills and saw great results so they have now switched the entire office over to using WonderLabs pills for B12 - even in non-EPI dogs!!!

As for treats, we do not recommend treats until your dog is stable (good poops and weight gain) for a few months. Then you can try adding in a grain free treat close to an enzymed meal, or one of our enzymed treat recipes on our website. Just watch the poops so you'll know if it agrees with your dog or not.

Keep us posted with updates.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Aarsonhfr
State: California
Pet name: Darry
My name: Loïc

Post by Aarsonhfr » 28 Mar 2024, 09:04

lourde0927 wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 20:13 I used CBD Oil for my dogs when we go to our Vet. They are so excited when we go outside. I gave them CBD Oil 15 to 30 minutes prior. CBD oil for our pets can treat health issues such as digestive or upset tummy, inflammation, joint pain or even allergies.
I tried this in my dog, I gave it when I know he faced a stressful situation. And as I done researching, I came across to this article about Cannabis and Mj kylekushman.com/00-box-personal-humidor/
It's important to approach the use of cannabis or any cannabis-derived products in pets with caution. While some anecdotal reports suggest that cannabis products may help alleviate stress or anxiety in dogs, there is limited scientific research on the safety and efficacy of these products in animals.