Asking for a friend... symptoms of EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jrose0315
State: Pennsylvania

Asking for a friend... symptoms of EPI

Post by jrose0315 » 10 Jan 2019, 14:47

Ok, so I know my dog was diagnosed with EPI when he came into the rescue, so he was easy. But my fellow foster has her own dog that she feels may have EPI as well based on seeing what I've been going through with my GSD and her dogs symptoms.
Here's what we have:
1 year old pit bull Roxy, has paste like yellow poop and will poop 5-12 times throughout the day, sometimes runny diarrhea. She can control the texture and it will be firmer if she is strictly kept on grain free limited ingredient food. Its Blue Buffalo grain free limited ingredient usually Salmon.
Now Roxy is not at all thin though, my GSD was a bag of bones. Shes a beefy girl.
Roxy will do great on the food until... BAM...She eats a single milk one or gets in the chicken feed or gobbles a bite of the other dogs food and shes back to runs, paste yellow 10 times a day poop.
Even when her poo is solid, she will still go at least 5 times a day.
I suspected maybe SIBO and possibly a round of Tylan for her but the yellow pastey consistancy is making me question EPI.
Vets said as long as food controls her then it's not EPI. I kinda disagree. Our vets know little regarding EPI I've noticed. We have the same vet.
I figure I'd ask the EPI colony of experts and get some direction.
Would the ScheBo canine test sold by enzyme diane be a good start?
Thoughts?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Asking for a friend... symptoms of EPI

Post by jilbert57 » 10 Jan 2019, 17:02

I was going to suggest the Schebo test. On the other hand if you had the cTli, folate and cobalamin tested and have a definitive answer the pup could get on the right track while in foster and may be easier to find an adopter. JMHO.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 11 Jan 2019, 13:45

I agree with Jill. Having the cTLI test with folate and cobalamin levels gives you a definitive answer so you can have the correct diagnosis right away. Each dog presents with EPI differently. Our Kolby had cow ploppy stools for quite a while on and off before anyone even thought of EPI. When he had a bout of diarrhea and it responded immediately to an antibiotic, our vet said it wouldn't do that if it was EPI. But then he started to lose weight, a pound here, and a pound there, so we asked for the test. cTLI was < 0.4.

Barb

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Jan 2019, 10:39

You are correct....The color and consistency of the poo sure warrants further investigation into the possibility of this being EPI.

Not all dogs developing EPI lose weight (in the beginning).... some don't even have loose stools.... but usually sloppy stools are one of the most common signs.

I agree with everyone else, that the better route is the accurate TLI test.... BUT.... if your friend just wants to know if they should pursue this further, the Schebo test is fine.... but will need to be followed up with a TLI if there is a positive indication.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jrose0315
State: Pennsylvania

Post by jrose0315 » 16 Jan 2019, 10:14

Thank you for the recommendations. I think she is going to start with the schebo test the TELL the vet what she wants next. We agree, the vets seem to think bc she isn't thin or sustains on the limited ingredient food it is not EPI. We disagree.
Let's see what happens.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Jan 2019, 10:22

Quite honestly i wish testing for EPI was at the top of the list for dogs with gastro issues instead of being at the bottom... too often they (vets) say "nah, not EPI" and suggest other expensive tests and sometimes invasive tests before doing a simple blood test for EPI and either confirm EPI or rule it out... and THEN after the EPI test, if not EPI, look at testing for other things...........

unfortunately the signs for EPI are similar to many other health conditions... and on the flip side.....some dogs can have EPI without displaying any symptoms or just one symptom.... and this is something that is often overlooked....

Common Symptoms

The most common symptoms are:

Gradual wasting away despite a voracious appetite
Eliminating much more frequently, sometimes every hour or two
Stools are greasy voluminous yellowish cow-plops, but sometimes grayish
Eating their own stools, or other inappropriate substances
Increased rumbling sounds from the abdomen
Increased passing amounts of flatulence
Some dogs do not show any typical signs
Some experience intermittent watery diarrhea or vomiting
Some dogs even display personality changes such as fearfulness or sudden aggression
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Jan 2019, 10:23

oh.. meant to also say... please keep us posted!