New batch of enzymes?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
CynRitch
State: Florida

New batch of enzymes?

Post by CynRitch » 18 Jan 2019, 11:44

My Nala was diagnosed a few years ago & has been managing absolutely great until a few months ago.

Her butt started to itch and become red, she began the butt-scratch boogie :)
We visited the vet to check her anal glands... all was well but expressed them anyway. Months later, she continues to have anal issues.

I've tried to change up her food to determine if she has developed allergies although no other allergy symptoms are visible. Recently, she has started not wanting to eat anything altogether, even the same recipe she's had for years

And very recently, her poo has gone downhill. She goes regularly but its looking kinda EPI again. The only thing that has changed is that I ordered a new batch of enzymes (ordered from same place where we've always purchased it). Using the same amount of enzymes as always. 1Cup kibble = 1tsp enzyme

Question... can a new batch of enzymes cause this effect?

Any other thoughts or recommendations? Thanks in advance for all input and advice!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: New batch of enzymes?

Post by Jean » 18 Jan 2019, 13:31

I have sent you a PM about the enzymes

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Jan 2019, 13:52

Hi. Has your pup had a course of antibiotics for the anal gland issue? Sometimes there can be an infection in the anal glands that can result in itching the seat.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

D Sloan
State: Ohio

Post by D Sloan » 18 Jan 2019, 14:56

Do you have the lot number of the batch you are using so I can look up the Lipase numbers? Do you happen to keep track of the levels that are on the package? Because porcine enzymes are made from pig pancreas glands and no two glands are the same the levels will always change. Enzyme Diane® has the actual analysis of the enzymes on the package.
If it is about 70,000 USP you may need to increase if the last batch you had was closer to 80,000 USP. It does not always need to be adjusted as most will never notice the change. Sarge needed adjusting on one batch then we went back to our normal amount.
These would be with the stools. I am sorry I not a help with the other issue.

Please let me know.

Diane

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 18 Jan 2019, 15:38

Thanks Diane

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

CynRitch

Post by CynRitch » 18 Jan 2019, 18:40

Thanks All! She has been on a round of antibiotics. Itchy butt has let up a little.
I don't know if the itchy butt/not eating/EPI poo issues are related but glad you all are here to help find answers

I'll email Diane directly.

With high hopes :)

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 19 Jan 2019, 03:48

I wanted Diane to allevite your fears in some way

however

the bottom thing

I have had this with my two males, both had their anal glands removed after months of impacting, neither had EPI

this is what trhe Kennel Club here says

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/health ... impaction/

My vets also did a paraasite test ,

the eating of poo is a classic sign of unstable EPI so, can you tell us your daily routine of food meds etc, I see you have a course of antibiotics, which ones are they ?

the things is now to keep a journal about everything

Jean

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 19 Jan 2019, 10:57

I'm sorry you're having a set back. Two things stand out to me - Wondering if it's SID. According to new research, EPI dogs always have SID brewing. It's possible that the food is not optimal and causing the SID to rear it's ughly head. Have you tried slippery elm bark powder? Here's a link to our Slippery Elm page https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/. Also wondering about B12. are you supplementing B12?
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

CynRitch

Post by CynRitch » 19 Jan 2019, 16:08

This has been our daily routine until the scratchy butt started a couple months.

Has taken Metridazole 250mg tabs for a few days during the course of these issues. If SIBO/SID, how long should she take? 4-5 days or longer?

morning feeding
1Cup kibble
1tsp enzymes (hopefully Diane can determine strength of our last order as the bag was thrown out)
1/2 cup water
-- sit for 20 minutes

dinner feeding
1Cup kibble
1tsp enzymes
1/2 cup water
-- sit for 20 minutes
** sprinkled over food on evening meal**
1 capsule organic Slippery Elm [Wild Harvest brand] (1200mg)
1 capsule B12 * Folic Acid * Intrinsic Factor [Wonderlabs brand] (Folic acid-800 mcg, B12-1000mcg)
3/4 packet ProPlan Fortiflora Probiotic (split with her Havanese, non-EPI brother)

>>Hold tight, here comes some food drama. I know I'm not doing it right but just want her to eat...
Food tried since end of October...

Since diagnosed with EPI, been eating Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Sweet Potato & Fish Formula Grain-Free Dry. This is what she was on when the itching began so vet put her on Purina Pro Plan HA Hydrolyzed Formula Chicken Dry.
She wouldn't eat so we tried Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hydrolyzed Protein Dry, Still wouldn't eat :(

We've tried
Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Pacific Catch Recipe with Salmon, Whitefish & Trout Grain-Free Dry
and Earthborn Holistic Alaska Pollock Meal & Pumpkin.

Poor baby has doesn't like any of it. She liked the smell of her brother's food Performatin Chicken & Sweet Potato but threw it up (YUCK!) an hour later.

I can handle the itchy bum, now I just want her to eat

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 20 Jan 2019, 05:16

blimee its hard when they wont eat, and makes me think she is either sore inside, or intollerant of chicken and fish, my girl is intollerant of both

is there anything she can eat without throwing up ?

it might be an idea to try Tylan for the protocal of 45 days, to alleviate any bad bugs in the gut,

Jean

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx