Newly diagnosed spitz

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
kese
Pet name: Mimosa
My name: Vivien

Newly diagnosed spitz

Post by kese » 22 Jan 2019, 07:39

Hello, my name is Vivien and I have a small spitz called Mimosa. She is 10 years old and now weighs 5,3 kg (11,6 lbs).

A week ago she had a blood test and the TLI result was 2ng/ml. The main problem why I tested her was that she couldn't gain weight (she had an illness before and lost nearly 1 pound) and was pooping a lot and often. Not the cow pie like, just a bit loose and sometimes yellowish. First I thought about SIBO because she took omeprazole for acid reflux and I read that it often cause it. When we had the test results the vet said to give her enzymes and maybe stop the omeprazole. We didn't test for B12, so that is awaits us.

So, now I feed her 3 times a day (before she was fed 2 times) with wet and dry food. I don't plan to change the food because we tried a lot and this combination seemed to be perfect. I use Creon 10.000 capsules (2 capsules for 45g wet and 90g dry food), sprinkle on the food (I try to smash the dry food to crumby pieces so I can mix it with the wet food and the Creon well) and give her probiotics. Now she poops nearly normal, only 3-4 times a day and much less, but sometimes a little bit softer.

The other issue is with the acid reflux, because I used omeprazole but I fear that if she doesn't have SIBO now, she will have beacuse of it. Now I changed the omeprazole to famotidine, but I was told that you shouldn't break the tablets because it is enteric coated and to break it, you lessen the effect of it and that famotodine is not good for long term use. Now, with famotidin she sometimes regurgitates (small amount of brownish liquid) and burps and her stomach still can be noisy (not as much as before the enzymes). I started to give her slippery elm (100mg), before bedtime and I wonder if I should try to give after every meal, too. Or should I wait some more to have effect (I only started it 2 days ago)?

And I don't know if it's related to the EPI or not, but weeks before her diagnosis she started to drink more water (around 3-4dl), which is not too much for her weight I think, but definitely more than she used to drink.

Anyway, her mood and appetite is good, and I don't expect everything to be perfect just yet. It's hard without treats, and the regurgitation is bothering, but I hope I can update you soon with good news.
I'm Vivien and I have a spitz girl, named Mimosa. We are from Hungary.

She is 10 y.o., weighs 11,6 lbs and was diagnosed in January 2019, with a 2 ng/ml TLI level.

I feed her 2 times a day (mix of wet and dry food) and use Creon 10.000 capsules.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Newly diagnosed spitz

Post by jilbert57 » 22 Jan 2019, 09:40

Hi Vivien and welcome to you and Mimosa. The way we treat the SID is either wait a week while on enzymes to see if it resolves itself or treat with an antibiotic, usually a 45 day course. In the US we would use Tylan or Metronizadole(flagyl). Not sure what antibiotics you have in Hungary . We would clear up SID and if needed add the ranitidine or famotidine for the reflux.
Thank you for adding your signature.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

kese

Post by kese » 25 Jan 2019, 13:18

Hi Jill, and thanks for the answer. I have a new question already. :D Mimosa's belly is a bit harder than it used to be, and not just after eating. Is this because of the enzymes or should I worry about it?

She is 10 y.o., weighs 11,6 lbs and was diagnosed in January 2019, with a 2 ng/ml TLI level.

I feed her 2 times a day (mix of wet and dry food) and use Creon 10.000 capsules.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Jan 2019, 13:44

Does she act like it is tender when you push on it? Is it distended at all?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

kese

Post by kese » 25 Jan 2019, 14:05

It doesn't seem to be distended, and she doesn't feel pain when I push on it, it's just very stiff.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 25 Jan 2019, 15:49

i think maybe the vet

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Jan 2019, 16:25

Hi Vivian,

When the belly is hard like what you are describing.... i strongly suggest calling your vet, telling hem/her about it and bringing Mimosa in for the vet to examine.... this might not be EPI related... and just in case it is something like bloat settling in, you will want her examined by a vet right away.

Regarding her regurgitating a brown liquid like- - and everything else you are describing.... that sounds like a bacterial infection.... it could be SID/SIBO which ALL epi dogs have... just that some have it under decent control while others do not... and when not under good control, that is when it needs to be treated . First we try with stuff like SLippery Elm (a prebiotic) and if that doesn't help enough in a short period of time........ then we suggest antibiotics. First we suggest "Tylan" (this usually works very well) , Second we suggest (since you are outside the USA) "Oxytetracycline", Third, we suggest "Metronidazole" (which does not always work as well as expected)

The slippery elm you are giving should help.
The Omeprazole will NOT cause SIBO.... Mimosa, if diagnosed with EPI already has SIBO... many EPI dogs have to take acid reducers of one kind or another. Omeprazole works very well with most of our dogs... HOWEVER.... any of the acid reducing drugs will wrk great for a while and then stop working.... so what you need to do wth the acid is swtich to another acid reducer (Pepcid AC (famotidine), Prilosec (omeprazole), ranitidine, cimetidine, etc….) for a short while and then go back to the Omeprazole (and it should work once again after you take a break from it).

Please take care of the hard belly, talk to your vet.... and let us know what transpires..... afterwards we can better help you will the EPI stuff.

Please, please keep us posted!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 26 Jan 2019, 20:27

Hi and welcome to our EPI family. Your little fluff ball is adorable :) . Have you had the B12 tested yet? B12 is critical to properly managing EPI. EPI dogs need their B12 in the higher range 600+ and supplementing is for life. Let us know when you get the results.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

kese

Post by kese » 27 Jan 2019, 14:51

Hi, thanks for the answers and advices. I talked to our vet and he examined Mimosa. It seems that her umbilical hernia (we knew of it for years, it's small and doesn't bother her) changed, I can't push it back like before. The vet said we should watch it if it gets bigger or causes pain, but doesn't require immediate surgery. Maybe this causes the stiff belly and not bloating or anything like it. But I noticed when she lays still and relaxed, her belly doesn't feel so tense (maybe it can be an adverse effect to a muscle strain on the back/waist?).
We planned B12 test, but until we have it I give her Protexin Cobalaplex (B12 and folic acid). Unfortunately, I couldn't find nothing in Hungary with intrinsic factor in it.
I will keep you posted if I know something more.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 27 Jan 2019, 18:56

Have you checked Chemeyes to see if they can ship to you? Here's a link to their B12 page - it is similar to what we use in the U.S. - it has intrinsic factor which helps with absorption.
https://www.chemeyes.co.uk/product/vita ... ic-factor/
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.