Increased breathing and panting

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mtayw
State: Kentucky

Increased breathing and panting

Post by mtayw » 24 Jan 2019, 05:14

Hi all. This is my first post on the forum as my dog was diagnosed only a little over a week ago and I have already found it immensely helpful so I want to say thank you for this community up front.

I have ordered EnzymeDiane and am awaiting its arrival in the mail but in the meantime, I started one of the emergency enzymes listed on her page because he had already lost so much weight. He is currently taking 7 crushed up pancreatin mixed with water and then with food for 20 minutes before eating. His stool has been perfectly solid ever since and frequency is good, he has already gained back 3 pounds so I am very happy. He also took his first B12 shot this Monday.

I am concerned though that I have noticed an increase in heavy breathing and panting in my Raspie in the last couple of days. It is almost always when he is just lying around but he does not seem to be in any discomfort. Does anyone have any clues as to what may be causing this? Maybe the enzyme or the B12? This has never been an issue before so I am inclined to think it is one of the 2. Thanks!
My Raspie was recently diagnosed on 1/18/2019 after 5 months and an almost 9 pound weight loss. Have ordered EnzymeDIane but am currently using emergency enzymes listed on her page.
B12 shots once a week

TLI = 1.5
Folate = 8.29
Cobalamin = 171

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Increased breathing and panting

Post by jilbert57 » 24 Jan 2019, 09:37

Hi and welcome to you and Raspie. Glad you started the B12 shots as Raspie's level is low. It needs to be at the upper end of the high level. How often is he getting a shot? It seems I recall a discussion on panting but I can't recall the outcome. Mine pant when they are stressed. His gums are nice and pink? Someone should be here soon who might have an answer.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Jan 2019, 16:41

HI and a very warm welcome to you and Raspie!!!

Periodically we have heard from others (EPI pet owners) about their dogs panting, when resting.
This has been happening to my EPI dog off and on for over 12 years (my EPI gal, Izzy, was diagnosed at 1+1/2 yrs old with EPI she is now almost 14 years old and still going strong)..... however... periodically she too "pants" a lot while laying on the floor resting.

I never could really figure out why, my vet has repeatedly checked her out ,as a heart issue is what first comes to mind and yet, nothing. her heart is fine and they never could find anything.

SOOooo... fast forward to about a month ago. Epi4dDogs currently is involved in a Metabolomic and Microbiota research with EPI dog. With of the side studies they did with all the EPI dogs blood, urine and feces samples ..... they already know that our EPI dogs are deficient in the digestive enzymes, most are deficient in B12 and their bile production is not as it should be, but what they also were able to finally confirm is that our dogs are very deficient in fat soluble vitamins too (see EPI research tab).... So... i started poking around thinking hmmm... if they are deficient in vitamins, that can also skew their intake with minerals too.... either they might have too much or too little of certain minerals. so.... i started poking around some more and discovered that low magnesium will cause panting- -I checked with my vet and they worked out a low dose to "try" and sure enough... my dog's panting has stopped. I have no idea if this is because she really has a deficiency in magnesium or if it is just coincidence... or she might even be processing too much magnesium and i may not be helping her at all..... and this too is just a coincidence. Anyway... i am just tossing this out there to discuss with your vet to see if it is something your vet thinks is okay (or not) to try. I have spoken to the researchers about testing for mineral levels in our EPI dogs...so maybe this is something we can pursue in the future........

In the meantime.... the upside is, in all the years that we have heard of this complaint.... people will first have their vet check their dogs over to make sure there is nothing serious going on.... (and so far there never has been anything reported ) and the good thing is, that it has not caused any major problems that we know of.

Not sure if this is helpful or not..... but please do keep us posted
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 26 Jan 2019, 11:18

If it’s nothing medical, get your fires, gas or oil appliances checked for fumes. I’m not joking. Someone I worked with went to hospital with husband because they started getting really drowsy. It was the the dog panicking and panting etc that roused them. It was their faulty gas boiler, and could have killed them.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Jan 2019, 11:41

WOW... never thought of that... good idea to check on possible house fumes. Good point!

In our personal situation thou this doesn't apply since Izzy has been doing this panting for years and since we have had her, we have moved into different home 6 times .... and the panting has been consistent no matter where we lived.... but it is still a good thing to check on. Thanks!!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

john1947
State: New York
Pet name: TASHA
My name: John

Post by john1947 » 21 Jan 2020, 17:13

Hi
MY 14 old lab has had a two year history chronic pancreatitis .She later developed loss of stamina,loss weight periodic diarrhea,.stiffness sometimes ,unable to climb stairs,bloating,passing gas good appetite.She has been stable for three months.Her vet in oct felt she might have cancer.XRAY showed buildup of food in stomach.DX seemed to shift,lol
She is sitting by me now in peace. :D
I started the 6x enzyme.I let it soak about 30 minutes>Before I gave her a second feeding I noticed heavy panting and anxiety.I stopped the treatment and the symptoms went away.I did let a batch soak longer and noticed it completly broke down the kibble to a slurry.
I wonder if these symptoms developed with others and how they dealth with them.Thanks much
john

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 23 Jan 2020, 09:27

Hi John, I started a thread for you titled John with Tasha.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Ruby
State: Florida

Post by Ruby » 24 Jan 2020, 22:13

Hi ...This is just a thought that you may consider. Did you give your do a flea application recently??? I had given one of my dogs a flea application and when he was laying down is when I noticed he was doing some deep panting. Just something you may consider. If this is the case wash the medication off your dog. Hope you find out what is going on.

Nibraha22
State: Arizona
Pet name: Duke
My name: Nineveh (nina)

Post by Nibraha22 » 03 Jun 2020, 16:10

Hi guys,
My dog tested but was borderline epi w low b12
Vet recommended i start him on enzymes anyway
His poo is finally normal! But

I noticed his breathing is shallow and rapid

Has anyone else experienced this???

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Jun 2020, 09:39

If you could give us some more information, that would be very helpful.... as rapid breathing can be an underlying cause of a vast variety of different causes... or it can be nothing to be concerned about (the "nothing to be concerned about" is what happened to us with my EPI gal....)..... however, shallow rapid breathing can be caused from a pancreatitis.... or kidney or liver issue or a heart issue, etc, etc, etc. I have not heard where the enzymes themselves can cause rapid breathing, but then again, i have learned never to say never.

SO.... if you could answer some of the details above and explain to us exactly how and how much you are administering the enzymes with how much food, that might be helpful too.