Razzie 14 year old

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Razzie 14 year old

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Feb 2019, 10:02

Welcome to the forum. Well it is not pancreatitis with a score of 110. Is it fair to say your vet is not open to suggestions you bring to the table? Getting the SID under control might also help other issues.
This is from the TAMU vet site:

"Serum TLI values above 50.0 µg/L (dogs) and 100.0 µg/L (cats) may be associated with either acute or chronic pancreatitis or decreased renal excretion due to severe renal insufficiency, although our experience suggests that serum TLI is often minimally increased even in severe renal failure. Elevated serum TLI concentrations are also seen in some malnourished patients (dogs usually) without evidence of pancreatitis, and in some cats with patchy pancreatic hypertrophy/atrophy (generally considered to be a benign age-related change). Because increased serum TLI concentrations are not specific for pancreatitis it is important to perform a PLI test before concluding a patient has pancreatitis. Serum TLI is increased in only approximately 30-40% of cats and dogs with pancreatitis; normal test results do not rule out the possibility of pancreatic inflammation. If pancreatitis is suspected, a PLI test should be performed. In cats increased serum TLI is often also observed with small intestinal disease. In these cases serum concentrations of cobalamin and folate should be determined for evaluation of the small intestine."

So you have elevated Tli and normal cPl and it says renal issues and/or malnourish. I would tend to this also. Don't know about the use of enzymes when neither EPI nor pancreatitis is present. Have they had your pup on a renal diet?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Feb 2019, 11:53

Hi and thank you so much for those test values. As suggested... this isn't EPI... and it doesn't look like Pancreatitis.

The elevated liver enzymes ALT is (my guess) most likely due to SID and with such a high Folate score, although not to be used as a diagnostic tool.... is high which also "indicates" SID...... did anyone explain this to you? Did anyone suggest or give Tylan antibiotics for SID. SID can happen with any gastro condition like IBD, IBS, etc.... and not just EPI.

Next the fact that the AST level went back to normal AFTER you reduced those medications "indicate" that it was the medications elevating the AST... (which is a HUGE relief, as this is another liver enzyme- -and when out of whack then you have something to worry about)

Okay that GGT.... that can either be something to worry about or... it could be nothing to worry about cause it can also be triggered by drugs.... here is an explanation of GGT that may help you better understand the possibilities of what might be going on: "Various types of liver damage will raise GGT levels in your pet’s blood. GGT levels tend to rise significantly any time bile flow within your pet's liver is blocked (cholestasis). Bile duct obstructions (by gall stones or duct inflammation), liver tumors or secondary to pancreatic inflammation can all cause high GGT levels.

Corticosteroid medications can also raise GGT levels, as can drugs given to control epilepsy (phenobarbital), biliary tract hyperplasia or biliary tract inflammation (cholangiohepatitis)."

So.... as you can see... the GGT level might be raised because there is a problem with the liver... OR... it might be raised simply because of the meds your dog is on.

I have to agree with your vet, in that i wouldn't want to do a scope at your dog's age either.....to positively see if this is IBD either... Although it sure sounds like it could be a possibility since EPI has been ruled out, which BTW, i commend whoever made the decision to test for EPI first :)... smart move and the most logical next step.

The only other thing i can think of is to ask your vet if you can try a true "HYDROLYZED" dog food.... there are only 5 on the market, the latest being by Blue (but i personally am not impressed with their ingredients) Many of us have had the best luck with Royal Canin "Ultamino" hydrolyzed food. Hydrolyzed food is processed in such a manner that that body will not recognize protein ingredients therefor eliminating ANY possible offending food sensitivity with IBD..... so... you might want to try this instead of the EN... although EN is a very good food for those battling most unknown gastro issues.........

The only thing i will warn you is that Royal Canin "Ultamino" or any of the Hydrolyzed foods are expensive and you never know which brand out of the 5 are going to work best for your dog (if this is IBD or IBS) so... if you decide to try this, my thought is to ask the vet (since this is a prescription food) to get you the smallest bag possible... just in case it doesn't work.

Not sure if any of this is helpful.... but i hope so.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 14 Feb 2019, 12:00

as far as Royal Canin is concerned, they have a returns policy which can be used once over here in UK

This is way out of my knowledge

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 16 Feb 2019, 12:24

Hi there. Glad Olesia chimed in. I too was going to suggest Tylan for SID as that could definitely be going on as well as the Royal Canin Ultamino food. It's so hard and frustrating when you don't know for certain what is going on. Please keep us posted - your pup is lucky to have you!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.