Signs of Instability

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Signs of Instability

Post by Madelon » 21 Mar 2019, 08:18

With regard to the B12, I am perplexed as well - you said it was over 738 when she had the "crash" but she had not had a B12 shot in 3 months? You said you give 10,000 mcg - that is WAY higher than the recommended shot dose if I looked up the conversion right. 1mcg is equal to 1ug - the recommended starting protocol is 1,000ug for a dog over 40lbs. This may explain why the level was still high 3 months after the shot. I'm not sure I would give 10,000 in one dose.

If I were you, I would either do the pills or the shot but not both, especially with the shot at such a high dose. If you're going to use the pills I would start with 1 pill every day or 1 pill every other day - assuming Anja weighs over 40lbs - but not do the shots. If you're going to do the shots I would reduce the amount given and not use the pills. Honestly I don't think it's a B12 issue if her level was so high after such a high dose and then 3 months without anything.

I agree with Patsy - you might need an antibiotic. If it's SID, you can try the Slippery Elm powder first and see if that restores the gut. If not, then a course of Tylan might be needed.

I don't know how long Anja had been stable with EPI, but I'm wondering if when all this started, she needed a tweaking of enzymes - as they age a lot of EPI dogs need a tad bit more enzymes. But the total collapse may have been something completely unrelated to EPI.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 21 Mar 2019, 10:50

Hello i to wonder whether this is something not related to EPI or SID...also i have seen dogs and i mean non Epi dogs loose weight on raw for what ever reason it doesn't suit all dogs.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Brin625

Post by Brin625 » 31 Mar 2019, 23:37

Hi Madelon,
So sorry about the misinformation on the B12 injections. The figures that I gave I think may have been misleading. The 10,000 mcg represents the strength per 10 mL. Anja gets a 1 mL injection monthly. When her Cobalamin results had come back so high back in July, the vet had told me to stop the injections, which I did. Then, 3 months later is when Anja had crashed so badly. I had her Cobalamin level tested then and the result was greater than 700. Since all that happened, she has been back on monthly injections. Anja had been stable for a good year after she was diagnosed.

I should be getting my order of the B12 with intrinsic factor and the Slippery Elm from WonderLabs this week, I'm hoping. Since Anja just had her injection last week, I'm planning on starting her on the tablets, and I guess I'll have to see how she responds to those. She seems to be improving now. I am supplementing her raw diet with the dry kibble she was originally on, with 1 tsp. enzymes per cup of food, bringing her amount up to 150% daily, and I think she has stopped eating her stool which is definitely a good sign!

I will continue to keep you posted!
My girl is Anja, born Feb. 9, 2014. Diagnosed with EPI Sept. 2017. TLI 1.6, Cobalamin <111, Folate 13. Was 93lbs but had dropped to 74lbs. Is on Enzyme Diane's Pancreatin 6X 1/2 tsp per cup of food and is on a raw food diet. Current weight is 85 lbs. Followed B12 protocol at 1 injection per week for 6 weeks, then 1 injection after 30 days, then a retest 30 days after that. Results still poor at 164, Folate at 17. Continued with monthly B12 injections, then retested 5 months later. Results came in at a whopping >3689! Veterinarian told me to stop injections and retest in 6 months.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 01 Apr 2019, 06:29

never apologise

EPI screws your head up

let us know how it goes

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 02 Apr 2019, 20:54

As Jean said - never apologize - EPI does mess with your head :) . Glad to hear Anja is doing a bit better. Please do keep us posted on how things go.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.