Odour

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
BronteH
Pet name: Bronte

Odour

Post by BronteH » 07 Mar 2019, 11:38

Bronte, a Labradoodle, was diagnosed with a pancreatic disordered in January. I am now putting Pank-aid on her food. Her food was grain free. She started to gain weight and her poop hardened and returned to normal (firm, amount, and number/ day), but a new issue arose. She was emitting an odour that was like sour milk or a damp towel that needed to be laundered.

I bathed her but within 5 to 7 days the odour was unbearable so another bath. The vet noted that her hair was oily and this surprised her as she had been bathed twice in a 2 week period. I was prescribed a medicated shampoo, but the odour returned in a few days.

Bronte thyroid was tested and it was extremely high. Another test was done and it was still high. I was advised to change her food. I was to try to find s food with no organ meat. I chose the brand GO Salmon-No Grain. (A friend with a dog on Pank-Aid said she used GO food).

The change of food and reducing the amount of Pank-Aid from 1.5 tsp to around .75 tsp has helped with the odour but it is still there. I was able to go 3 weeks before a bath with the medicated shampoo.

Has anyone had this problem? The odour is not from her breath, it seems to be from her pores and is emitted randomly.

Looking forward to hearing about some things that might help. She’s a beautiful dog but sometimes stinks!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Odour

Post by Jean » 07 Mar 2019, 12:04

hi there and welcome

Ingredients in Pank-Aid

Each 2.8 g (1 tsp.) of Pancrelipase USP 100% w/w contains: Lipase (67,200 USP Units), Protease (280,000 USP Units), and Amylase (280,000 USP Units).

this is one ive not heard of but its fine

so was the diagnosis positive for EPI ?

The smell is horrid, but it actually goes in time

so the vets have tested for thyroid and its high, so you have to change the food, is the vet thinking of surgery for the tyroid gland , I only say this because my cat had this issue, and the foods change didnt sort it , so surgery, and it was sorted instantaneously

jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 07 Mar 2019, 12:18

Hello and welcome to you and Bronte.

I am assuming that when you said Bronte has a pancreatic disorder, you are referring to EPI? (There are other disorders) Can you tell us if he had the cTLI test and what the results were? Also, was the cobalamin (B12) tested at the same time and what was that number?

It sounds like he is responding to the enzymes and his stools are improving. That is very good news. You are doing a good job.

Yes, some dogs emit an odor when they start the enzymes. There is a section here (from the Home Page) about the odor and the research that has been done concerning this, but so far there are no conclusions (yet). For some, the odor will disappear in a few weeks or months. For others it takes longer. You can read the survey that was conducted and the information contained in the results.

I am wondering about Bronte's thyroid. Has it improved or have they found a cause? Is Bronte taking medication for it?

Please let us know how he is doing.

Barb

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 08 Mar 2019, 07:12

Oh this is very common the smell it either goes or you just get used to the pong...some say adding B12 which EPi dog needs helps anyway.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 08 Mar 2019, 07:46

Hi and welcome. We are almost 4yrs into EPI management and sometimes my boy smells and sometimes he doesn't, but I've gotten used to it. What researchers are now saying is they think the smell is actually related to SID - the food that has not digested in their stomach. If you did not have the B12 tested and are not supplementing B12, I highly recommend getting it tested so you have a base number and then start supplementing. Many of us use the WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 pills. B12 supplementing is critical to properly managing EPI and they will need it for life. I would not recommend reducing the amount of enzymes being used in order to decrease the smell - the most important thing is they are digesting their food and having good poops.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 17 Mar 2019, 12:07

We had the horrible odor at the beginning...it did finally go away. Mostly. Ours smelled like sour vomit mixed with cat pee. Not pleasant for sure.
I'm like Madelon, sometimes my girl smells better than others. Overall she smells good more than bad. She does have a different smell in general than she did pre diagnosis, but the good news is that the horrible stench does go away for most.
In the mean time, bathe her as often as she (and you) tolerate, wash her bedding frequently as well.
I have a Labradoodle too <3
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.