Kenzie more problems

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Stacie & Dizzy
Staff
State: Arkansas

Re: Kenzie more problems

Post by Stacie & Dizzy » 21 Mar 2019, 14:14

At least you know the major allergy and can stop giving her food with lamb. Hopefully the company will take back or exchange the food you already purchased. I took my girl off salmon based dog food and I'm already starting to see a difference. She seems to not be itching as much.
My name is Stacie and my girl's name is Dizzy. German Shepherd, Age 10-diagnosed 12/24/2011 at 55 pounds, current weight is 93 pounds.
Feeding Taste of the Wild 4 cups a day with Enzyme Diane 1tsp per cup. Wonderlabs b12 once daily.
Dizzy has Pannus, given Cyclosporine drops in each eye twice daily. Pepcid once daily. Apoquel for allergies once daily.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 21 Mar 2019, 15:32

The list of allergies is long. The environmental ones we can get a specific serum made and regular injections, the food is the problem.
Apart from lamb, beef, venison,eggs, turkey, tomato, cod, white fish, mackerel and peas. The testing results are very informative but unfortunately not based on an epi dog so all the recommends are useless ! I have checked out food on here but on the pea free food recommends are Millies Wolfheart which all have pea fibre or tomato? This needs updating. I will ring Millies tomorrow but so far it looks like home cooked is the only way? Poor Kenzie, as Miss Maddie Moo said, the enzymes have been hiding underlying issues!
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 21 Mar 2019, 16:23

As Kenzie doesn't have EPI and in fact her TLI has gone up i would concentrate on the allergies first what about a hydrolyzed diet i would imagine you want to find something that works before you go away ...unless Millies can suggest something my gal didn't fair well when there was a high content of peas in the food but she wasn't allergic just made her poops go south.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 21 Mar 2019, 16:31

I don't know that she does not have epi?? She has been treated for epi for 4 years? The vet does not say we should stop treating her for epi. All the blood test results state borderline and low? I am very confused now! It's too late to move her onto other food at a good slow rate now!
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 21 Mar 2019, 20:59

I would continue treating as EPI. Even with a score of 5.5 you are within the SEPI range of EPI - meaning your dog could be headed towards full blown EPI. Also given that your original test score was even lower, assuming it was fasted, I would definitely continue with treating as EPI. Here's a link to information on our website regarding test results https://epi4dogs.com/tli-test-not-quite-epi/ .

As for food sensitivities and environmental allergies I can TOTALLY relate. My boy is allergic to literally EVERYTHING. I can tell you from my personal experience that if using a truly organic food you MIGHT be able to use a food even if it has something your dog is sensitive to. I have been able to used a truly organic food that had chicken even though my boy is highly sensitive to chicken. Can you get Sport Dog Food Elite where you are? I just switched my boy to it a few months ago because his old food changed and he's doing GREAT on it - a few others have used it as well with good results. While we have a lot of food on our list we don't have every food on our list so start looking at what's available to you and see if you can find one that meets EPI requirements and food sensitivities.

As for environmental allergies - I've been able to keep mine pretty controlled with Duoxo shampoo for bath (more frequent baths in the Spring to Fall) and Zyrtec.

Keep us posted on how things go.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 22 Mar 2019, 04:53

Allaboutdogfood.co.uk
Have you checked through the filters on this website?
If chicken is ok, there is an Arden Grange dry food and lists of plenty others. Is duck ok? You may be ok using rice or oats in the ingredients.what a nuisance this happens when you are going on holiday.
I’m sure Millie’s will accept the returned food.
Otherwise you could try minced raw food, found in freezers in most pet food shops. Then add your own veg. If wanted.
It comes as a 500gm block, usually with minced bone and organ meat in it, about £1 a block, or free flow. Pets at home do huge bags. Also raw food shops. I have done raw feeding for a while in the past, only stopping in respect of new babies visiting. It’s not messy at all, and dogs love it. However my dogs are tiny and cheap to feed.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 22 Mar 2019, 07:36

Unfortunately cannot get the sport food here. Her allergies include peas, brewers yeast and many others. Arden grange is no good. I have spoken with Milies and sent over the allergies list, they are going to send me some suggestions. Fingers crossed.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 22 Mar 2019, 08:25

I'm glad Millies is willing to work with you, I hope they come up with a good solution. Hydrolyzed food may be a good option at least for the short term.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 22 Mar 2019, 14:46

Millies have been very helpful. Trying a new food next week. Anyone know if white fish allergies will include the skin?

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 22 Mar 2019, 17:45

who ran your allergy tests

my Kara can rreally only have lamb

what about tripe from the freezers at Pets at Home

white fish is something Kara cannot tolerate, skin and all

it goes right through her. she itches, and sheds her bowel !

lovely !

jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx