Kenzie more problems

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Floramac

Re: Kenzie more problems

Post by Floramac » 12 Mar 2019, 14:39

Results of blood tests all clear. Good news but no answers. Back tomorrow for the allergy blood tests and skin scrapes. Her itchiness seems a little better since we have been giving one warm shower a day. Her poos are still not great, first one formed but soft, second (not long after) just about formed but very soft, afternoon one good? That's been 5 days at 3/4 tsp enzymes, unsure about dropping any further?
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

Stacie & Dizzy
Staff
State: Arkansas

Post by Stacie & Dizzy » 12 Mar 2019, 16:21

My girl has always licked her feet and has had problems with her ears itching. I recently took Dizzy to the vet because she had sores on her spine area and two bald patches around her hip areas. My vet suspects environmental allergies. He did mention testing her thyroid if the allergy medicine didn’t help. He put her on Apoquel once a day. It has helped a lot, but didn’t stop the itching completely. He didn’t offer me a blood test for allergies. I am thinking Dizzy must have food allergies too. When I called the vet to get a food allergy test done, they said there wasn’t one. I know that is not true, so I’m kind of stuck with paying $300 for the Nutriscan test you buy online, which my husband doesn’t agree with. I’m now considering changing food to a limited ingredient. Her poops are so perfect right now I hate to change. I hope you get answers from the test and your girl gets better.
My name is Stacie and my girl's name is Dizzy. German Shepherd, Age 10-diagnosed 12/24/2011 at 55 pounds, current weight is 93 pounds.
Feeding Taste of the Wild 4 cups a day with Enzyme Diane 1tsp per cup. Wonderlabs b12 once daily.
Dizzy has Pannus, given Cyclosporine drops in each eye twice daily. Pepcid once daily. Apoquel for allergies once daily.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 17 Mar 2019, 11:53

Did you get the results from the allergy test? If the poops are mostly formed but soft I would stick with what you are doing until you get the allergy test results back. I can't remember - have you tried Slippery Elm Bark Powder?
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 17 Mar 2019, 11:58

Just throwing it out there, my daughter's non EPI dog was so itchy she was scratching the hair off all over her body. They tried several different foods with no relief, shampoos etc. They began to home cook her food and all of her itchiness has gone away and her hair is back. They aren't super picky about which protein they use either, mix it up a bit, but something about the kibble was getting to her. I think it is Olesia's pup that is allergic to the storage mites that live in dry kibble dog food...something to think about.
Of course being an EPI dog, you will have to be more careful of the ingredients than they are.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 17 Mar 2019, 17:11

Re skin condition, which could be anything till you have results, if you are prescribed pricey malaseb shampoo, you will find the same antifungal ingredients in cheap original He*d and sh**lders shampoo. Check the website. A trichologist friend uses it on his dog, so I tried it on my daughters white, itchy dog with anal staining and brown eye stains. All have cleared up.
I hope you get to the ‘bottom’ of the poo problem.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 18 Mar 2019, 04:05

Madelon wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 11:53 Did you get the results from the allergy test? If the poops are mostly formed but soft I would stick with what you are doing until you get the allergy test results back. I can't remember - have you tried Slippery Elm Bark Powder?
The allergy results will take 7 - 10 days. We did try slippery elm but not good results so stopped.
The vet mentioned about the kibble mites which got me thinking. We do store the kibble in a plastic roller food bin which is an ideal container for these mites. New food on the way which I will store differently!

Will update with the allergy results (they test for 94 allergens!, probably why the cost of it is extortionate!)
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Mar 2019, 11:24

I have always read to store the food in its original container. I keep bags of food intact reclosing with some strong clips, bag top rolled over. Some small bags have ziplock top and Merrick food has velcro, very handy.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 18 Mar 2019, 20:32

I've always heard the same as Jill - keep food stored in it's original bag. I keep mine in the original bag and use clips like Jill said and then I keep that in a rollaway storage container with a lid. If it is storage mites the only way to kill them is to freeze the food. Olesia can give you details on that as that is what she has to do for her dog.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 21 Mar 2019, 08:56

Just had the call from the vets. Kenzie has lots of allergies, as expected mites are one of them, along with dust and house. But the biggest issue is lamb allergy, her food, Millies Wolfheart countryside is lamb based! I am going in this afternoon to go through the list with the vet. She did imply maybe we got the epi wrong (considering her borderline tli!!)and it's all been down to allergies! I have just bought 2 bags of Millies food as we are off on holiday next week and Kenzie is going to our friends for 2 weeks! Panic stations, I don't quite know what to think?

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 21 Mar 2019, 10:43

Well at least you may have got an answer ring Millies see if they will swap they may do at a small transport cost . We have seen in the past where the enzymes may mask another underlying condition which may be what has happened here especially with the TLI not coming in below 2.5 ...let us know how you get on.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]