New to EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
altair401
State: Massachusetts

New to EPI

Post by altair401 » 10 Mar 2019, 20:12

Hi there,

Our 6 yo Red Heeler was diagnosed with EPI about a month ago. We started noticing itchy issues last summer (2018) and then that was quickly followed by rapid weight loss. Our vet immediately suspected EPI so we went ahead and did all of the costly bloodwork. Except or very low cobalamin levels, the other indicators to diagnose EPI was normal. Our vet sent us home with Vitamin B shots to give him weekly. The shots didn't really help and he continued to lose weight.

After a while we decided to return to our vet and ask if it would be ok to put him on the medication for EPI to see if it would help. She agreed and within a couple weeks we noticed our dog started gaining weight. We were thrilled. It sucks the medication is so expensive but at least he wasn't suffering anymore.

The lingering issue we have now is that the itching is still an issue. He's been itching himself for 7 months. By now our dog has lost all the hair on his stomach from the constant licking and his skin color has darkened considerably. Is there anything we can do for the constant itching? We changed to Hills sensitive skin formula but he's been on that for a month now and he still has itching issues. He gets 1 tsp of PancrePlus with his food and he is fed twice a day.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: New to EPI

Post by Barb » 10 Mar 2019, 22:35

Hello. A warm welcome to you and your handsome boy. What is his name? I am sorry he is having difficulties.

If you can answer a few questions, it will help us to better help you.

Can you tell us the results of your pup's cTLI test in numbers? And the cobalamin numbers?

You mentioned that the B12 injections were not working. Did you discontinue the B12 treatment? Many of us use the Wonderlabs B12 with Intrinsic Factor and have enormous success with it. Also, what food are you giving and how much at each meal plus the amount of enzymes per meal. We usually recommend 1 tsp. per cup of food.

Was his thyroid checked in connection with the skin issues?

Many of us get our enzymes from Enzyme Diane. She is a member here and provides an excellent product for a fraction of the price of the commercial products. You can go to her website (enzymediane.com) and or talk to her in person. She publishes her phone number on her site.

It sounds like your pup was having itchy issues before his weight loss, which might indicate that the food is the problem. Is he still on the same food as he was before diagnosis? Sorry for all the questions. We would like to have as much information as possible.

Barb

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 11 Mar 2019, 05:36

welcome from the UK

and your names are ?

The itching sounds like a food, or surrounings allergy, such as grass seeds, we used Piriton, I am sure you can get something similar over there

this is what is in your food

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ith Chicken: Brewers' rice, maize, chicken (19%) and turkey meal, maize gluten meal, dried whole egg, digest, animal fat, dried beet pulp, soybean oil, minerals, flaxseed, vitamins, trace elements and beta-carotene. With a natural antioxidant (mixed tocopherols).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

to me there is far too much grain in it and chicken

our dogs in the main cannot tollerate chicken in any form of dog food, and that includes chicken fat, or poultry fat, rice, or grains

my girl would scratch herself bald with chicken ,and, or rice, my suggestion would be grain free, no rice no chicken

my friend had a New Foundland that was practically bald from scratching, they spent thousands at the vets, and were going to put him to sleep as he was so thin and pathetic, she started Bear on grain free as per my suggestion, voila a renewed dog

sometimes vets just dont see past their noses

as this itching started prior to enzymes I cannot think it is an allergy to the porcine in them

so if you could answer Barbs questions we will give you as much help as we can, and Enzzyme Diane is a God send over there

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

altair401

Post by altair401 » 11 Mar 2019, 12:24

It's hard to give answers to the question regarding the test results. The test was taken a while ago. All I know is his (Idgie) cobalimine was basically close top zero but the other results were normal. He's been on grain free his entire life. The itching and weight loss happened at the same time. Since giving him the enzymes he has gained back all the weight but is still itchy.

We've stopped giving him the b12 shots since the enzyme powder is helping him in terms of gaining the weight back.

altair401

Post by altair401 » 11 Mar 2019, 12:39

Some additional info... we switched his food because of the itching to Hills Science Diet sensitive skin formulas about a month ago - no improvement.

We also had his bloodwork done again in January and his Cobalamine levels were back to normal.

Should we still be giving him the shots even though the enzyme powder brought his weight back up? Sorry if the info is so sketchy. I feel like we've been playing wackamole with this.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 11 Mar 2019, 13:08

the vets will have the test results, I hope

difficult for me too, ok, so did the itching start when you gave him the enzymes ?

Jean

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

altair401

Post by altair401 » 11 Mar 2019, 13:29

No the itching was the first symptom that something was wrong way back in August. Then very soon after he started losing weight. The weight loss probably happened at the same time as the itching but took time for us to notice. We did 3 months of B12 shots starting in October. Those didn't help which weight gain. We did notice a slight improvement in terms of his itching. At the end of January we went back to the vet and asked if we could get him on the EPI medication powder. She agreed and since then he has gained all the weight back but is still itchy. During that January visit to the vet we also looked at his cobalamine (Vit B) levels and they were back to normal.

Since the powder helped him gain the weight back we stopped doing the B12 shots.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 11 Mar 2019, 13:36

I was going to say he may have an allergy to pork, and you can check our Home Page for porcine allergy information, but it seems like the itching started before you started the enzymes...... we are interested in the cobalamin numbers because B12 can drop quickly and we recommend that the numbers be in the mid to upper 600s for optimum balance in dogs with malabsorption issues. When my Kolby was diagnosed many years ago, they listed his cobalamin as normal .....but the number was 270......He did not stop having low B12 symptoms until we got that level up.

Barb

altair401

Post by altair401 » 11 Mar 2019, 13:40

Yes the itching was our first indicator that something was wrong.

Greg

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 11 Mar 2019, 14:07

have you changed anything in the house

e.g.

washing powder
changed a carpet
bedding

outside the house

any disinfectant
weed killer,

plants that the dog will maybe eat

just have a think... anything new

they can be intollerant to ANYTHING

Jean

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx