New to EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
altair401
State: Massachusetts

Re: New to EPI

Post by altair401 » 11 Mar 2019, 14:16

So does the EPI make them sensitive or is this a separate issue?

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 11 Mar 2019, 14:23

EPI is an immune deficiency issue, so yes they are very sensitive

my girl is really sensitive to even some trees !

but , forgive me if I am wrong , but has your dog got a positve EPI test result

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

altair401

Post by altair401 » 11 Mar 2019, 14:42

He did not test positive. But he did respond well after giving him the EPI medication.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 11 Mar 2019, 15:11

Can you ring your vet and get all the results.
We have seen cases were enzymes mask another underlying condition.
But also enzymes can help in small intestine problems so i wondered whether the folate test was done as well.
B12 for an epi dog needs to be above 600...so i am not sure what norm is on your results???
If the TLI test is low it may be that he is heading towards EPI.
The more info you give the better placed we are to help...no idea about the itching Maddie certainly scratched more when she molted... but that was after after the EPI treatment came in.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Mar 2019, 15:26

Hi,

So sorry you pup is itching and the skin is darkening.............. ... Has your vet checked /treated for Alopecia????

This could be an allergy to storage mites (which are in all kibble food and then some!!!!!)

Or it could be another environmental allergy.... which may be difficult to pinpoint.... what i would do first is have a conversation with your vet and ask if they would consider letting you "try" APOQUEL to see if this curtails the excessive itching.... if it does.... then you know your dog has an allergy or sensitivities and then you can test ... although allergy tests aren't very helpful UNLESS the dog has a real bad allergy to whatever. However you can also do a sensitivity test (Nutriscan) which is usually pretty darn accurate.

The darkening skin..... (minus the itching which could be from an allergy) could also be Alopecia from Cushings or A-Typical Cushings.... and a LOT of the symptoms display like EPI.... but when the TLI test is done--everything is normal. SO i would have a conversation with the vet if he/she thinks this "might" be a possibility and if so, run the full ACTH test...........

I know this doesn't answer anything... but it might give you some points to have a informative conversation with your vet on what to do next.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

altair401

Post by altair401 » 11 Mar 2019, 16:01

Thank you for the responses i will bring some of this up with our vet. She has the results so i will gather those too.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 12 Mar 2019, 04:30

before Olesia suggested Cusings, I was thinking down that line

my friends Pomeranian started scratching, and his skin went almost black, and he lost weight, I suggested Cushings, and it was

might also be as well to check for thyroid levels

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-hea ... idism-dogs

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

CleoM
Pet name: Cleo

Post by CleoM » 16 Apr 2023, 05:56

Hi I'm also new to EPI and this forum. My dog started feeling unwell early last year and it was just itching and scratching. That escalated to bad diarrhea in November. Vet diagnosed her with EpI. Digestive enzymes worked a treat and within two days poop was consistent. I only had one slip up when I gave her half a turkey sausage. She was ill for two days after that.
Her skin is getting dry again in the past week. Vet prescribed hills low fat digestive care which she has been on for about two weeks now. I see ppl on here don't recommend low fat. Could that be what is drying out her skin? I've ordered omega 3 and 6 in the meantime. Some ppl also recommend coconut oil.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Apr 2023, 09:53

It is hard to pinpoint the cause of dry and itchy skin but lack of fat intake can surely contribute. Probiotics can sometimes help. A lot of the time we recommend coconut oil to help gain weight.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

CleoM
Pet name: Cleo

Post by CleoM » 16 Apr 2023, 17:20

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to ease her onto omega 3 and 6 and then try coconut oil. I live by the rule now of only trying one thing at a time so I know exactly what's working and what not. Also Cleo's tummy won't take too many changes at once