GSD with EPI not responding to meds

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: GSD with EPI not responding to meds

Post by Barb » 19 Mar 2019, 16:53

Glad to hear that her liver is fine and she will not need surgery, but sorry about the weight loss and low B12. Many of us use Pet-Factor from Wonderlabs......B12 pills with Intrinsic Factor....with great success. Kolby did not start gaining weight until we got his B12 levels up.

Also, I know that many people do not like the prescription foods, but we could not find a food that Kolby would tolerate until we tried Royal Canin Gastrointestinal LF Veterinary food. He has been on it many years and his weight is stable at 85 pounds. Each dog is different and responds differently to various foods. I did not want to use a prescription food, but in the end, it is what worked for Kolby.

Let us know what you try.....and how she responds.

Barb

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 19 Mar 2019, 19:00

Sometimes the food is the hardest piece of the puzzle to figure out. While as a general rule we suggest if the dog has no other health concerns a prescription food is not necessary, each EPI dog is different and some like Barb's pup had trouble until they tried the prescription food.
I would just suggest to buy the smallest bag of whatever you decide to try and keep a careful log of how your dog responds. My vet put Riley on prescription food at the beginning. It was very expensive and she didn't do particularly well on it. I took it back to the vet and he gave me a refund and told me he can send it back to the company for a refund for him as well. So a trial of that may not be a bad thing and if it doesn't work you could return it.
When I was searching for a food, I printed up the info on our Dog Food Options tab and took it with me to the store. I was in there forever comparing ingredients! It took me a few trials to find one she did well on. For some it takes longer, but don't get discouraged, just keep trying new foods until you find one that works for your pup. You'll know when you've hit the right one, no more tummy rumbling, no more farts, firm poop.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

sgcavasos
State: New Mexico

Post by sgcavasos » 31 Mar 2019, 23:07

I'm trying her on the Nutrisource Senior dog food to see how she responds to that. She's not quite a senior yet but the vet said it wouldn't hurt. It's breakdown is similar to what the vet was talking about so we will see how she does on that. I also compared it to the list of food options that it on the website and it meets quite a few of those. So far she seems to be doing well with it. If this one doesn't work we will give the prescription food a try. She has put back on a little bit of weight, but she's still acting like she's starving all the time and her poop is still not normal. I'm sure it will take some time for everything to go back to normal with her, I'm just impatient lol I'm ready for her to get back to her old self again!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 01 Apr 2019, 06:41

hi there

this food is mainly chicken, which some of our dogs do not tolerate, as well as rice

Chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, barley, white rice, peas, natural turkey and chicken flavor, flax seeds, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), oatmeal, beet pulp-dried, menhaden fish meal (a source of fish oil), dried egg product, dried brewers yeast, salt, minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate, selenium yeast), potassium chloride, vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), lactic acid, glucosamine hydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), choline chloride, chondroitin sulfate, taurine, yucca schidigera extract, calcium iodate, rosemary extract,yeast culture, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract.

it wouldnt suit my Kara at all

could you maybe look at grain free, chicken free

but whatever get the smallest bag

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 02 Apr 2019, 20:50

Have you asked the vet about a course of Tylan if you're dealing with SID?

With regard to the food - as Elisabeth said it can be the hardest part of EPI. Look for one that has has limited or none peas and chicken and remember grain free with 4% fiber or less. It took me almost a year to find the right food for Doc because on top of the EPI he had a lot of food sensitivities. Buy small bags so you don't waste your money and I always suggest once on the new food give it a full week or two for their body to adjust (as long as you're not having diarrhea). A few of us have recently switched to Sport Dog Food Elite - I first heard about it on a GSD group and then again here. Also remember to feed 150% of the food for the weight your dog should be but in smaller more frequent meals.

I know this is all overwhelming in the beginning but we're not going anywhere and will be here to help guide you :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.