One Sick Little Tabby

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Sparkle Tangerine
Pet name: Montgomery

One Sick Little Tabby

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 15 Mar 2019, 18:30

Hey all,
Its been awhile, and Montgomery's been doing well...Until the last week or so. Loose stool and now diarrhea, lack of appetite, discomfort. Nothing has changed in his diet. We thought we were on the right track this morning when things began to firm up, but he just had diarrhea everywhere again. He goes to the veterinarian on Tuesday. His veterinarian has been away for March Break, so this is the earliest I can get him in. I don't know what to do right now. He's not vomiting, and he's hydrated. He isn't lethargic. Any suggestions?
Montgomery was born 21 March 2012. He is a DSH orange tabby and white. Montgomery eats RCFHN Spayed/Neutered Kitten dry food and Royal Canin Ultra Light wet food. He is a catnip junkie who loves paper bags and his stuffed mouse, Ignatz. His Pank-Aid is put into capsules each day as he gets mouth ulcers if it is mixed into his food. He gets two size zero capsules with each meal and eats six times each day. He gets .5ml Ovol twice a day for his gas. He is an enormous 3.08kg and strong enough to give his veterinarian a hard time. He is smart as a whip, has the loudest purr in the universe, and is so, so loved.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Re: One Sick Little Tabby

Post by Riley's Mom » 15 Mar 2019, 22:01

I'm sorry to hear Montgomery isn't doing well, he has been doing ok for quite a while hasn't he?
It's good that he's hydrated, at least as you wait for the vet appt you know he is ok.
Could he have gotten into something that set him off?
Not sure I can be very helpful, but wanted to offer my support.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 16 Mar 2019, 07:31

hi there

have you considered a fur ball ?

has he by any chance caught a bird, and eaten it ?

this SOUNDS like an infection, my female cat was the hunter, she killed, and ate all kinds, and so got coccidiosis, I really feel for you, cats become dehydrated very quickly, is there no way you can see a vet sooner, if needs be feed water by syringe and maybe some mashed potato if he will tolerate it, Cleo loved Pilchards in tomato sauce, or any tinned fish in tomato sauce

please let us know

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Mar 2019, 09:07

So sorry to hear that Montgomery is not doing well.... poor baby.....
i know that slippery elm helps loose stools with both dogs and kitties..... if you can get any of the loose powder slippery elm.. you can try some.. you would only need a tiny bit.... i would try a little under 1/16 of a teaspoon.... mixed in with his food.

Thank goodness he is hydrated and that you have a vet appt Tues.... although when our fur babies are sick.... 4-5 days wait feels like forever.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Sparkle Tangerine

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 16 Mar 2019, 12:27

Montgomery doesn't go outside, and he's disinterested in hunting (he doesn't chase flies, and he ignores our zebra finches). He's not one to eat things (actually, we spend a lot of energy trying to get him to eat properly), and we don't leave things down where he can reach them (he can't jump). Yeah, it seems like an infection to me as well, as we've gone through similar with Minnie May in the past. He's better to-day, though he still won't eat by himself. His stool was formed this morning and he evacuated his bowels in the litter box. We covered his beds with puppy pads last night as a precaution and only one was soiled when I got up this morning. His hydration is still good. I mixed some nutritional yeast into his mush before I fed him last night and this morning, for the added fibre and the B vitamins it provides. He had three baths last night. He smells like a cucumber. He hasn't needed a bath to-day (knock on wood). I would have loved to get him to the clinic sooner, but it has to be Sheri. No one else knows what to do with the little guy. We had Dinah into the clinic a couple of months ago for a urinary tract infection and the newer veterinarian was leery of handling her. If you're afraid of the normal animal, what are you going to do with this little ball of fuzz? We have fluids in the house if need be and I know the dosage. I have a thermometer, and he's good about being hand-fed. We gave him slippery elm last night. Big mistake. Hopefully, he continues to improve. We're wracking our brains trying to figure out what set him off.
Montgomery was born 21 March 2012. He is a DSH orange tabby and white. Montgomery eats RCFHN Spayed/Neutered Kitten dry food and Royal Canin Ultra Light wet food. He is a catnip junkie who loves paper bags and his stuffed mouse, Ignatz. His Pank-Aid is put into capsules each day as he gets mouth ulcers if it is mixed into his food. He gets two size zero capsules with each meal and eats six times each day. He gets .5ml Ovol twice a day for his gas. He is an enormous 3.08kg and strong enough to give his veterinarian a hard time. He is smart as a whip, has the loudest purr in the universe, and is so, so loved.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 16 Mar 2019, 12:52

why was the slippery elm a mistake
hours
Kara cant tolerate it, we did try

I cannot believe he tolerates a bath, I used to drop my Titch into the bath, and he would swim, and then demand to be lifted out, and then wouldnt speak for hours

it can be anything to set them off

Jean

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Sparkle Tangerine

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 16 Mar 2019, 13:26

Shortly after the slippery elm, he had another bout of explosive diarrhea, and then his second bath, and then more diarrhea, and then bath number three. He's resigned to being bathed. I've had him from five days old, so he's used to it. He also sits for his pills and will eat nicely from a syringe if need be. He seems to be on the mend to-day. To the veterinarian on Tuesday regardless. I have a friend who is an animal communicator and I've often toyed with letting the two of them chat. Cats...

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 16 Mar 2019, 13:35

I have had 4 cats all different, but they were fab

2 lived to 20, 1 to 16, and one sadly 8

keep us up to date

j

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 16 Mar 2019, 14:00

You are doing really well with all this. You have all the bases covered .....and it sounds like he is improving. I just can't believe all the baths he has had. Years ago, one of my cats almost sent me to the hospital when I tried to bathe her.

I hope he stays stable while you are waiting for the appointment. Let us know what you find out.

Barb

Sparkle Tangerine

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 16 Mar 2019, 14:42

Montgomery will be seven years old on the twenty-first. Hard to believe. He's tough as nails, this little guy. Thanks for all the help and support everyone. Most people don't understand him. This forum is a godsend.
Montgomery is good as gold until he gets to the clinic, then he's Mr. Obstructive. This is going to be interesting. I'll let you all know what happens.
Barb - I had to bathe Nia Maura once when she was younger and she actually did hit he ceiling. I know from which you speak...