Trialing no Creon.......scared

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Trialing no Creon.......scared

Post by Madelon » 18 Mar 2019, 20:30

Hi Danielle - so glad to see you got on to the forum and contacted Chemeyes - Suj is a gem and will help you any way she can. Just to give you a bit of my story and hopefully give you some comfort - my boy started having bad poops last May/June because the food manufacturer changed the formula of his food. The poor boy had poops ranging from 4 to complete diarrhea for MONTHS - about 6-7 months to be exact while I tried to find the right food for him - he has a lot of food sensitivities so it was more difficult for us. The point being we hung in there and you can too. Doc also throws up bile from time to time. I know it's difficult to see them have bad poops and vomit but you are doing the right thing and we will all surround you with love and hugs and help guide you and Buzz back on track.

I believe it was Olesia and Jill that recommended to come off of the Creon to give his body time to get it out of his system as many of the symptoms sounded like overdosing on Creon. My suspicion is that when this all first started, he may have been dealing with SID. Follow Olesia and Jill's suggestion with the Creon dosing.

When you can, compare the cost of the powder enzymes to the cost of the Creon - if it's significantly less you might consider that. I know change can be scary but you're basically starting over with his EPI anyway. Most of us in the US use the powder. I really like it because the dosing is more precise.

Keep up your journal and keep posting here with updates on how he's doing and the test results when you get them. I know it's scary to not follow all of the advice from your vet, but in this case, the members here have way more experience managing EPI than most vets.

You're a great mum and Buzz and Woody are lucky to have you! Hugs
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 18 Mar 2019, 21:57

Hi Danielle,

You have received excellent advice so far.......I just want to encourage you to hang in there. Setbacks are scary and we can start to feel discouraged when they happen. But you are doing all the right things for Buzz and you will find out what is best for him. It's hard to see our pups not feeling well, but with all the information you receive from the tests and the input from your journal and the members here, you will be able to make good decisions. Buzz is very lucky to have you!

Keep us updated on how he is doing.

Barb

Toy_Story_PupBuzz
Pet name: Buzz

Post by Toy_Story_PupBuzz » 19 Mar 2019, 02:12

jilbert57 wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 10:31 Hi Danielle. I sent you an email just now.

When Buzz resumes the Creon it needs to be at 10,000 each meal, not 10,000 per day.

It was suggested to open 25,000 capsule, split to 5 piles, and give 2 piles per meal which would be 2- 5000 or total 10,000 per meal.

So has Buzz been Creon free all of Monday?

You have been in touch with Chemeyes about the B12 capsules is that correct? Or just the enzymes?

You are continuing the Tylan through these 2 days?

It would probably be a money saver to go with powdered enzymes.

Thanks for that Jill :) I haven't had a chance to respond yet but thanks for letting me know. Ah yep, my mistake!!

Buzz has been Creon free all of Monday and today and the Tylan has been continued. He has unfortunately been vomiting and has sloppy stools :(

Have been in touch with Chemeyes about the pancreatic enzymes but they don't stock the B12 capsules in Australia but I have been told Wonderlabs does, so will be looking into that aswell.

I'm definitely thinking the powdered enzymes is the way to go.
Danielle and Buzz from Australia.
Buzz was diagnosed with EPI when he was 2.9 years old after dropping 6kgs in what seemed like overnight.
His TLI score came back at 2.1 and his B12 levels were 124.
Current medication 7 creon tablets morning and night, 1/4 tsp Tylan powder morning and night, 1/2 Maxolon morning and night, Vitamin B12 injection once a month. Current weight is 19.9kg

Toy_Story_PupBuzz

Post by Toy_Story_PupBuzz » 19 Mar 2019, 02:14

Dizzy wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 12:26 Thanks for the add Jean.

Hi Danielle, thanks for getting in touch regarding our high strength pancreatic powder, we used this one with our GSD Dizzy and it suited her really well. As we know all EPI dogs are different so with anything new it can be a bit of trial and error in the beginning, but once you have got the dose sorted, it's usually pretty easy from there.

Keep us posted on how Buzz gets on when you put him back on his enzymes, fingers crossed it sorts his tummy out.

Suj x
Thanks again Suj for being so helpful last night!! I am keeping everything crossed :)
Buzz was diagnosed with EPI when he was 2.9 years old after dropping 6kgs in what seemed like overnight.
Current medication 7 creon tablets morning and night, 1/4 tsp Tylan powder morning and night, 1/2 Maxolon morning and night, Vitamin B12 injection once a month. Current weight is 19.9kg

Toy_Story_PupBuzz

Post by Toy_Story_PupBuzz » 19 Mar 2019, 02:20

Miss Maddie Moo wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 13:30 Hello wow thats a lot of Creon we suggest that the starting dose is 1 creon 10 to 1 cup of food...some dogs do need a larger dose may be 1 25 to 1 cup of food it does depend on the dog and the PH balance in there gut.With Creon its trail and error as to how to administer some do as you are doing and give 20 minutes before food some give with the food.
What food do you use.
I would increase the B12 injections too weekly.
Are you on the correct tylan dose ??
Are you making sure that he isn't eating anything without enzymes ?
That's what I've been hearing a lot of lately and am starting to feel really let down by my vet :( when he was on the 2 25,000 morning and night for the past 5 years we hardly had any issues but since bumping him up to the 5 morning and night and then 7 morning and night we have noticed a difference. Isn't it horrible that the one thing that's meant to help them can in fact do more harm than good if given in the wrong amount.

I have him on a brand called Nature's Goodness which is a grain free product with low fibre. He was having one cup dry food morning and night but then went off that so I switched him to 1 can wet food morning and night and he started eating again. He has recently gone to half a can of wet food with 3/4 cup dry food morning and night.

I can definitely start the B12 injections weekly if you think it will help? He is currently on 1/4 tsp Tylan morning and night, how do I know if that's the correct dose? And yes, I am very strict on him not having snacks even though I feel bad :(

Toy_Story_PupBuzz

Post by Toy_Story_PupBuzz » 19 Mar 2019, 02:29

Madelon wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 20:30 Hi Danielle - so glad to see you got on to the forum and contacted Chemeyes - Suj is a gem and will help you any way she can. Just to give you a bit of my story and hopefully give you some comfort - my boy started having bad poops last May/June because the food manufacturer changed the formula of his food. The poor boy had poops ranging from 4 to complete diarrhea for MONTHS - about 6-7 months to be exact while I tried to find the right food for him - he has a lot of food sensitivities so it was more difficult for us. The point being we hung in there and you can too. Doc also throws up bile from time to time. I know it's difficult to see them have bad poops and vomit but you are doing the right thing and we will all surround you with love and hugs and help guide you and Buzz back on track.

I believe it was Olesia and Jill that recommended to come off of the Creon to give his body time to get it out of his system as many of the symptoms sounded like overdosing on Creon. My suspicion is that when this all first started, he may have been dealing with SID. Follow Olesia and Jill's suggestion with the Creon dosing.

When you can, compare the cost of the powder enzymes to the cost of the Creon - if it's significantly less you might consider that. I know change can be scary but you're basically starting over with his EPI anyway. Most of us in the US use the powder. I really like it because the dosing is more precise.

Keep up your journal and keep posting here with updates on how he's doing and the test results when you get them. I know it's scary to not follow all of the advice from your vet, but in this case, the members here have way more experience managing EPI than most vets.

You're a great mum and Buzz and Woody are lucky to have you! Hugs

Awh thanks so much Madelon!! They really are my babies and it makes me feel horrible when I can't help them. I'm so sorry to hear Doc was going through that :( Hopefully he's a lot better now? Is there anything you do/adjust when he does throw up or have that constant diarrhea.

It sure was :) and Jill has been super helpful and it's been great waking up to her emails. I'm really hoping to see an improvement when I reintroduce the creon at smaller dosage. I was going to ask if I was to purchase the 100gms powder do you know roughly how long it would last? It works out to be about $150 with postage but if it's going to last a few months it's definitely worth spending out the initial cost instead of $58 a week like we have been.....but that was with the huge amount of enzymes we've been giving him.

I really appreciate finding this group and all the help I have received so far. I feel like my vet has let us down a lot and feel it's probably better to listen to the advice of those that have been dealing with epi and their beautiful furkids for a while.

Sadly Buzz hasn't been himself today. Has vomited twice so far and has had sloppy stools. Keeping everything crossed :)

Toy_Story_PupBuzz

Post by Toy_Story_PupBuzz » 19 Mar 2019, 02:32

Barb wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 21:57 Hi Danielle,

You have received excellent advice so far.......I just want to encourage you to hang in there. Setbacks are scary and we can start to feel discouraged when they happen. But you are doing all the right things for Buzz and you will find out what is best for him. It's hard to see our pups not feeling well, but with all the information you receive from the tests and the input from your journal and the members here, you will be able to make good decisions. Buzz is very lucky to have you!

Keep us updated on how he is doing.

Barb
Thanks so much Barb :) I will fight tooth and nail to help him as I know everyone else here would do the same for their beautiful furkids. It's really hard when the hubby keeps mentioning how much easier it would be if we didn't have him :( I wish he had the same love for our furkids as I do but Buzz isn't going anywhere and I will do my best to manage as best I can. This group has been great so far and I'm looking forward to hopefully getting back on track sooner rather than later.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 19 Mar 2019, 04:50

hi

trouble is, no enzymes just does not work

once EPI is evident, and diagnosed, the only way normally is that the pancreas steadily deteriorates, and the need for ejnzymes becomes imperative, Tylan will only work in conjunction with the rest of the daily regime, so my thoughts would be to start the enzymes again until you get the Chemeyes, if this is your choice , luckily it is already in Sydney, so its almost on its way

my girl struggled so I totally understand, and my thoughts are that maybe you were giving too much Creon, and some animals need it

let us know

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 19 Mar 2019, 09:07

Hi Danielle: I sent you an email yesterday for a link to the tylan dosing. I believe according to the weight (about 41 lbs) it says 1/8 teaspoon twice a day but recheck that. I can resend the link. Please let me know results from his labs. Did you happen to ask for the test specific to pancreatic lipase, the cPl?

Unfortunately a lot of vets are unfamiliar with EPI so quickly wing it with a patient. If you think your vet would be open to learning you could give him the link to EPI4Dogs or print out some info.

So has Buzz been vomiting his food all day or pileobile or combo?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Toy_Story_PupBuzz

Post by Toy_Story_PupBuzz » 19 Mar 2019, 20:30

Jean wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 04:50 hi

trouble is, no enzymes just does not work

once EPI is evident, and diagnosed, the only way normally is that the pancreas steadily deteriorates, and the need for ejnzymes becomes imperative, Tylan will only work in conjunction with the rest of the daily regime, so my thoughts would be to start the enzymes again until you get the Chemeyes, if this is your choice , luckily it is already in Sydney, so its almost on its way

my girl struggled so I totally understand, and my thoughts are that maybe you were giving too much Creon, and some animals need it

let us know

Jean
Hi Jean,

We've started back on the Creon today as per instructions from Olesia so am hoping we have a better outcome today than the last 2. I will definitely be ordering from Chemeyes, just need to wait until I get paid to be able to place the order.