BOREDOM

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
AvaLawrence2017
State: Ohio

BOREDOM

Post by AvaLawrence2017 » 21 Mar 2019, 08:37

Before diagnosis, Ava (our dog) loved stimulating treat toys (tricky treat ball, kong, starmark everlasting treat toys, etc.). Unfortunately now with the diagnosis she can no longer use them. I've gotten her nylabones for chewing and cleaning teeth and she will use them but they are not the same!
We exercise our dog regularly via walks, going to doggy day care, going to the dog park, playing with her, etc. but I feel like her mind is not stimulated enough (she is a rescue, we know she is part mastiff and we think the other part is german shepherd based on her look and demeanor). I know german shepherds require a lot of mental stimulation and they love it!
Does anyone have any recommendations for activities or toys WITHOUT FOOD that provide this type of stimulation??? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
We rescued our dog. Her name is Ava. She is half mastiff (they do not know what the father was: we are guessing partly german shepherd based on the way she looks and acts). She was diagnosed with EPI January 2019 at approximately 1 year 8 months old. She currently eats Purina Pro Plan Savor Adult Shredded Blend Chicken and Rice Formula Dry Dog Food. We currently have her on Epizyme 1 tsp with each meal.
Regular weight before EPI: 86-90 pounds (she hasn't had time to fully gain it back yet!)
We are located in the US.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: BOREDOM

Post by Madelon » 21 Mar 2019, 08:45

Hi there. There is a great group on FB called Canine Enrichment that will have lots of ideas. We play hide the toy a lot with Doc and make him find it - or we sometimes hide ourselves. Once your dog is stable - weight gain and good, solid poops for a few months you can try some of the treat recipes on our website . https://epi4dogs.com/treats/

My boy can't tolerate anything but his enzymed kibble so I make kibble jerky - I grind the kibble into a fine powder in a blender, mix with the usual amount of water and enzymes then use a jerky tool and make thin jerky strips and dehydrate at 120degrees for 7 hours (because I use more water than most it takes longer to dry out and get crunchy). Whatever you try keep a detailed log and watch the poops
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

AvaLawrence2017
State: Ohio

Post by AvaLawrence2017 » 21 Mar 2019, 08:52

Thank you so much for the information!!!!
We rescued our dog. Her name is Ava. She is half mastiff (they do not know what the father was: we are guessing partly german shepherd based on the way she looks and acts). She was diagnosed with EPI January 2019 at approximately 1 year 8 months old. She currently eats Purina Pro Plan Savor Adult Shredded Blend Chicken and Rice Formula Dry Dog Food. We currently have her on Epizyme 1 tsp with each meal.
Regular weight before EPI: 86-90 pounds (she hasn't had time to fully gain it back yet!)
We are located in the US.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 21 Mar 2019, 10:46

Maddie loved to find and rescue her favorite toy from anywhere we hid it in the house .
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 21 Mar 2019, 13:27

We also play 'Hide it." I make Kolby sit while I hide a ball of his choosing somewhere in the house. He takes off on the hunt, which is usually over in a very short time, and brings the ball back to clapping and cheering. The grandkids love playing this with him.

He also loves to deliver things. He gets the newspaper in the morning and brings it in to us and we let him bring in the mail and give it to whoever didn't take him out to get it. We sometimes have to make him practice "letting it go" by having him pass things from one person to the other. Otherwise, he will carry it around for quite a while or want us to chase him for it.

Barb

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 21 Mar 2019, 16:38

i feel for you, try chasing ice cubes, and stuff a kong with enzymed food
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 21 Mar 2019, 20:41

I forgot to add that we put very small amounts of enzymed kibble into ice cube trays to be frozen and used as rewards or treats.....Kolby likes the crunch of the frozen kibble. If you do this, you have to always be alert for SID ...... some dogs have no problem with this method, but some pups do, so keep your eye out for change in poos.

Barb