BLOAT----GDV familiarize yourself with the symptoms again

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

BLOAT----GDV familiarize yourself with the symptoms again

Post by Paige's Guardian » 25 Mar 2019, 11:39

Just a post to keep this always on our mind.

I came home yesterday afternoon from being out of town and noticed that my non-EPI Chocolate Lab was literally bloated. He was otherwise acting fine except maybe moving a little slow. Of course, I was moving around the house getting things out of the car. The other dogs were bugging me for "snacks" and even he ate snacks albeit slow for him which I thought was odd.

I kept brushing it off but the more I looked at him the more I got worried. About 20 minutes later, I am touching his stomach and off to the Urgent care vet. I thought maybe he ate something, a toy or whatever since I was out of town. While waiting for the Urgent care vet and an xray, IT HIT ME LIKE A TON OF BRICKS......

He has bloat. He was panting which is usual at the vet and it's warm in Tucson but he would not sit down when I asked him to sit. I really took a good look at him and WOW, thought he has bloated.

We left the Urgent care immediately for our Vet ER clinic. I apologized politely. I called the vet ER on the way and said he has bloated. When we got there, they took him back right away. YEP...he bloated and had partial torsion.

Now, this is where it gets interesting.......the extremely embarrassed and pissed off Vet tells me they have NO oxygen. So, they cannot do surgery. I kept my head.....they released some air and off we went to the ER across town. They were ready for him...

He had surgery last night and did not have any organ damage. His blood work is good. He is not a happy guy but he is alive and alert which I am grateful for considering the poor guy was at 3 vet clinics yesterday just to find one that could do the surgery.

Please keep this guy in your prayers. And, read the BLOAT section on the website to familiarize yourself with the signs and symptoms.

Conny
Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Re: BLOAT----GDV familiarize yourself with the symptoms again

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 25 Mar 2019, 13:02

So sorry you had to go through this and what a day you had rushing from vet to vet but glad your furbaby is recovering , EPI dogs are more prone to this thank you for sharing your story.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 25 Mar 2019, 13:43

Blimee Conny

What a fright you have had, and kept your cool,

One of our staff dog had this , and so its fresh in our minds

Your little guy is in all of our minds

Jx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Mar 2019, 15:20

Thank you for the reminder Conny. What an awful experience! Keeping you in my thoughts.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 25 Mar 2019, 16:23

Hi Conny,

I am so glad your pup is ok and is recovering. We went through this a little over a year and a half ago with Kolby. It is very scary. You were so fortunate to be there and to recognize the symptoms. It is interesting how different your pup's symptoms were from Kolby's. His symptoms were dramatic and came on suddenly...... one minute he was fine and the next, he was walking around completely hunched over, trying to throw up, but unable.

I cannot believe you went to three different places before you found someone to help him. I don't think Kolby would have made it.

I am so glad he is recovering. Did they tack his tummy? You and he are in our thoughts for sure. Kolby made a complete recovery. I am sure your guy will, too. Try to relax. You have been through an ordeal. Hugs.

Barb

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 25 Mar 2019, 18:39

thanks Barb, I remember it well, and cant believe it that long ago

i still remember my vet waiting for a bloat dog to arrive at the clinic , coffee in one hand, totally calm as ever, the dog was fine

jeanxxxx,
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 25 Mar 2019, 23:26

Wow, what a roller coaster ride you had. So glad it turned out as well as it did.
Good for you to recognize what was happening.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

Post by Paige's Guardian » 27 Mar 2019, 07:36

Hi All,

He came home yesterday lunch time and vet was hoping getting him home would get him to eat. It has not worked. To have my big chocolate lab not eat is a bit distressing. He is on Fentanyl and I looked up the side effects that includes no appetite. I am thinking it could be the next weight loss drug if it can make a lab not want to eat. He is a cheese addict and even cheese did not get him excited to eat.

I am dropping his pills down but he is clenching which he would never do. I have dropped a few small balls of wet food at the back of his mouth and waited until he swallowed. I figured he needed something in his stomach with the pills.

Any advice to get him to eat or is it still too early?
Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 27 Mar 2019, 08:00

I'm sorry he's not eating. I know with a food driven dog that must be distressing!
How long will he be on the meds? Is he at least drinking water to stay hydrated?
A very different scenario for sure, but when my girl was first diagnosed with EPI and wouldn't eat I hand fed her from a fork, I think because she thought I was giving her something she wouldn't normally get she ate some. So maybe feeding off a fork or a dinner plate might get his interest. Wish I was more help, glad he's home.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

worriedparents

Post by worriedparents » 27 Mar 2019, 12:42

That sounds so scary. Getting a 'giant' breed dog, bloat has been one of our biggest fears. Glad you could get him in to the (various) vets quickly and he's home now. Finn can be a very picky eater and goes off his food so easily. He's also a cheese addict, and it's so frustrating when he will even turn that down. With Finn, when he gets sick he stops eating the food he was eating last. He looks at it like it in particular was the problem, so we have to start with something new or something that's been out of rotation for awhile. We also feed him people food (turkey etc) so if I start eating it, he will get a little more interested because it must be good. I think that's the catch-22 of a lot of pain meds, they are in pain and really don't want to eat because of that, but the pain meds also reduce appetite. Also frustrating. I hope he starts eating for you soon.
Adopted Finn 4 years ago. He's 7 maybe 8 years old? Reoccurring diarrhea, picky eater and loss of appetite from day 1. Low B12 causing hind-end weakness in July 2017. B12 injections didn't help his appetite, diarrhea or energy like we thought they should have. I found this wonderful forum and learned about EPI, which he doesn’t have, and SIBO/SID which he does have. On Tylosin and B12 pills with intrinsic factor long-term. Blood clot in his left femoral artery in July 2018, which Clopidogrel and Xareltro helped clear up, also long-term. Latest problems since fall 2018 are food sensitivities and (misdiagnosed) UTI causing incontinence.