Sassy says HI and Thank You!!!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
RichardB
State: California
Pet name: Sassy
My name: Richard

Re: Sassy says HI and Thank You!!!

Post by RichardB » 07 Apr 2019, 13:53

Everything looks back to normal or even better. Yesterday it was soft due to getting into the other food the day before, so there was a one day setback.

Thanks,
Richard

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 Apr 2019, 16:45

Glad things are back to normal. You are doing an amazing job at managing Sassy's EPI - congratulations!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

RichardB

Post by RichardB » 08 Apr 2019, 11:57

"Things" are looking better than ever since she started with EPI. Still can't post pics here and am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Richard and Sassy

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 08 Apr 2019, 13:12

Great news about the poop what we aim for is about 2-3 on the poop chart:
https://epi4dogs.com/poop-chart/
No idea about the pictures sorry.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

RichardB

Post by RichardB » 08 Apr 2019, 15:53

We have 2 and 3 on the poop chart! Don't need the shovel to scoop it up, just the poop rake and nothing left on the ground other than a little moisture. She still chows down like she's starving, finishing a 2 cup meal in about 4 minutes. Still giving 6 heaping cups a day of the Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato, 2 cups 3 times a day, with a "Little" heaping teaspoon of enzyme per cup, 2-B12 in the morning only and 1/2 teaspoon of Slippery Elm in the morning and evening.
I'm a little more concerned about my boy since his appetite has not been good at times. He didn't eat any of his morning food so far. Gonna look at switching him from chicken, rice and vegi to maybe Costco Beef and Sweet Potato, hoping he'll like it more. They both were raised on Taste of the Wild Puppy Venison and Bison before I started changing them over to Costco brand recently. They were also free fed, so this is a big change for him. She isn't having a problem with it because she's so hungry still.
Do all EPI dogs eat like they're starving? How long does that last?

Thanks,
Richard and Sassy

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 08 Apr 2019, 23:06

It might take her a little while for her ravenous behavior to subside. Her body is healing--long before you knew she had EPI, it was slowly happening. So it has been going on for a while, her body not getting the nutrients she needs. And it also depends on the dog, some are just more food driven than others. I practically have to beg my girl to eat.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 09 Apr 2019, 03:49

Yes Maddie eventually started to show reluctance to eat her 3rd meal cant remember the time period but once she was back to her goal weight i gradually started to reduce the amount in her midday feed by half a cup per week so i tapered it down gradually i didn't want an overweight dog.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 09 Apr 2019, 13:38

Sassy is beautiful!! Thank you for the pic.

Barb

RichardB

Post by RichardB » 10 Apr 2019, 13:15

Hi All,
I was really sick yesterday and last night so other than feeding Sassy I didn't do much of anything else. My wife noticed today that her ribs don't show like they used to, and I'm noticing her hip bones are not sticking out like they were. I'll weigh her in a couple more days, but I know she's doing really well, poops and all!!! She had already gained a pound about a week ago.
To Elisabeth, I'm a little surprised by her appetite since she was free fed before I started the enzymes and didn't appear to eat that much more; but then again, considering it was going right through her, she probably was and I wasn't noticing. Thinking out loud here.
She's such a good girl! She knows now not to eat her brothers food and walks by it without trying. Don't get me wrong, if I wasn't there I think it would be gone in a heartbeat, and I don't leave it out to tempt her. But I feed them at the same time in different spots, she always finishes first in about 4 minutes and could eat his as she did last week, but now she walks past it and doesn't try.

Thanks to All!!!
Richard and Sassy

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 10 Apr 2019, 13:56

Richard
My girl was free fed before EPI as well. As she was spiraling down with her EPI symptoms, she was eating more and more, but it took us a while before we figured it out. There were several people in the house topping off her bowl as needed. Before the onset, she never overate so we never had to measure or worry. Once she started to break into the pantry and steal food we knew something was seriously wrong. That coupled with the other symptoms of cow patty poop and she also had the dreaded anal leakage (she left an oily residue everywhere she went.) Truly terrible and that is what sent me back to the vet for the 3rd time in desperation. Thankfully for us we saw the senior vet in the practice and he tested for EPI.
So the point to my overlong story is she was probably eating more than you thought at the time. If she is able to pass her brother's bowl by and not eat, things are improving. At the ravenous height of untreated EPI, she would have gone after it even if she wanted to obey you.

Sorry you weren't well yesterday, hope you are on the mend.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.