Sassy says HI and Thank You!!!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: Sassy says HI and Thank You!!!

Post by Barb » 19 May 2019, 19:33

Good catch on the TLI score, Lis. No need to spend all that money.

Yes, the wild life is a challenge. Good for your pups that they didn't hurt the babies. We have a resident duck here who insists on laying her eggs and nesting for 27 days in our yard. Keeping Kolby away from the nest is always nerve wracking, but strangely, he isn't the predator that often gets her eggs. It's a nocturnal one we never see. Good luck.

Barb

RichardB
State: California
Pet name: Sassy
My name: Richard

Post by RichardB » 23 May 2019, 11:11

Hi All,
Everything is going well. But I do have a question. After 2 orders of 500G's I opened my first order of 1 Kilo from Diane 2 days ago and have noticed it takes about 3 - 4 tablespoons of warm water to get the same consistency I used to get with 2 tablespoons. With 2 tablespoons of warm water and 2 teaspoons of enzyme this batch is a lot thicker than the other 2 batches I got. I did just send an email to Diane and let them know. Was wondering if maybe they packaged 8X in a 6X package? Have any of you run into this? So I'm now using 3 - 4 tablespoons of warm water per 2 teaspoons of enzyme.
I'm still giving her a duck jerky after every meal as a treat and not seeing any problems with that!!!

Thanks All!!!
Richard and Sassy

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 23 May 2019, 11:30

Hi and thank you for sharing your findings. Please let us know what Diane says. Not sure the 8x would be thicker or not.🤔
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

RichardB

Post by RichardB » 23 May 2019, 15:28

Diane responded back with:

The differences depend on how much lactose is in the blend to dilute it to potency. Iti s an organic material and sometimes it is fluffier, heavier, lighter or darker. This is a normal change in the material. We only use one supplier to keep things as consitant as we can.

Things should be fine and the dogs do not usually notice. Sometimes they do notice a difference and we will need to adjust the dose but most times they will do just fine.

If you have the lot number I will log in on our sheet.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 23 May 2019, 16:11

Thank you for posting Diane's answer. Good information to have.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 23 May 2019, 22:20

Yes thanks for posting Diane's response - love learning something new all the time on this forum.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 25 May 2019, 08:27

Great information from Diane. Thank you for noticing and posting this.

Barb

RichardB

Post by RichardB » 06 Jun 2019, 12:37

All is still well with Sassy. For the past couple days I cut back on her morning meal to 1 cup because it was taking her forever to finish 2 cups. So I'm thinking she's not that hungry or she would finish it quicker. Her brother is acting the same way. I feed her 2 cups in the evening which she usually finishes.
Is there any problem with putting her evening food (kibble mixed with enzyme mixed with warm water) on the counter over night if she doesn't finish it and giving it to her in the morning? I did this one night recently.
Sassy ate the one cup with 1 tsp of enzyme, B12 and slippery elm this morning. I am holding it for her and spoon feeding her about half way through so she will finish and I can get on with my day.
Still taking care of my 84 YO neighbor and fly out to NJ Sunday for 2 weeks to take care of my 84 YO Mom with stage 4 cancer who is responding to immuno-therapy for the past year now. So the wife will have the duty of taking care of everything around here for a couple weeks. She'll have her hands full since she also works full time too. At least I'm retired!!!

Have a great day all!
Richard and Sassy

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 06 Jun 2019, 13:21

Once the enzyme is mixed with the food it activates the enzyme and will only last roughly an hour
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 08 Jun 2019, 09:42

Glad to hear things are still going well. Yes you can put the enzymed food in the refridgerator overnight - in the morning you will need to let it come back to room temperature - most do it by putting the container of food in some warm water - just do not microwave it. You will need to watch the poops carefully - some EPI dogs do just fine with this and others don't. It's trial and error as usual with EPI. Let us know if you try it and how it goes.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.