Sassy says HI and Thank You!!!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
RichardB
State: California
Pet name: Sassy
My name: Richard

Re: Sassy says HI and Thank You!!!

Post by RichardB » 31 Mar 2019, 21:14

Does SID result in continuing cow pies? Can they have SID without the cow pies?

Thanks,
Richard

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 31 Mar 2019, 22:14

Yes. Alot of the time at diagnosis the vet will wait to see if the enzymes firm up the poop in a week or so. If not, metro or preferably Tylan will be given for 45 days, 2 times a day to rid of SID.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

RichardB

Post by RichardB » 01 Apr 2019, 10:17

You All are helping a lot more than my vet is. There was no instruction from her on anything. She might have been offended by my ordering the enzyme from Diane and the B12 from Wonderlab, I don't know. Other than her mentioning EPI and doing the blood work while charging me $329 for it, she offered no other help or even suggestions. I have a tendency to be too loyal at times. She's been my vet for about 25 years.

Thanks EPI4dogs!!!
Richard

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 01 Apr 2019, 15:23

if she is offended then its a shame

why dont you share with her some information from this website, you can print anything off

all of our recommendations are from personal experiences as none of us are medically qualified

we come up through the University of life !

however, the research is very well backed by some of the big guns in veternarian science, both in US and Uk, indeed the man who created the EPI cTLI test, David Williams, is very much in touch with our founder Olesia when necessary, and I would like to mention he was at Liverpool University UK when this happened in the 80's, and as you may be aware its where I am from, he was also a colleague of my vet

please share with her, she may not know

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

RichardB

Post by RichardB » 01 Apr 2019, 21:27

They said they only see maybe 2 cases of this a year. I had adopted a male about 10 years ago that had anal fistulas, talk about an expensive heartbreak!!! I was taking him to UC Davis for what I thought would be one of the best places in the world, and was greatly disappointed in them. I did finally get the anal fistulas under control when he developed some kind of paralysis that could not be cured. What a regal, handsome good boy he was, he didn't deserve what life threw at him, still brings tears to my eyes.
On a happier note!!! Sassy is still doing great!!! And both are adjusting to the new eating schedule. He, Buddy was the problem, but he's eating more now and adjusting. Sassy is fine and her poops are good; not the same as Buddies, but no where near cow pies! She's eating twice as much as her brother and pooping a lot more too. Maybe he's processing it better than her. Do you notice that with your dogs? Is your EPI dog stool ever the same as your non-EPI dog, or what she did before EPI?

Thanks,
Richard

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 01 Apr 2019, 22:34

She could be pooping more for a couple of reasons.....
First you are feeding her more, so that will increase output.
Then you have a body that's recovering, before she was diagnosed she was literally starving, so it takes a little while for her body to catch back up.
The other thing is sometimes you can see lots of poop or poop that isn't quite right if the food isn't quite right. I wouldn't change her food right now, she seems to be doing well. But I would keep it in the back of my mind that a change might need to happen in the future if things don't settle in the way they need to.
On a side note, there are a lot of vets that don't know much about EPI. The best ones aren't necessarily the ones that already know it all, but rather the ones that are willing to learn with you.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 01 Apr 2019, 22:50

So glad to hear Sassy is doing well. Yes they can have SID without the cow pies. We have a saying, "if you've met one EPI dog, then you've met ONE EPI dog" - they are all different and present symptoms of EPI and SID differently. Some dogs will only have burping, some will have gas, some will throw up, some have cow pies, and some have all of the symptoms. Unfortunately there is no "test" for SID and it's diagnosed based on symptoms.

As for the poops, as Elisabeth said there are a few possibilities for more output. If the poops are good then I wouldn't worry about it too much. My dogs (both EPI and non-EPI) will poop more based on activity and weather - the summer when it's hot and they are more active they will typically poop more than during the non-active winter.

Be sure you're keeping a log of everything and I highly recommend pictures of poop :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

RichardB

Post by RichardB » 02 Apr 2019, 11:14

Thanks for the replies. I got a little lazy yesterday with my log and pics. Nothing is changing in what I'm giving her 3 times a day, so I just noted same. I got busy with things around the house so I didn't get any pics. But I do have pics of almost every other poop since starting the enzymes and a few from before. We had some more rain yesterday and today, so that doesn't help the poop or the pics. Otherwise all is well! I don't think anyone expected good results as fast as they happened. You prepared me to be prepared when the final diagnosis came in. Thank You!

Richard

RichardB

Post by RichardB » 02 Apr 2019, 17:22

Sassy's latest Poop! Created 2:PM, April 2, 2019!
Sassy's latest Poop! Created 2:PM, April 2, 2019!
IMG_1206.JPG (3.68 MiB) Viewed 4360 times
Trying to attach a pic or her latest Poop as of 2:PM today. Not sure how or if this will work.

RichardB

Post by RichardB » 02 Apr 2019, 17:24

Looks like it worked! Is that a face only a Mother would love?