It's been awhile.

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
charade539
State: Kentucky

It's been awhile.

Post by charade539 » 28 Mar 2019, 12:12

Hey guys. It's Alyssa. I dunno if any of you remember me. Years ago I was on here with my shepherd Vito. A lot has happened since then and I'm sorry I kinda faded out of existence.

I'm not here for myself this time, but for a friend who has a cat that may or may not have EPI. While I'm super familiar with EPI in dogs I'm uncertain if the symptoms are different in cats, so I was hoping there might be someone here to point us in the right direction.

I really missed all of you, I hope everyone is doing well. <3 Again, I'm sorry I vanished. I don't wanna get all dramatic so I'll just leave it at that. Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: It's been awhile.

Post by Jean » 28 Mar 2019, 14:29

Oh my word

Alyssa, I certainly do remember you, did you have another dog, Lizzie

was it you that made this song up

(To the tune of "I've Got No Strings" from Pinnoccio)

I’ve got no ribs

They don't stick out

To make mom sad

Or make me pout!

I did have ribs

But now you see,

There are no ribs on me!

I’ve got no ribs so I have fun

I’m not hungry, I've got a bum!

I'll wag my tail, and dance with glee,

There ain't no ribs on me! Whee!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i kept this and loved it

what are the symptoms of the cat and yes we can help, I had an EPI cat and one of our members has a current EPI cat

jeanx

--
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

charade539

Post by charade539 » 28 Mar 2019, 16:23

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have her anymore either. She had kidney failure about 6 months after I lost Vito. After that I...kinda went insane for a bit. I have a mastiff mix now, he's perfectly healthy save his seasonal allergies but benadryl clears that up just fine.

Right now from what I've been told the weirdest part of it is half the time his poops are perfectly fine and half the time they're pure liquid. They're testing for EPI and I told him I'd ask you guys and if it is EPI I'd put him in touch with EnzymeDiane and get him on here for support because I remember how amazing you all were with me and Vito.

And yeah! I remember making that song. =) I'm glad you're still enjoying it!

EDIT: Atlas, the kitty in question, just got news that he's not eating right and just vomited, too.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 28 Mar 2019, 20:27

Hello, Allysa. It is good to hear from you. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Vito and Lizzie. It is so hard letting them go. I'm glad to hear you have brought a new pup into your family. It is also very kind of you to help someone else who might be dealing with EPI. Keep us posted on the results of the test.

Barb

charade539

Post by charade539 » 29 Mar 2019, 14:09

So I've got another update. Atlas does not have EPI, and the current guess is possibly IBS. His other cat is also experiencing issues, he's been to the vet and xrayed and all but he's not pooping and neither of them wanna eat. I'm finding it really strange that both would get gut problems at the same time but as far as I know he takes extremely good care of them and they're not exposed to anything that could be bad for them.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 29 Mar 2019, 18:17

Just a thought did they rule out pancreatitis?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Sparkle Tangerine
Pet name: Montgomery

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 29 Mar 2019, 19:19

I've got the EPI moggy, and have dealt with pancreatitis in other cats. There is a blood test available for that, and its easily treatable. Its not caused by the same thing that causes it in dogs, but it does about the same thing. The main thing is to keep the cats hydrated (do you know how to do the pinch test?) and fed. If it is pancreatitis, your friend's veterinarian my prescribe a pain-killer and something to settle the stomach, and a bland diet. It is very painful and left untreated, it can begin to cause other damage.
Montgomery was born 21 March 2012. He is a DSH orange tabby and white. Montgomery eats RCFHN Spayed/Neutered Kitten dry food and Royal Canin Ultra Light wet food. He is a catnip junkie who loves paper bags and his stuffed mouse, Ignatz. His Pank-Aid is put into capsules each day as he gets mouth ulcers if it is mixed into his food. He gets two size zero capsules with each meal and eats six times each day. He gets .5ml Ovol twice a day for his gas. He is an enormous 3.08kg and strong enough to give his veterinarian a hard time. He is smart as a whip, has the loudest purr in the universe, and is so, so loved.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 30 Mar 2019, 22:48

I too was wondering about IBD, Pancreatitis or food sensitivities. I hope you're able to get things figured out quickly.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

charade539

Post by charade539 » 11 Apr 2019, 09:06

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been getting updates and trying to help him out as best I can and my brain is all over the place!

Okay, updates:
Atlas, the one we're concerned about who might have IBD, fluxuates with the quality of his poops. Some will be fine, then pure liquid, then fine again. He's on meds now and seems to at least be feeling better. For awhile after the vet visit both cats didn't want to eat but they seem to finally have an appetite again. And of course the vet is recommending Royal Canin, which is insanely expensive...if anyone has any alternatives in mind let me know and I'll pass it on.

Grimmy, the constipated one, seems to be over his constipation. He's acting normal, pooping normal, so concern is low.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 11 Apr 2019, 10:04

Is the vet saying it's IBD? Are they recommending Royal Canin hydrozed food? If it is IBD then unfortunately it will require a prescription hydrolyzed food. I'm not sure about with cats, but I know with dogs there are only a few truly hydrolyzed foods, Royal Canin being one of them.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.