DOG FOOD

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: DOG FOOD

Post by Madelon » 03 Apr 2019, 20:41

When Doc was first diagnosed, my vet put him on prescription food. It's what the vets are taught to do. I switched after reading about food on this website. Then a few months ago, after his food that he had been on changed the formula, I thought what the heck I'll try the prescription food - it was HORRIBLE - pure diarrhea. HOWEVER, every EPI dog is different and there have been some that absolutely needed the prescription food and especially if there is another medical condition. So, you just never know until you try something. The food we are currently using I was hesitant to try because of his food sensitivities but I was desperate and low and behold he's had the best poops ever! Just buy small bags and give it a full week or two (as long as it's not pure diarrhea) before deciding if it doesn't work.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Bri S
State: Washington
Pet name: Opal

Post by Bri S » 04 Apr 2019, 11:12

Hi there!

Thought that I might throw in my two cents in here on the food types. My corgi Opal was very underweight as a result of her EPI diagnosis and it was really hard getting her on a food that worked. For months following her diagnosis she ate Hill's Prescription Diet i/d Digestive Care Chicken Flavor Dry Dog Food. Sometimes wee would give her a small amount of the Hills Chicken Flavor i/d wet food on top of it to entice her. Due to her being under weight; we stayed away from the low fat foods as she needed more crude fat % and higher levels of protein. We are currently transitioning her to something that is less expensive, easier to access, and grain free. Hoping that her tummy will process the food better (she was rather gas-y as of recently due to the Hills food that had worked well for so long. I would recommend the Hills food none the less as it got her stabilized. The new food that we are transitioning her to is from Petco called WholeHearted Grain Free Healthy Benefits Easy Digestion Potato and Egg Product Recipe Dry Dog Food.

So far so good with the transition that we are moving her VERY slowly to the new food. All EPI dogs like everyone has said - are different. So don't be discouraged in the trail and error you might encounter. I hope you find whatever works for your pup too :)
My name is Bri and I have a Corgi named Opal who was born on 09/05/17. We live in Washington State and Opal was diagnosed with EPI in September of 2018 shortly after she turned 1 year old. Opal currently takes the following daily: Pancreapowder Plus 1/16 TSP 3x day - Proviable DC Capsule Probiotic 1x day - WonderLabs Slippery Elm Prebiotic 1/16 TSP 1x day - WonderLabs B12 w/Intrinsict Factor 1x day - Tylan antibiotic 1/16 TSP 2x day - Eats Hills Prescription Diet Dog Food / Dry Kibble / Low Fat i/d 3 x day 3/4 cup

RichardB
State: California
Pet name: Sassy
My name: Richard

Post by RichardB » 04 Apr 2019, 12:54

2 more cents here. I'm also new to this site and EPI. But so far if you listen to what these people have to say and how to do it, you and your pet will benefit. A week ago I switched my Sassy cold turkey over to Costco's Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato at the same time on the same day I started her on the enzyme and got confirmation of EPI. She had been eating the Costco Chicken and Rice food before that and I changed because I wanted to get her on a grain free diet I could afford, that I could trust that was good for her. The Costco brands are made by Diamond who makes many brands including the Taste of the Wild my dogs were raised on prior to the switch. My Sassy is a 15 month old German Shepherd. She appears to be doing well a week into this so far. Just wanted to also put a Name on what I'm feeding and why rather than a general description that leaves the decision up to you to choose. She still eats like she's starving! She'll finish two cups of food in about 3-4 minutes. I feed her 3 times a day about 5 hours apart. She's never had gas or any other tummy problems that I know of other than the cow pies before starting the enzymes.

Hope this helps,
Richard