After 4 years, can not get poop regulated again

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
bear2015
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: bear

After 4 years, can not get poop regulated again

Post by bear2015 » 08 Apr 2019, 20:18

I cannot get Bear's poop under control for the last 2 weeks. The only thing that has happened/changed in the last 2 weeks is we had to put his buddy/playmate to sleep due to age and cancer. Bear is in the 2019 calendar with his buddy, Mannie (black lab).

I know Bear misses Mannie. Can that affect him? Can the stress affect his EPI?

Thanks for any help!! Marilyn

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: After 4 years, can not get poop regulated again

Post by Barb » 08 Apr 2019, 21:43

Dear Marilyn,

I am very sorry for your loss of Mannie. It is never easy to let our animals go, even when we know it is the right thing to do.

Yes, in my opinion and in my experience, a stressful situation, including a loss, can trigger a setback in our dogs with EPI. Of course, as we always say, every dog is different and each will respond in different ways.

I often have to travel to see or take care of grandchildren. My husband holds down the fort here at home. I prepare each day's enzymes, food, and meds for Kolby (our German Shepherd) so that nothing changes in what he eats, his B12, or his antibiotics. But invariably while I am gone, he will react in some way. This last time, he decided not to eat at the normal times, leaving some or all of his food until later, or not finishing it at all. Hubby helped out by giving him a few bites by hand to get him started, something we haven't done in a long time.......but he seemed to need the extra care while I was gone. Sometimes his poos will go south or they will alternate between being OK and being mushy. Usually, when I get back, he will return to normal, but it might take a couple of days.

Your Bear has had a significant loss, so it might take him some time to recover. He may need extra cuddles or whatever he enjoys. Kolby always wants extra time playing with his ball with me when I return. Bear has lost his playing buddy, so this may take more time.

All this being said, make sure that there is nothing physical going on that is affecting Bear. Is his B12 level up and where it should be? Is it possible that SID has crept in and he needs antibiotics? It might be good to keep your log/journal again and see if there is anything that you notice. The journal may help you to see when Bear has good days, too. Take your time. You are grieving, too, and sometimes our dogs reflect our moods and energy. Be gentle with yourselves.

Let us know how he...and you.....are doing.

Barb

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 08 Apr 2019, 22:56

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Barb said it all beautifully.
I'm sure Bear is feeling stressed as he tries to figure out what has happened with his buddy. I too would make sure you are giving B12 either by injection or pills to address that.
If things don't begin to improve I might make a visit to the vet just to make sure there isn't something else going on. But it does seem connected to the loss of his buddy.
Take care of yourselves, its a difficult time <3
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 09 Apr 2019, 03:56

So sorry for your loss .
Yes some dogs get stressed when they loose their pals they also can pick up on your grief we lost Otto when Maddie was 5 years into EPI i really had to work hard to be up beat as it didn't want my sorrow to affect her i had already experienced how devastating it was for one of my previous dogs to loose a pal and didn't want my sorrow affecting her.
Also sometimes as the dogs age we need to tweak the enzymes up a notch i had to increase Maddie several times over the period so you may want to try an increase of 1/8 th of a teaspoon and see if this helps.

Ann
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 09 Apr 2019, 08:16

Good call Ann, I totally forgot about that as a possibility. I too had to tweak my girl's enzymes up a bit after she turned 8 due to return of symptoms. Now all is well again.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Apr 2019, 09:40

Sorry to hear you lost a pup. That for sure is stress on all. I would look into the enzyme tweak, B12, and other suggestions and if those don't work I would try slippery elm powder 2 times a day. It not only helps SID and acid reflux but soothes the tummy if it is upset.

https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.