Reflux

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Btekrony
State: Nebraska

Reflux

Post by Btekrony » 09 Apr 2019, 04:49

Is acid reflux caused by too much enzymes, too little enzymes, or all of the above? I currently give George 1 tsp of Pantenex with 2 cups of food. I am having to put Parmesan cheese on it in order to get him to eat.
George was diagnosed with EPI in May of 2018. He eats 2 cups, twice a day of Purina Pro-Plan Lamb for Sensitive Skin and Stomach. He gets 1 tsp of Pantenex per meal and food is incubated for 30 mins. He also gets 2 B12 capsules with intrinsic factor from Wonderlabs and a probiotic.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Re: Reflux

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 09 Apr 2019, 07:31

Can be a lots of reasons, food ,to little or to much enzyme the gut flora may be out of balance going to long without food you may want to try some slippery elm and see if that works before trying an acid reducer:
https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 09 Apr 2019, 08:14

Some people also find long stretches between meals cause trouble, so if it's happening in the stretch between dinner and breakfast the next day, some give a little "snack" before bed.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Apr 2019, 10:29

Hi.
The starting ratio for enzymes to dry food is 1 level teaspoon per 1 cup of dry kibble .

You say you feed 1 teaspoon for 2 c dry food?

You may need to increase the enzymes to meet the amount of food.

Just a thought.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 09 Apr 2019, 13:12

To clarify what Jill has said the starting dose is 1tsp for 6 x enzymes it will depend on the strength of the enzyme i think Pantex goes up to 10x so there may be a different staring point ...having never used it i cant comment.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Apr 2019, 18:37

Gosh my mistake. Good catch. I just looked up Pantenex and it is 10x. It says add 3/4 to 1 teaspoon to food but I don't see where it says how much food..
Makes sense to use less enzyme.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 14 Apr 2019, 21:13

Also, we now know that EPI dogs have more bile acid than "normal dogs". So, they have more bile acid to start with and add to that too long in between meals, etc. and then you have a problem with acid reflux. Some vets prescribe an acid reducer which helps, others have been able to keep it at bay by reducing time between meals overnight. Have you noticed a pattern of when it happens?
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

Post by Paige's Guardian » 24 Apr 2019, 06:59

My Dane has malabsorption, chronic pancreatitis and SID. She cannot go long stretches between meals. She doesn't always make it until I get home from work.

We have tried many things over the years to reduce reflux but she gets nausea between meals and will vomit bile. We have tried pepcid 2x/day and still needed Cernia intermittently. Now, the vets have recommended omeprazole which seems to be working so far. I give it to her on my work days. When I am not working, I feed her mid-day which works well.
Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food