new here, talking about my dog

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
shirleyfang
Pet name: Caesar

Re: new here, talking about my dog

Post by shirleyfang » 11 Apr 2019, 06:43

Jean wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 03:59 Do you have the results of the tests run to establish EPI

this is what it says on the USA University site

In dogs, values below 2.5 µg/L are diagnostic for EPI. Values between 3.5 and 5.7 µg/L are rarely if ever associated with signs of EPI but may reflect subclinical pancreatic disease such as subtotal pancreatic acinar cell destruction secondary to on-going immune-mediated lymphocytic pancreatitis. Progression of the disease in such patients may ultimately lead to EPI. Values between 2.5 and 3.5 µg/L are sometimes (but rarely) associated with clinical signs due to EPI. In these cases the TLI assay should be repeated after one month paying particular attention to ensuring that food is withheld for 8 to 12 hours before the blood sample is collected.

so was this test 12 hours fasted ?

the test results will show that laboratory's parametors

let us know what it says, it will say the result and whether it shows EPI , did the vets tell you it was EPI

3.7 is so very close to the positive , and as this states a repeat test should be done, after maybe month

also you are seeing an improvement since November of 2018, if it were me, I would continue with the enzymes

jEAN
This is the result of last November's test.

My veterinarian told me that based on this test result and considering that Caesar is a German shepherd dog. It may be EPI.

There is very little research data on EPI in China. My veterinarian just advised us to eat pancreatic enzym, and I looked for other information on epi4dogs.

Now I'm going to test TLI again with Caesar in June.

(My English is not very good, there will be some grammar problems, please forgive me.)
Attachments
TLI-result.jpg
TLI-result.jpg (41.37 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
My name is Shirley we live in Beijing in China.
Caesar is a 4-year-old German Shepherd Dog,was diagnosed with EPI in December of 2018。

2018.12,TLI:3.7 μg/l;folic acid:2.67ng/ml(Below normal);B12:181.1pg/ml(Below normal)
2019.1,folic acid:28.39nmol/l(normal value);B12:648pmol/l(normal value)
2020.11 TLI:3.9 μg/l;folic acid:3.65ng/ml(normal);B12:570pg/ml(normal)

We use Pancreatin, Tylan and B12 injection

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 11 Apr 2019, 07:27

Hello Shirley

I note from your results that the folate is low this can also indicate a food intolerance as well as the potential epi i am trying to find a link for this but in the meantime i am posting an article about malabsorption...so it may be the food needs adjusting as well not sure what you are feeding.
https://epi4dogs.com/malabsorption/
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Apr 2019, 09:08

For now you are doing just fine in keeping your pup healthy. Lets keep up your routine and see what the retest score is in June.

You are doing great!

Just something to keep an eye on. I have fed Acana Appalachian Ranchlands and Acana red meats for 12 years. My dogs are not EPI.

The fiber in Acana tends to run around 6% max on their foods. This might be too high and invite SID or gut issues. Also, Acana has added more lentil ingredients which can also invite issues. Here is part of the Red meats ingredients:

"Deboned beef, deboned pork, beef meal, whole red lentils, whole pinto beans, whole green peas, pork meal, beef fat, whole green lentils, whole chickpeas, whole yellow peas, deboned lamb, pollock oil, lentil fiber, natural pork flavor"

So if the poops stay bad somewhere down the line you might see if there is a food with around 3.5% fiber and less or no lentil involved.

Just a heads up.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 11 Apr 2019, 09:52

Hi and welcome to our EPI family!! Ann raised a VERY IMPORTANT issue. The folate is low which can indicate proximal small intestine disease also known commonly referred to as food sensitivities or IBD. If this is not addressed you are not going to see optimal results. If this is the case, which I suspect it is, your dog will need a prescription hydrolyzed food (the food is broken down so much that the dog's system does not recognize the offending ingredients). The one that we have found a lot of our members with both EPI and IBD use with good results is Royal Canin Ultamino. I would talk to your veterinarian right away and see if you can get that food. There are only 3 truly hydrolyzed foods so if the Royal Canin does not work you can try one of the others. Keep using the enzymes (1tsp per cup of kibble). Keep us posted.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

shirleyfang

Post by shirleyfang » 12 Apr 2019, 02:16

Miss Maddie Moo wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 07:27 Hello Shirley

I note from your results that the folate is low this can also indicate a food intolerance as well as the potential epi i am trying to find a link for this but in the meantime i am posting an article about malabsorption...so it may be the food needs adjusting as well not sure what you are feeding.
https://epi4dogs.com/malabsorption/
Thank you.I read this article carefully.

At the time of the first test results, Caesar's three data were very low, so I gave him pancreatic enzymes, B12 injections and folic acid tablets.
The second test was carried out in January 2019, but only B12 and folic acid were detected.
I found a Chinese laboratory, so the unit of data is different from the first one.But the result is within the normal range.
The picture was taken, so it's a little blurred.

I will continue to treat Caesar in the current way and see if the next test results are within the normal range.
Once the result comes out, I will send it to the forum.Thank you again.
Attachments
folate.jpg
folate.jpg (135.12 KiB) Viewed 3516 times
B12.jpg
B12.jpg (177.64 KiB) Viewed 3516 times
Caesar is a 4-year-old German Shepherd Dog,was diagnosed with EPI in December of 2018。

2018.12,TLI:3.7 μg/l;folic acid:2.67ng/ml(Below normal);B12:181.1pg/ml(Below normal)

shirleyfang

Post by shirleyfang » 12 Apr 2019, 02:44

Madelon wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 09:52 Hi and welcome to our EPI family!! Ann raised a VERY IMPORTANT issue. The folate is low which can indicate proximal small intestine disease also known commonly referred to as food sensitivities or IBD. If this is not addressed you are not going to see optimal results. If this is the case, which I suspect it is, your dog will need a prescription hydrolyzed food (the food is broken down so much that the dog's system does not recognize the offending ingredients). The one that we have found a lot of our members with both EPI and IBD use with good results is Royal Canin Ultamino. I would talk to your veterinarian right away and see if you can get that food. There are only 3 truly hydrolyzed foods so if the Royal Canin does not work you can try one of the others. Keep using the enzymes (1tsp per cup of kibble). Keep us posted.
Thank you for your advice.
Like I answered Miss Maddie Moo, I will wait for the next test result and post it in the forum.
In addition, my veterinarian recommended the Royal Canin Veterinary Diet to me.But I thought the formula of dog food wasn't good at that time.
If Caesar's situation does not continue to improve, I will consider prescription hydrolyzed food.

MaysonCallson
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Nix
My name: MaysonCallson

Post by MaysonCallson » 25 Jul 2022, 06:44

So sorry for your dog! I hope he feels good and will recover as soon as possible. I’m not a vet, just a common dog owner. However, I’ve got a friend from shelterapet he has vet education, so I think he knows better. When Nix (my dog) lost a lot of weight, he suggested giving hr hemp, enzymes, and vitamins

MaysonCallson
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Nix
My name: MaysonCallson

Post by MaysonCallson » 28 Jul 2022, 05:21

MaysonCallson wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 06:44 So sorry for your dog! I hope he feels good and will recover as soon as possible. I’m not a vet, just a common dog owner. When Nix (my dog) lost a lot of weight, he suggested giving hr hemp, enzymes, and vitamins
I won't write a list here because choosing the right vitamins requires an analysis of your dog's health. In my case, it worked and Dolly is now completely healthy. So I hope it helps you too. Don't forget to give your dog her favorite foods more often, it will help the process and increase her appetite. Let me know if this was helpful!