Not epi

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Kzh

Not epi

Post by Kzh » 18 Apr 2019, 06:39

Hello everyone

It's been a while since I posted. We have been on a roller coater ride the last couple of months. I had joined this group back in November I think as my pup was having epi symptoms. I have had so much help and support from this group. You have all been great. Thankyou.
I will be leaving this group as my pup does not have Epi. He was recently diagnosed with CKF. News was devastating but we are dealing with it a day at a time. He has responded very well to treatment so we are optimistic. The biggest problem I have is he doesn't want to eat at all and it could be because of the acid reflux. We have tried some antacid but nothing seems to be helping.
A very big thankyou goes to Olesia. I had reached out to her a couple of months ago about my pup. I can't tell you enough what a wonderful person she is. She answered all my emails and with her help we finally got a diagnosis. THANKYOU OLESIA ❤️
Francine

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Re: Not epi

Post by Riley's Mom » 18 Apr 2019, 07:48

I'm glad you were able to finally find a diagnosis. I'm so sorry you didn't get news you hoped for.
Olesia is a wealth of knowledge and I'm glad she was able to help you.
We can still be here for you for support, even though we can't advise you about CKF.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Apr 2019, 09:29

Hi, so sorry about your pup's diagnosis. I found that the suggestions helped:
Warm the food so there is a good odor coming off

Warm up low or no sodium broth and add

There are topper gravies you can buy, warm first

Make french toast. Mick had a sweet tooth but also high blood pressure. Low sodium bread, dunk in egg, fry in non stick pan, lightly drizzle syrup. Cut up and hand feed if need be.

Tuna water drizzled on food

Keep in touch
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 18 Apr 2019, 10:56

firstly I am so sad you are dealing with this, but it sounds like you have a positive vet and a plan

Olesia will be pleased with your words

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Apr 2019, 12:03

Hi Francine,

Thank you for your very kind words, It was my pleasure to work with you and your vet . So glad we finally figured out what was going on with Zeus. Although Zeus does not have EPI, please know that you are always welcome here on Epi4Dogs. Once part of our family, always part of our family.

Regarding the non-eating :(
  • 1. First keep a close eye on Zeus's water intake... make sure dehydration (even slightly) is not going on.
    2. Next to encourage eating... some simple things to try is serving the food slightly warm, sometimes that helps encourage them to eat.
    3. Add chicken broth to the food (cool, remove coagulated fat, then warm up and mix in food)
    4. OR.... if none of the above works, talk to your vet (don't laugh) about try a CBD product from hemp (NOT marijuana which is toxic to dogs). There is enough medical science behind CBD now where it is being used successfully in many cases with inappetence & inflammation (depending on the individual dog). And if it doesn't help, at least it won't hurt.
    5. If none of the above works, talk to your vet about trying the following drugs: Mirtazapine, Meclizine... or a new druge that is a Ghrelin Receptor Agonist drug called "Entyce".... HOWEVER.... although this can be used with kidney disease, they do caution use with end stage kidney disease (renal failure) here is the data sheet on Entyce to share with your vet: https://www.aratana.com/wp-content/uplo ... -FINAL.pdf. I am working with another person with a dog with really severe inappetence....and ENTYCE worked. SO you might want to have your vet look into it to see if it might (or might not) be appropriate for Zeus.
Although not EPI..... please know that we would still love to hear from you and how Zeus is doing when you have time......
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kzh

Post by Kzh » 19 Apr 2019, 00:52

Thankyou all for your kind words and encouragement. You are a wonderful group of people.
I will take your suggestions and try them. Warming up his food I have done. Zeus is on hypoallergenic food right now and has been doing well on it. Vet wants me to try RKD kibble.
I do have a question if any of you can help. I started him on slippery elm 2 days ago. I am giving it to him 3 times a day before each meal. He takes Ipakitine twice a day and kcmega3 2x and B12 capsules. Do these interfere with the slippery elm if given together? I make a syrup out of the slippery elm. 1 cup water with 1 teaspoon slippery elm. I cook it and give him 30 ml each feeding. Is that OK.
Yes I will stay in the group. Thankyou.
Francine and Zeus
💕

Kzh

Post by Kzh » 19 Apr 2019, 07:04

Forgot to mention (about the slippery elm dosage. Forgot to mention it in my last post) Zeus is 36 kilos. He gained 6 kilo in the last 6 weeks😊😊😊

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 19 Apr 2019, 09:05

The slippery elm coats the lining of throat and stomach. Here are guidelines from the tab on the forum:

Give Slippery Elm (SE) powder with breakfast and dinner meals. It can also be given separately with something like yogurt. Just be sure to always give with moisten food, and add a spoon or two of water as SE is a mucilage and will thicken. Incubating not necessary. SE can be give for just a few days, or a week or two…. or it may be given at a reduced amount continuously as a maintenance supplement. Remember…. sometimes even less (Slippery Elm) works better…..

1/8 tsp for dogs under 10lbs,
¼ tsp for dogs 10lbs to 30lbs,
½ tsp for dogs 30lbs to 80lbs,
3/4 tsp for dogs 80lbs to 100lbs,
1 tsp for dog 100/+lbs.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.