TLI is LESS than 1

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
M&BCutter
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Kona

TLI is LESS than 1

Post by M&BCutter » 22 Apr 2019, 14:06

Hi,

Our GSD Kona's TLI came back today at less than 1. This is a new diagnosis and are wondering if there are other success stories of dogs with such a low TLI??????? Please let us know!!

Kona's Dad
Barton + Megan Cutter

Our Kona is a 2 1/2 year old German Shepherd just diagnosed with EPI. She's at 52 pounds down from 61. We are just beginning our journey.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: TLI is LESS than 1

Post by jilbert57 » 22 Apr 2019, 14:49

Hi Kona's Dad and welcome you two to the forum. I do not know the percentage of <1 Tli but it is a bunch.
Do you know if the vet also did B12 and folate test at the same time?
There are 4 cornerstones in managing EPI:
1. Enzymes. All food eaten must have enzymes on it. Did your vet prescribe any?

2. Diet. Usually a grain free diet is followed as the grain may invite SID in the gut plus grain somewhat inhibits the action of the enzymes. Also the food needs to be low fiber, 4% or lower.

3. Antibiotic. If the pup has SID in the gut a 45 day course of antibiotic is usually prescribed, such as Tylan or Metro. Sometimes the enzymes will take care of the SID.

4. B12. Usually EPI and low B12 go hand in hand. An EPI dogs B12 needs to be 600 or higher.

Please post any results of diagnostics for EPI and let us know what you are feeding, any meds, etc... that will help us.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 22 Apr 2019, 15:51

Kara's was < 1

so dont worry

Kara was diagnosed in 2010 and she is still here

can you tell us the other results you were given, and what the vets advised

food

enzymes

b12

antibiotics

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

M&BCutter

Post by M&BCutter » 22 Apr 2019, 15:57

Hi Jilbret57,

Thanks for your note. We're slightly ahead of the game as my wife thought it was EPI, we were just waiting test confirmation. So to your points- yes, vet prescibed enzymes, though we have some on order from Enzyme Diane, the vet is starting her at 2 tsp per meal. We've already been working on food, trying a few different kibble, we found and are starting her on Pet Pantry GF Buffalo & Duck. It has 30% protein, 4% fiber, 16% fat, it also has .25 mg/kg of B12. We'll see how this does for her. We've done one round (14 days) of Metro, but that was before diagnosis. So far, our vet hasn't mentioned another round yet. Kona's B12 came back as 354 and her folate was 11.5. Since the new kibble has some B12 we were going to see how that did and then retest for that specifically. Her tests also showed high SDMA (15) and low cholesterol (99). We should have a full uranalysis back soon.

Kona's Dad, B
Barton + Megan Cutter

Our Kona is a 2 1/2 year old German Shepherd just diagnosed with EPI. She's at 52 pounds down from 61. We are just beginning our journey.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 22 Apr 2019, 16:30

its one teaspoon per cup of food

just an fyi
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

M&BCutter

Post by M&BCutter » 22 Apr 2019, 16:41

Yes, thanks.
Barton + Megan Cutter

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 22 Apr 2019, 17:55

Hi and welcome to the forum
Try not to get too hung up on the TLI result, once the TLI number reaches the level that it is positive for EPI, it really isn't significant that it's below 1, the treatment will be the same.....
Jill and Jean have given you good info to start. Plan to retest the B12, over 80% of EPI dogs need supplementation for life. It is great that the food has it, that might be enough, but I would certainly retest that in a month or so. Also, EPI dogs seem to do better with B12 in the 600 or greater range, so shoot for that!
Ask questions as you have them and welcome to our EPI family.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 22 Apr 2019, 17:59

With a result of 354 for B12 you might think about oral supplementation. You will need B12 with Intrinsic factor. Folks use the pills daily to get the B12 up over 600. I would think that the amount added to the food by the manufacturer
would be fine for a non EPI dog but not sure for our dogs. Just a thought.

https://epi4dogs.com/b12-in-brief-2/
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

M&BCutter

Post by M&BCutter » 22 Apr 2019, 18:30

Thanks all, this is awesome information and is already making us feel better. We will look into B12 supplements. Keep the tips coming, please.
Barton + Megan Cutter

Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

Post by Paige's Guardian » 22 Apr 2019, 19:53

You are in good hands. This is the best website for information and sounds like you have a vet that is knowledgeable.

No worries. Recommend using a journal to write down food, enzymes and poop quality to help keep it all straight.

Conny
Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food